Home | About | Donate

LGBTQ Youths Face 'Heartbreaking,' 'Unacceptable' Violence: Study

LGBTQ Youths Face 'Heartbreaking,' 'Unacceptable' Violence: Study

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday released a "heartbreaking" new study which found that LGBTQ youths face significantly higher levels of violence than their heterosexual peers.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer teenagers are far more likely to experience violence and bullying, as well as depression and suicide, the CDC found in the first national study to address the health risks of sexual-minority youths.

I nice follow-up article would be to compare the queer numbers with the straight ones, like with the heroin one

Thanks for the article

"Nations are judged by the health and well-being of their children. Many
would find these levels of physical and sexual violence unacceptable
and something we should act on quickly."

Well the United States sucks on so many levels; youth poverty, infant mortality, youth opportunity, student debt, LBGTQ, education, upward mobility, obesity, health, representation in government; just to name a few. But the 1% are doing really well.

But, But, But... My Holy Bible, Koran and KKK Affiliation told me it was written, so. " Praise the lord and pass the ammunition ". Also, the tasers, nightsticks... can we get a witness?:-[

You want to begin to work through this problem, make friends with some gay people, become a true trusted friend enough so they feel comfortable confiding in you, and listen to their stories about the kinds of harassment they have gonr through. To be able to do this, you will need to get to a place where you are comfortable being in their company.

Same sexuality is not contagious. Nobody "goes gay" just from hanging out with gay people. If you're afraid people will think you must be gay because you have gay friends, then you have "issues" in your head about same sexuality and, unless you find a way to work through them, you will not be able to become enough of a trusted friend to be able to hear the stories that might help you understand.

If people were to take you for being gay because of who your friends are, you might get a taste of the treatment that being "out" as gay lays you open to. You will experience the scornful disbelief that will go with trying to explain "I'm not gay, they're just my friends." You will quickly learn that homophobes will never be willing to believe that because they can't believe anyone would have gay friends unless they were really "like that" too. Adamant denial will seem to them to be proof that you're "trying to pass" and this will be seen as making you even more deserving of harassment and even physical abuse. You might even get to experience a full on violent gay bashing and then you will have some real direct personal experiential insight into the problem. You will then understand the terror gay people and guys who aren't predominantly gay but who seen insufficiently "butch and macho" live with.

This is why many men do gay bash bullying as a way to show everyone how "not gay" they are. The dirty little secret is that a number -- though not all -- of men who gay bash secretly are.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

As the proud parent of a gay man (now 30), I can attest to the violence, abuse (verbal and physical), and unceasing brutality he endured growing up. It began in 5th grade when bullies (girls included) deemed him to be "gay" and he was faced with the abuse every day he went to school. I alerted the teachers, principal and vice principal to what was going on and they attributed it to, are you ready: "boys being boys." Due to the school administrators' and teachers' lack of intervention to stop the harassment, beatings, and abuse, with each incident I photographed the marks and bruises and called the police department and the city attorney's offices to report the violence. I also contacted the school district supervisor and school board. Needless to say, the school officials did not like the police and the city attorney's offices showing up at school to investigate. In order for my son to defend himself, I enrolled him in JuJitsu classes and he attained his black belt within 15 months. His freshman year in HS, he went out for the football team (much to my dismay but he was tall and athletic) and proceeded to wreck one knee and sat out most of the season. The next year he also made the team and proceeded to wreck his other good knee. (There were ongoing incidents of abuse in the locker room that my son did not reveal to me until after HS.) His junior and senior years he joined the swim team and excelled. By the time he was a senior, the abuse had abated for the most part and I attribute it to my son's strength of character, intelligence, and his JuJitsu skills (which he had to use only a couple times to make believers out of the bullies whom he laid out within minutes each time). In spite of all he endured, my son participated in school clubs, was a member of student council, and was listed in the US Who's Who of High School Students. (We are grateful to the wonderful therapist who helped us deal with the pain over the years). My son is now an out and proud gay man living in a "family" friendly city with a thriving, all-accepting gay community but the scars remain. And, he is an activist promoting support of gay community members both politically and socially.

A supportive, caring group for LGBTQ and questioning youth and their parents/allies is PFLAG.: www.PFLAG.org and you would be surprised how many groups there are even in rural communities...thank heavens. PFLAG helped me and my son so much over the years.

Looks like about evenly spread beween "LGBT friends" and "others"

"Roughly 30 percent had been raped, and about 41 percent had been physically abused by a partner."