Home | About | Donate

Let's Be Clear, Says Mexico Environment Minister, 'Parasitic and Predatory Neoliberalism' to Blame for Climate Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/05/30/lets-be-clear-says-mexico-environment-minister-parasitic-and-predatory-neoliberalism

6 Likes

Has Trump tweeted, Fake News yet?

1 Like

He can say all of the common sense things he wants, but they fall on deaf ears in and around this trump administration. Here money and power rule over life and death. Just ask our dead soldiers, our drought enhanced forest fires and the rising tides.
We suck, mostly from the top down.

9 Likes

I was just yesterday having a conversation with a staff member at the apartment complex I live at who is from Mexico about Mexico’s new president and the ways that Mexico’s economy and way of life are already improving. I told him it may be the case that we may be moving from the U.S. to Mexico (across the border). I was discussing this in jest, somewhat, but, becoming an ex-Pat has been on my mind for many years now.

Edit: He also noted that when Mr. Trump threatened Mexico with tariffs on avocados, Mexico’s president basically said, “okay, fine, we’ll do business with China instead”. Trump was then forced to backtrack, but Mexico had already made the deal and now the U.S. consumer will now pay a great deal more for avocados. Our country is in the shits.

12 Likes

Predatory neoliberals - I don’t think he was referring to Trump.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a true leader speaking truth to power. We need thousands of leaders like him to change course to
life on earth.

9 Likes

Go see a doctor man you are down on yourself

1 Like

I have lived and worked all over Mexico from Cancun to Mazatlan but kept my U.S. citizenship and Mexico is not for me permanently. I have relatives that have moved to Costa Rica and New Zealand which in my view are better choices; especially, New Zealand but with the caveat that country is very difficult to move to and you need to have a lot of $$$$; some good connections; or some high tech skills.

2 Likes

And into this world has been sent the newmessage.org… a Communication and Message, only that of which has the power to counter-balance the pending collapse of the Biosphere and put humanity on a new path forward…This is no panacea as things will change and must change…if humanity is to survive into the future…This new communication works from and through each person on this planet… This new message reveals a New Spirituality for all of humanity…for this is not a new religion, no,…for humanity needs to approach its current peril and predicament in a new way…As others have said including Einstein, that problems cannot be solved on the same level that created them… We have truly moved into a New World Reality, one of which humanity can face separately ( and perish) or together as single race.

4 Likes

Corrupt systems do not last. Corrupt leaders, too.

1 Like

"Human beings are not responsible for global warming, as a superficial environmentalism and uncritical science would like to tell us," said Toledo. "The responsible are a parasitic and predatory minority, and that minority has a name: neoliberalism."

OK - that’s a present tense perspective - a part of what is known in The Anthropocene as “the great acceleration”.

But the problem is more deeply rooted, and Abraham Lincoln saw it clearly:

"It has so happened in all ages of the world, that some have laboured and others have, without labour, enjoyed a large proportion of the fruits. This is wrong, and should not continue."

The human race will be increasingly fighting for survival in the near future. Many already are, but critical mass is apparently not yet here.

But it will be.

Perhaps then, and only then, Peter Ward’s ‘neo-Lamarckianism’ will come into play, and a badly traumatized human race will turn some type of epigenetic corner.

2 Likes

Trump’s tweets are fake… Why does everyone assume that Trump is sending out Tweets…most likely he has a team sending out the tweets.

2 Likes

My wife thinks that too. Some of his tweets are so fourth grade, that I am sure it’s him.

Perhaps, they’ve implemented an algorithm to make his tweets seem more moronic.

Just like him.

6 Likes

Corruption is the basis of American politics and corporate America - I wish I had your optimism.

1 Like

Uh,

1 Like

This man just exposed truth to power. Is it everything I would want said on the subject, no, but what a great start for exposing the evil structure. I applaud this man and the leaders of Mexico for installing him.

9 Likes

Watch how the diversion works. Someone makes a critical remark against the neoliberal capitalism, and the prevaricators turn it into a discussion of Trump. Oddly enough, Trump is exposing himself as the perfect symbol of proto-fascist neoliberal capitalism. Why can’t the duopoly show some love. They are getting exactly what they want.

3 Likes

“so fourth grade…” Funny that. But I think Trump is playing the media and the public like a fiddle. He got his tax giveaways. People are dying in Venezuela, He almost has his war in Iran. His minders have got to be thrilled. And all it took was a pee-pee dossier? Well, I think he also enjoys trashing the joint just for kicks.

However, even conservatives are noticing that he is just a puppet: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/how-the-war-party-broke-trump/

4 Likes

Trump loves two things. Himself, and Money.

If there’s a buck in it for him, he’s there.

As far as trashing “the joint,” I believe he’s well on his way to losing his mind, so others are instrumental in orchestrating the trashing.

Personally, I’d rather smoke the joint.

2 Likes

It’s easier for me to read Spanish than to speak it , because I still have a lot of trouble
translating in my head. But what Mexico’s Environmental Minister did do was to remind us all that Earth is a finite place, and that humans are not necessarily an infinite part of Earth
It reminded me of Hamlet and his "To be or not to be Speech, so listen up you Killer Korporations:
'Existir or no existir, esta es la question " : “To be or not to be, that is the question.”

2 Likes