Home | About | Donate

Lethal Injection Revisited

Lethal Injection Revisited

Christopher Brauchli

We all of course, would like to think that we are ‘moving down the road toward human decency’ . . .Within the confines of this judicial proceeding, however, we have no way of knowing in which direction that road lies.

William Rehnquist, Rummel v.
Estelle, (1980)

Increasingly, authorities and media frame events to blame victims and exonerate executioners of all stripes and sorts.

This qualifies as a rather unique version of this apparently well-honored protocol:

'He also observed that the prisoners “failed to identify a known and available alternative method of execution that entails a lesser risk of pain, a requirement of all Eighth Amendment method-of-execution claims.” In short, the Court would have been more amenable to the request for a preliminary injunction had the prisoners suggested alternate ways they would like to be executed."

These disgusting right wing judges come straight out of The Inquisition. They'd be quite at home in that dark era, too.

I do not understand why we waste so much effort talking about how humanely we kill people.

Maybe you're the person who thinks that the death penalty is a positive thing because those who break the law should pay a price for it. Maybe that person violently murdered another person. Well, then why are we talking about humanely murdering this person who didn't humanely murder the other person?

Or maybe you disagree with the death penalty entirely. In that case, this problem is irrelevant. The person is dying, whether you do it humanely or not.

Again, I think this is no better than the mainstream media. We spend so much effort on the distractions. We might as well be talking about celebrities in this article.

Why don't we talk about something that matters?

I am one who disagrees with the death penalty entirely.
However, I do think it matters HOW we allow persons to be
executed in our name until it can be abolished altogether.
Yes, making it more palatable to observers and those who want
not to feel guilty about favoring it make it less important to end the practice altogether.
On the other hand, this question as to how "humanely" the proceedure is done
has brought the mainstream public closer to questioning it's use than at any time since Gary Gillmore faced a firing squad. That is why it matters.