Home | About | Donate

Letting Our Values Out Of Their Cage

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/12/letting-our-values-out-their-cage

2 Likes

For me it was Earth Day, April 22, 1970. Having rejected the idea of “God” but still being young enough to be subjugated to the attempted force feeding (indoctrination) of Sunday school, etc., I found my refuge in the idea that interconnectivity of all living things made sense to me. Balance was key. Ecology made sense before I knew the term. I was a native person without ever knowing it. Certainly a heretic in my house. Fortunately, I knew enough to keep my yap shut. When we remember that so many of these refugees cum immigrants have been chased off of their lands by industrial agriculture, mining, etc., we can begin to see that only by obeying the rules of Pachamama can we best safeguard what is left of the human condition. “Nature,” as Francis Bacon espoused, “to be commanded, must first be obeyed.”

11 Likes

WaPo’s “Afghanistan Papers” sez:
“U.S. officials constantly said they were making progress. They were not, and they knew it.” (emphasis added)

Not “progress,” but profits. Juicy, no-bid, cost-plus contracted profits that will continue with another throroughly bipartisan War Profiteering Bill having sailed this week through the House of “Representatives.”

3 Likes

The First Earth day was seminal in my understanding of the ecology of global poisoning/warming. Nothing has changed much since then. We are still on course to extinction, though at the time I hadn’t considered that particular eventuality. The powerful nation states are still causing extreme duress amongst the world’s people struggling to survive. Capitalism as it stands today is terminal. I was in 10th grade for the “teach in” at my high school for the First Earth Day.

3 Likes

Beautiful essay, Robert K. I always read your commentaries. Insightful and uplifting.

1 Like

Hi WiseOwl:
Thank you! That was a great quote from Francis Bacon, : )