Home | About | Donate

Let Us Fight Together for Economic, Social, Racial and Environmental Justice, Not Unbridled Greed

Let Us Fight Together for Economic, Social, Racial and Environmental Justice, Not Unbridled Greed

Bernie Sanders

The following is the response, as prepared for delivery, to President Donald Trump's State of the Union address delivered on Tuesday February 5, 2019.

2 Likes

Keep this reality front and center. Bernie may be a sheepdog, but he’s still a stand out when it comes to laying bare the sad reality of American capitalism.

Now he needs to call out the complicity of the 2-party farce in maintaining this ugly status quo on behalf of the greedy oligarchs Bernie wants to fight.

3 Likes

Identity-politics has not served us well. The first skin-deep black president turned his back on sub-prime black borrowers, and others of color, to embrace Wall Street. The first major party woman presidential nominee rakes in millions from paid speeches to war-profiteers, then advocates war, hardly a nurturing instinct. They both benefited from the identity-politics game, but their centrist neo-liberal bent left voters cold, and so, between the two of them, lost the House, the Senate and the White House in 2014 and 2016. Are we prepared to risk another electoral disaster by playing the identity-politics game again?

The utter disaster of four more years of Trump precludes the luxury to consider the ‘cool factor’ - woman, Latino, Asian Indian, black - normally ‘cool’ presidential candidates all, but a risky move at this life-or-death moment for our republic. This moment calls for a national leader who is: (1) The best known and most popular Democrat, nay, national figure, in the country in all polls. (2) The only one with seasoned experience as both chief executive and legislator. (3) The original driver, rather than a late comer hitch-rider, of the band wagon of progressive programs. (4) Energetic, skilled, and articulate, someone who showed us how to wage an effective national campaign. (5) The first and only ever to raise millions from small donations. (6) A hero to a new young generation of involved citizens.

If you can think of a second person who has all these qualifications, please enlighten us. If you can’t, then get behind Bernie Sanders, and work like hell with him to save our country from Trump. We have beaten the centrist Democrats and the billionaires recently; we can do it again.

8 Likes

and Bernie may not be a sheepdog, he knows the game in Washington DC so he plays it somewhat. I say somewhat because he still has the lamestreet media and most of demo elites dumping on him so he is not a good sheepdog.

Please don’t throw stones at one of our staunches politicians who is working for the people and planet.

8 Likes

You’re depending on one person Bernie to do all of the dirty work- and we have over 300 million people in this country who could be speaking out!

3 Likes

HI Bernie, and Itried to vote for you but the Electoral bots and Hillaryites and the AP took away your win. If you had won we wouldn’t be in the sad state of despair that is now America.
I agreed with everything you said, except, when Trump says the “economy is booming, '” I think he means for the war corporations, and the troika of terrorists the Bolton, The Pompeo and the recycled Abrams guy from Iran Contra. So when he says bombing, he no doubt means he’s ready to line up a nation that’s not in the ME to bomb----because no one wants another losing endless war there. I guess he’s looking for a fresh war area, because war is our national product!
Maybe you think this too, but you really can’t say it, because, America is always big on denial. ( our second most exported product! : )

1 Like

Senator Bernie Sanders, the most popular politician in America and the definition of a “Leader”.
I watched a live speech of his on youtube a while back with streaming comments and one was “ssshhhhh The President is speaking”. To this day that comment makes my eyes well up. There are those that have come forward to say they are running for President, it’s true, they are running in his shadow.

2 Likes

By playing the game, Bernie perpetuates the game.

Is this the time to stay within the guardrails erected by the the corporate donor class?

Because if Bernie thinks it is, he should change the name of his organization. Our Revolution doesn’t fit with his status quo approach.

Unfortunately the game is rigged and to fight against it takes cunning and experience…after-all the goal is to win and change the status-quo isn’t it? This is the time to win, not expect/demand the unattainable from our allies!

Denigrating one who has fought most all his life and lived the fight, not profited/gained beyond what was needed for his life, not become a cog in the wheels and not become silent, is actually to serve the status quo IMO - it does not build the coalition needed to defeat the PTB. Bernie Sanders is still the voice for great change and a path to win, given the rot that surrounds us all! Please don’t throw the baby out with the bathtub, and please support the one that really deserves such support and recognition…even given his “warts” and perceived failures to live up to your expectations…walk a mile in his shoes before throwing rocks that are not deserved! Only a fool spits into the wind…

1 Like

Bernie has pre-capitulated by deciding that the d-party is the only game in town. As such, he will offer up a repeat performance of 2016 and support whichever corporate puppet the Ds offer up as ‘not Trump.’ Please enlighten me about the cunning it takes to change the status quo by blindly playing along with it.

I sympathize with Bernie, but how about instead of perpetuating the rigged game, he announces that he won’t back any candidate who doesn’t sign a pledge to support expanded, improved MFA? Because if Bernie is just another gutless LOTE tactician, he’s part of the problem, not the win.

“Work together” with Sanders if you feel it’s the right thing to do, but never delude yourself into thinking that it’s working together to make substantive and fundamental changes to the system, that it is an actual revolution. It’s working together to maintain the status quo, even if it is a more compassionate, more equitable version of the status quo. A revolution it is not and never will be, not when it means working together and compromising and hoping for concessions via the very Democrats who are the problem and have made a career out of neutering progressive threats like Sanders and, make no mistake, Sanders will sell out to whatever and whoever the party selects. That’s political maneuvering within the system, not a revolution.

1 Like

Maybe if “the people” would get off their a**** and do what Bernie repeatedly says/asks/requests/begs, and work with him to demand the changes the people say they want, fewer concessions would (need to) be made.

1 Like

Some don’t credit Sanders with any integrity or intelligence and also seem clairvoyant in determining what he will do and why! His words are only to “sheepdog” the rubes they say. To demand what they consider “the perfect” when we need the imperfect to overcome, at this point in time, is not helpful to promoting radical change.

The realities as I see them are that, like it or not, the DP is “the only viable game in town” at this point in time…I vote Green whenever possible, but the national mechanisms, media, etc, etc are stacked against radical change - the duopoly entrenched. To effect radical change we must elect people of conscience and integrity…there is no magic involved, it is a vicious struggle and to say Sanders is just part and parcel of the enemy is not rational or effective to create the mass movement needed, given the political and social realities of the moment.
To claim that if Sanders “formed a third party” all would be well, or he is “perpetuating the game” by not doing so, and he is “just another gutless LOTE politician” is false IMO, and serves the status quo, not radical change. Sanders is demonstrably not just another politician, neither is A O-C who was elected as a Dem - both speak truth to power to energize and educate the opposition; naysayers might as well work for the entrenched oppressors!

The clock is ticking, and changing the game demands a coalition we will not build without some people that don’t always measure-up to our own ideas of what they should or shouldn’t do or think…Many who trash Sanders undermine and derail what he is fighting for, claiming themselves “progressive” or “real left” or whatever - agents provocateur, but the PTB must be smashed and it won’t be accomplished by dividing “ourselves” and trashing allies for not doing and saying what some think they should, when they think they should!..that divisive BS serves only the status quo.

1 Like

Sorry, but jneastra speaks to my point of view. I’ve been a Sanders supporter for years – in this day and age, he’s what passes for a far left politician – but in the final analysis, his laudable 2016 agenda was ignored by the d-party establishment, just like Pelosi will do this time around with the Green New Deal and expanded, improved MFA. C’mon, man, how much clearer can Pelosi be about giving a nod and a wink to big health insurers and fossil fuel interests? How long can Bernie keep his power dry before he comes out and directly charges d-party leadership with being the primary roadblock to taking on the donor class?

And every time Bernie talks about Russian election meddling, he looks like a fool. Just sayin.’

Agreed about Pelosi and the soldout DINO establishment; both are in bed with the status quo. I just believe the sea-change we desperately need must be fought on several fronts at once—building a powerful alliance, promoting real progressives, and not undermining allies; those fronts include using the admittedly corrupt DINO half of the duopoly system to elect progressives…that too will take time to shift the dynamic…if at all. Little will likely change fast enough to make the difference we need.

1 Like

Sure, let’s work on all battle lines. On the other hand, I’m going to limit the time I waste on reforming the d-party. That’s fool’s errand, and frankly, Bernie should know better.

We’re on the same team, Emphyrio. And we definitely agree on this: “Little will likely change fast enough to make the difference we need.”

1 Like