Home | About | Donate

Lethal Levels of Radiation Found in Damaged Fukushima Reactor Will Have 'Huge Impact' on Shutdown, Regulators Warn

I did stop eating Gulf shrimp, oysters, fish after that.
I do what I can to stay away from Pacific seafood in general.
Think the Atlantic is safe? Nope. They’ve been dumping Nuke waste there for many decades

The Atlantic Trench, a Serious Nuclear Pollution Problem
~https://thecostaricanews.com/the-atlantic-trench-a-serious-nuclear-pollution-problem/

2 Likes

When they decommission nuclear power plants they remain humming with energy, just a lot less of it.

Ive seen videos on YouTube taken by people exploring them.

This is because they have to keep cooling the spent fuel pools by pumping fresh water over them. It would not be okay to stop.

2 Likes

As long as they don’t know, they can say “We don’t know”.

And pat one another on the back.

1 Like

Don’t most nukes have large diesel generators with enough fuel for many weeks? I thought the Fukushima meltdown was due to not only the fuel pools rupturing but the diesels also being washed away. I know that many nukes, including the one I worked at, were capable of cooling the core via ‘natural circulation’ which does not require electricity to cool the core. All that assumed the piping systems remained intact of course (which wasn’t the case in Japan). The root cause of both Chernobyl and 3-Mile Island was the engineers bypassing of safety systems…

You have to do a failure analysis looking at all of the pieces of the chain. And I think only experts, and not the ones whose income depends on saying everything is just fine, would be in a position to know. Ive seen a lot of expert reports on this issue and they all say its a serious potential problem, one thats likely to happen sometime within our lifetimes, which we have to address before it does.

a really epic disaster waiting to happen, unless we make it safe. To do that we need to make it so that the hot nuclear waste is not going to need cooling and babysitting.

Simply having the power be taken offline for an extended period of time could cause huge numbers of deaths.

How would water be pumped, how would people pay for things?

Also, lets face it, as a country, we are known for our hubris and frequently, irresponsibility. Look at the COVID-19 fiasco, which nobody can say was even remotely unexpected.

That’s kinda true; I worked as contractor on decommissioning a plant and one thing I was surprised to learn was that after 7 years out of the reactor and in a cooling pool, assemblies have decayed enough to allow for air cooling. The water than only provides shielding which can also be provided by a concrete cask. We placed about 200 assemblies in a concrete cask (underwater), verified no leakage from the fuel rods, removed the cask and set it up outside. Natural air circulation will then cool the assemblies.

So, what happens in a drought, or if some natural event leads to a dry year, like a volcanic eruption in iceland… A very cold, dry year with so much ash in the sky that there is no rain or wind or solar heating that generates enough power. So dry and dark that entire forests of trees just die and start presenting a danger to people. Of course, tress do grow back, but it takes a while.

I once had a friend who survived the Mt. St Helens eruption. (barely) He was a very healthy guy before this happened.

Oh certainly a Carrington event would be catastrophic, but nukes would certainly not be the only (or even the worst) problem. Think no electricity for years, no factories, virtually no transportation, no medicines, no communication, no food, etc.

There wouldn’t be that much devastation, probably smaller areas with less dependency on big everything would do fine. People who had the money would just move there. That’s happened with COVID-19, large numbers of better off people have moved to country areas.

They would probably bring water pumps online first.

That would certainly affect operating nukes but again if its a large-scale event that limits solar radiation that much, food supplies would be seriously degraded.

When big volcanoes erupt the weather in that hemisphere changes for a variable amount of time. Usually not very much. It gets cooler. But statistically every once in a while we have a year without a summer.

Benjamin Franklin wrote a fair amount about this, ironically, he is also credited as being one of the “inventors of electricity” He was a curious mind who thought through the implications of things.

Analyses I’ve seen show that, as you have stated most large transformers will be destroyed. That brings down the grid and prevents power plant operation and factories from building new transformers for years. Automobiles, trucks, and planes that depend on computers (almost everything manufactured since 1998) would also cease to work unless they were ‘EMP-hardened’ military vehicles. Everyone who needs insulin or other life-sustaining medicine would be dead in the first couple months. People without gardens would follow shortly. Such EMP events are the real risk of ‘limited’ nuclear exchanges.

Franklin was truly a Renaissance Man.

They would fortify gardens and water sources.

Thats what they did at Hovenweep, an Anasazi settlement in Colorado(near Utah) . They had a drought that lasted more than a century.

There was cannibalism in the area, people were that hungry.

Probably the water drying up caused migration out of the area to the few areas with reliable water, or out of the area.

They left ruins which survived in pretty good shape until the historic era.

That would indeed be a necessity to survive. Fortify or conceal.

The cliff dwellings were a form of concealment, and defense, they were very difficult to get into, and if you made one false step you would fall to your death.

Unfortunately there are no such cliffs in Florida. Flatland complicates fortification (and concealment)

Have you ever read “The Florida of the Inca”? Thats an interesting book.

I have not, but based on the Amazon synopsis, it certainly sounds like this is something to put on my ‘to-do’ list. Thanks.

~https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/garflo