Home | About | Donate

Let's Make 2018 the Year We Rise Up and Regenerate!

Let's Make 2018 the Year We Rise Up and Regenerate!

Ronnie Cummins

Planet Earth will survive in one form or another, no matter what damage we humans inflict on it. The question is, will we survive with it?

"In the U.S. where industrial agriculture has dominated (and degenerated) for far too long, a growing number of farmers are reclaiming their independence by returning to their roots." (Photo: Public Domain)

Brazil announces end to Amazon mega-dam building policy.

This might sound like flakes on a cake, but its another example of what CAN BE DONE and IS BEING DONE around the world by homo sapiens sapiens fed up with babbling bobbleheadded BS.

Just think about the entire sphere and ripple effects from this.

Hold the Indigenous Peoples EVERYWHERE always in your heart and mind and make whatever contribution, no matter how small, to their - which is increasingly undeniably the well being of all creation. Many of these cultures are still walking encyclopedias needed more than ever. Just ask the pharmaceutical companies.

I’ll part company with Ronnie Cummins on the notion that the future survival of humans is important.

In fact, I pretty much view human extinction as a good thing.

Me too! And for all those who insist on saving everything for the kids and grand kids- well there you go- populating then they swear that they are environmentalists. Glad I never had two legged kids.

Thanks, Ronnie, for all that you’ve done for so long. Keep it up! Many of us are on the same page.

As someone who has been gardening and raising backyard chickens for decades I have been connected with other who are engaged in the same practices. Now living in an rural area inhospitable to gardens, I am delighted that this little town has begun a community garden one year ago. Being there at the first meeting it has been wonderful to see this develop. During the meetings I was baffled by the total lack of understanding of some of the people but of course education is one mission of community gardens. The healthy trend to grow what your eat is spreading if it can happen here.

This seems oxymoron-ish . A rural area where you can’t garden? Is that because of use of pesticides by neighbors, or is it some covenant or other legal restriction?

While lots of suburban areas have developments whose HOAs indeed do put unreasonable covenants on properties therein, this is the 1st time I’ve heard of problems like that in a rural area.

no pesticides, no problem with neighbors. Rock hard soil without nutrients and no rain ! I can and do garden but I can never add enough manure etc and must water frequently. The area is just off the Navajo Nation in NE AZ DESERT

We do grow plants. The word I used is inhospitable. In fact I donated 10 Douglas Firs to the Community Garden to be planted as wind breakers on this hot dry Colorado Plateau.
So there :wink:

I must add a comment about my frustration due to some of the comments during the initial meetings. The Colorado Plateau is hugh, dry with wide open spaces and very few large trees until the elevation rises above 6 thousand feet with the exception of the few in this small town. Besides the dryness it is subjected to winds that can blow for days. So the city gave us a very large area with a watering system and we installed additional plumbing to meter our water usage plus boxes for above the ground planting. There are several mature trees growing there and one person wanted to know if we should “cut the trees down”. Now summer temperatures have increased over the years to triple digits. I was very proud of myself when I bit my tongue and said that our plants would need some shade in the summer months. So it is not just the physical enviroment that makes gardening a challenge.

That’s also pretty cold!

That’s pretty cold!

Thanks for the explanation. It reminds me of a time many years ago when I was visiting Helen & Scott Nearing at their last place in Harborside, Maine. Scott, who was by, the time, in his 90s, was digging a new garden; even though he knew it would be several years of careful amendment before he could make it productive in the harsh sandy/rocky soil. No matter…he had done it before many times in similar conditions. He and Helen were always motivated by vision.

As it was, he lived until just days past his 100th birthday; and was still pretty sharp when I met him. Though he was perhaps most well known in his younger days as an economist and philosopher with decidedly anti-capitalist philosophy, he and Helen were remarkable in many ways, and were the inspiration for many of those who took part in the “back to the land” ‘movement’.

By any measure, humans are causing the extinction of many species–we’ve reduced the population of mammals (outside ourselves) by 50% in just a few decades. I care a lot about those creatures.

By any measure, we have experienced a population outbreak, akin to an out-of-control disease: The human population has come close to quadrupling in a century. It’s still predicted to rise another 20% before topping out.

This epoch has been labeled the Anthropecene–and mass extinction will be its distinguishing feature.