Home | About | Donate

'Let This Echo Around the World': Nearly 50 Years After US-Backed Coup, Chile Votes to Rewrite Pinochet Era Constitution

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/26/let-echo-around-world-nearly-50-years-after-us-backed-coup-chile-votes-rewrite

3 Likes

If I were a religious person, I would pray that this new constitution not be hijacked by the ever-present neoliberal/neocon ghouls that will surely attempt to undermine all that is good and decent for the people of Chile.

With that caveat - Well Done!!

14 Likes

Hats off! Bravissimi!

This is what it is going to take. Get a sense in our struggles during the 1960’s as a way onward:

On The Ropes, Neil J. Smith

~https://www.austinmacauley.com/us/book/ropes-0
~https://www.williamdam.dk/engelske-boeger/on-the-ropes__1828522

In the words of the author, Neil J. Smith:

Let me introduce myself, Neil J. Smith , by first introducing my book, On The Ropes , a boxing story, a love story and a ghost story unlike any other. It is, as wrote T.S. Eliot, The pastness of the past, but its presence too. Set against the backdrop of the boxing ring, On The Ropes is, generally speaking, a tale of the domestic turbulence which, along with the Vietnam War, rocked the late '60’s to its foundation, turning the sociopolitical spectrum on its head. It is a story of inner-city Blues, of black northern youth’s heartened by the historic success of the Southern-based Civil Rights Movement, took revolution on as a call to arms with the outcry Seize the time on their lips. And gave rise to The Black Panther Party, in light of the greater Civil Rights Movement. In conjunction with the aforesaid, On The Ropes relays the story of The Free Speech Movement, which helped galvanize radical white students, identifying their cause with the struggle of inner city blacks, on University Campuses nationwide. Among other things, it is a story of the complexity of interracial relations during a time of war and civil strife.

In short, On The Ropes, is multi-factorial, takes the 60’s to task and explores some of the more widespread myths of the day. It also reveals a
nobility of Spirit that was characteristic of the Black Panthers but seldom heralded. Indeed, the Panthers may rightly be compared to King Arthur’s
Knights of The Round table legend. Their successes and failures were relatively similar, and quest for the Grail stifled. The stuff of chivalry surely. Hence, its protagonist is Percival.

Smith was born in the Bahamas but raised in four of the five New York boroughs , excluding the Bronx, from age seven onwards, Neil J . Smith was the fifth child of ten children. He says “I was ill-educated in as many schools” and did not receive an education until he discovered the library system. He has done multiple readings and workshops in both Columbia and Greene Counties in New York State.

From the late great poet, editor of The NY Quarterly, professor, playwright and writer, William Packard:

“Your book—colossal power, sharp, spot-on writing. Issues of rape and fratricide are explored with the dialectical seriousness that echoes Old Testament and Dostoyevsky. You break through the ‘cool’ that infects our modern world and show the human soul in deepest wrestling with itself.”

From the story:

*“More, perhaps, like Mardi Gras in hell there existed an element of mad cap revelry. The flames danced, sizzled and spat like a pit full of venomous snakes under the watery assault from fire hoses. But the fire raged on out of control, making everything shimmer in its leaping light, giving an appearance of instability to all on which it cast its eerie glow. The rioters were so grotesquely distorted by the coloration of crackling flames that they looked like members of a cast in the rousing finale of a burlesque show, as they jumped and spun about like whirling dervishes, whooping gleefully, “Burn, baby, burn!” And the flames soared higher and higher into the night sky. The roof of one of the buildings was heard to crash in on itself, sending sparks and flaming debris shooting off in all directions."

2 Likes

Good news!
Hulu recommended this documentary last night. It was good.

~https://www.hulu.com/movie/the-shock-doctrine-d220d9fe-4d62-4e7f-a733-e9d2c88dede5
The Shock Doctrine
> Documentaries • Movie • 2009
> Filmmakers Michael Winterbottom and Mat Whitecross use lectures by Naomi Klein, newsreel footage and analysis to explain the connection between politics and economics.

Based on this book.

~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shock_Doctrine
The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism is a 2007 book by the Canadian author and social activist Naomi Klein.

3 Likes

How would you like to see THIS headline:

Let This Echo Around the World: In the U.S.A., “We the People”-Backed Coup, Votes to Rewrite Constitution

13 Likes

Wonderful news. Naomi Klein’s ground-breaking “Shock Doctrine” was excellent. But Nancy Macleans “Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America” was a great book that got far too little attention. It describes how libertarians led by James Buchanan and Charles Koch have for decades been leading the effort to not let their elite minority be threatened by democracy. It is perhaps the best book I’ve ever read to explain how the right has taken over our country. It explained the right wing takeover of Chile and how the constitution was re-written to insure that the masses could never have a say. So what a great surprise this is!

Book by Nancy Maclean

7 Likes

Kissinger must be turning over in his grave, Oh wait a minute he’s still alive, I wonder if he has any guilt to the evil he perpetuated (not only Chile but around the world). Justice is a long time coming … if ever.

11 Likes

Book him, Danno.

4 Likes

After all these years and so much evidence revealed about U.S. covert action against a democratically elected government, perhaps a formal apology is due to the Chilean people?

Common Dreams a decade ago

~https://www.commondreams.org/views/2009/08/21/pinochets-enablers-us-brazil

8 Likes

They stay up at night maniacally working their projects, while healthy people get a good nights sleep.

3 Likes

This is great news. the people of Bolivia and now Chile are leading the way to create a more just world.
But there is so much work to do to protect these countries and to change the deep injustices that exist in this country.

11 Likes

“I wonder if he has any guilt to the evil he perpetuated.”

I’m betting no, can sociopath’s feel guilt?

3 Likes

It’s time for the Chilean people to go to the World Court, and ask for case of ‘Crimes against Humanity’ against Kissinger, Nixon and the U.S.

10 Likes

Note that every US POTUS from Ford to Trump has solicited advice from Kissinger.

6 Likes

I wish I could, I wish somebody would, and he’d be herded along with many, way too many, other American oppressors/war criminals.

3 Likes

This is especially important for those who post that change is impossible. It ain’t.

6 Likes

“The people of Chile have shed the shackles of Pinochetismo/USA empire—and opened a new chapter in their history.”
—Progressive International

4 Likes

Just like the revolution would never be televised, your headline would never be printed in the MSM, except as a radical, left wing, unpatriotic, terrorist, coup.

3 Likes

"Placed in a historic transition, I will pay for loyalty to the people with my life. And I say to them that I am certain that the seeds which we have planted in the good conscience of thousands and thousands of Chileans will not be shriveled forever. They have force and will be able to dominate us, but social processes can be arrested by neither crime nor force. History is ours, and people make history.

Workers of my country: I want to thank you for the loyalty that you always had, the confidence that you deposited in a man who was only an interpreter of great yearnings for justice, who gave his word that he would respect the Constitution and the law and did just that."

From Salvador Allende’s last radio broadcast,
9-11-1973.

6 Likes

Second that. The book goes into some detail as to how the “Chicago Boys” the Friedman crowd along with Buchanan were instrumental in the writing of the Chilean constitution. I would emphasize that it is a neoliberal document, not a right-wing document. In truth there is no difference but so many people are ignorant to the threat of the left wing neoliberals (Clintons, Schumer, Biden, Harris, and etc.) who would relish having a Chilean constitution.

2 Likes