Home | About | Donate

Letter From Indigenous Activists

Letter From Indigenous Activists

Jade Begay, Dallas Goldtooth

Formerly known as Columbus Day, today is Indigenous Peoples Day in more than 80 (and counting) cities, counties, and states. While “official” recognition of this day began in the late 70’s, with the U.N. discussing the replacement of Columbus Day, resistance and challenge to said “holiday” existed in the hearts and minds of Indigenous and Native Peoples long before cities or states began to observe Indigenous Peoples Day.

Positive news at least and worth noting that these initiatives come from our most marginalized peoples.

The time will soon be here when my grandchild will long for the cry of a loon, the flash of a salmon, the whisper of spruce needles, or the screech of an eagle. But he will not make friends with any of these creatures and when his heart aches with longing, he will curse me. Have I done all to keep the air fresh? Have I cared enough about the water? Have I left the eagle to soar in freedom? Have I done everything I could to earn my grandchild’s fondness?

Chief Dan George

We did not inherit this earth from our forefathers, we borrowed it from our grandchildren. – Native American Proverb

“A day will come in your lifetime when the Earth, your mother, will beg you, with tears running, to save her. Ho, if you fail to help her, you and all people will die like dogs. Remember this.” ~Hollow Horn (Lakota), 1929

“We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who cannot speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees.” -Qwatsinas (Chief Moody) Nuxalk Nation

“If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.” ~Chief Seattle

The United States is fortunate to have indigenous people who follow and understand Nature. We need all the help we can get, as the government not only lied to indigenous people so long ago, like Andrew Jackson did in saying that treaties would be respected, “as long as grass grows and rivers run.” Well Andrew, we’re running out of rivers, grass, and time. If the EPA fires all the scientists----at least we’ll have indigenous people and their history to guide the way away from the heartless land thief government/ corporate people.

The only way to get out of this is for us all to be in it together

There was a time when Irish were indigenous people. And Scotts were driven from the land to make room for sheep to feed wool looms that were stolen from what is now Bangladesh after cannon fire by Vasco de Gamma.

We humans are cosmic powered biology. Irish fishermen have been blown to turtle island since the time fishing was invented. A long rain of storm blown Irish were brought back to health and became indigenous.

Columbus killed everyone on Hispañola searching for gold mines that made the tiny indigenous gold trinkets. Four hundred years passed before glitter was noticed at the drip lines of some roofs. Centuries of picking up glitter made a tiny ear ring. Columbus killed them searching for the mines. He was mentally ill, as are many others who strive for authority.

Now we all grasp science and look to the stars and the future. Almost everyone alive today is a survivor of capitalist predators. We are one.

Yes this is the most important message …We Are All One .

Most humans have been living in the illusion .Cultural stories passed down from millenia which we believed to be true .

The culture from which we emerge is causing the demise of the culture .Now we can see this with our own eyes .Our stories are all fallacies born from beliefs about how we thought life should be .Myths based on what god wants and needs which is nothing in ultimate reality.
There are no shoulds in the Univese . Its a process of evolution ,our indigenous sisters and brothers understood that life is all connected this giant web of Mother Earth. They undestood the laws of cause and effect.We are seeing this play out now on a global scale .

However the time of conscious evolution is at hand ,we can use the guiding principle of Oneness to build a new world based on Life as Prime Value ,the sacredness of life has to be the core understanding . Be good stewards of our planet and each other. We are all precious ,it’s time for our consciousness to rise and revere our home planet ,take care of her needs ,let her repair the damage we have caused .Use the wisdom and knowledge from the indigenous peoples and combine this with our technology to create balance !!
There’s a great book called Awaken The Species …It can help.

This has always been the way…the missing message from our religions .
The Spiritual secret that our wise ones have been telling us since time immemorial.
The divine is in all of us .What some call god is what we truly are.

The higher the blasphemy the greater the truth !!

In some places in our world you can be killed for saying such a thing.
Forget religion return to spirituality.

“…for the benefit of all life on this planet. Let’s cherish that. Let’s honor that. Let’s build on that.”

This illustrates the vast gulf between the status quo and this brave and necessary movement. I hope for it’s success and would like to help. The wisdom of indigenous peoples should be listened to. It comes from thousands of years of experience.