Home | About | Donate

'Liberal Diversity is Not Racial Justice': Black Progressives Denounce Claims They Want Wall Street Insiders in Biden Cabinet

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/08/liberal-diversity-not-racial-justice-black-progressives-denounce-claims-they-want

1 Like

“We need less Wall Street in the next administration and more working class representation.”

We need it, I agree but you are being very naive to say the least. Don’t you realize Biden was selected by the corrupt DNC for POTUS because Biden is a corporate, WAR MONGER AND A WALL STREET STOOGE!

14 Likes

Only Wall Street wants Wall Street insider parasites in Biden’s cabinet.
Most us us are not suicidal.

10 Likes

It was the disgust with O’Bummer’s and P’Loser’s excessive kindness toward Wall Street and its Bankster Buddies – and a YUGE likelihood of ‘More of the Same’ with Hideous Hilliary – that stuck us with Tweetle-Dumb in the first place.  The vast majority of us regular folks want FAR LESS WALL STREET and MUCH MORE MAIN STREET in OUR gov­ernment.

11 Likes

I’m afraid the only “Green New Deal” that Biden will embrace, will involve a whole new set of lobbyists receiving “greenbacks” from a new NeoLiberal administration.

7 Likes

I love Jamal Bowman. I can’t wait to see what he’ll do and I have the highest confidence he isn’t going to be co-opted.

I hate these identity politics uber alles types referred to in this article. Obviously a minority face from the wrong perspective is absolutely useless.

1 Like

More liberal gaslighting in an attempt to keep working class people divided and pointing fingers at each other.

“There’s been work done recently to argue that the term Black is mutually exclusive from the term progressive”

Correct. Similarly, “there’s been work done recently to argue that” War is, in fact, Peace; Freedom is, in fact, Slavery & Ignorance is, in fact, Strength.

So, yeah: i guess it was only a matter of time before the Fascists would attempt to convince everyone that Black people are, in fact, actually Disaster Capitalists :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Keep them distracted with race and gender. Tell them that they are all middle class and have complete and total opportunities to become billionaires, and the people will be happy.

I am sure that potential president Biden would appoint a homeless person of color to be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

You agree, right? Nah . . .

3 Likes

We may be the vast majority, but we are only peons when it comes to the political, power of our government. .

3 Likes

What else is new?   And what you mean-um “our” government??     (And why the second comma???)

1 Like

I’m trying to recall what black voices raised hell when Obama/Biden put all kinds of Wall St enablers in his cabinet and advisory team – right in the midst of Wall St getting the mother of all bail outs?

Tim Geithner
Larry Summers
Rahm Emanuel
Robert Rubin
Peter Orszag

8 Likes

easy - hope we learned our lesson when we all decided to give Obama a chance, the chance to fuck us all over. now we have learned not to wait for the election and when he wins to confront Biden on the first day in office. NO MORE SHIT FROM WALL STREET OR K STREET.

1 Like

You think Jim Clyburn or Hakeem Jeffries or Kamala Harris would utter a peep if Biden appoints the Wall St revolving door brigade to his team, other than to applaud? I mean, bless Jamaal Bowman and Cori Bush’s hearts, but Biden doesn’t give a damn what they think, and they’ve already endorsed Biden to the hilt. So black progressives can push back all they want – the real power in the CBC is still with Wall St enablers.

A reminder that after he told wealthy donors that “nothing will fundamentally change,” Biden went on to say that the rich should not be blamed for income inequality, pleading to the donors, “I need you very badly.”

10 Likes

There’s been work done recently (by Maurice Moe Mitchell who this quote is from) to argue that affirmative action in political appointments (without any thought to who that person actually is) is the only thing that matters. This is an example of people we can do without.

NOBODY is arguing that there are no progressive black politicians. What the fuck is Mitchell talking about? Bowman is black and we need a lot more people like him and a lot fewer people like Mitchell.

3 Likes

I’ve heard enough people I respect endorse Biden that I really don’t have a problem with that. Hell that includes Zephyr Teachout (on Useful Idiots) who had very harsh words for Biden during the primary, but she still says she’ll vote for him and has a list of very concrete things we should be fighting for regardless of who wins the presidency. I don’t have to agree with all progressives on this (and I’m not voting Biden, I’m just not sure I’m voting for Hawkins anymore after @LibWingofLibWing pointed me to material I didn’t like - I still might or I might write somebody in). But I can still distinguish between those I think of as real progressives (Bowman) and those I consider worse than dead weight (Clyburn).

3 Likes

IDK about that part of your comment…i agree wholeheartedly with the rest of it, though :+1:

How many of these people are voting FOR Biden as opposed to AGAINST Trump?
They would retain more credibility by simply saying they’re voting against Trump and leave it at that.

4 Likes

Do you mean black politicians in office? Or do you mean black commentators? (I can’t imagine some from the Black Agenda Report didn’t comment). I read ~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Geithner#Criticism which stated:

In November 2009, Oregon Representative Peter DeFazio, speaking for himself and some fellow members of the Progressive Caucus, suggested that both Geithner and Lawrence Summers, the director of the National Economic Council, should be fired in order to curtail unemployment and signal a new direction for the Obama administration’s fiscal policy.

But I think that was pretty far in to Obama’s mess. I know there were some screaming at the time (I certainly was to myself after voting for this guy in 08) when Obama picked these disasters, but I couldn’t tell you who was black. I don’t think any famous black politician like Barbara Lee came out publicly early on (or ever).

2 Likes

Any progressive that says they are voting for Biden now absolutely did not vote for Biden in the primary. So what you say is inferred. But they are saying explicitly that they think it is better that Trump is gone (and replaced with Biden obviously - no one else is going to win - I don’t believe that Unity 2020 stuff is going anywhere and no third party can win yet) than the message sent to democrats that they can’t get our votes automatically once they win the primary. I don’t agree with that opinion, but I do accept it. Too many very very good people like Teachout who are also quite smart feel that way. As long as they don’t voter shame me, but simply make their case, I still respect them overall. Chomsky however has lost at least some of my respect after his voter shaming

1 Like

Well, we’ll have to disagree on this one.
I think saying you’re voting FOR Biden when really you are doing it because he’s the lesser of two evils will have the same effect as stating you’re voting Blue no matter who. No incentive to change or step Left. I think stating you’re voting against Trump might be a bit more humbling for ol’ Joe which might be a good thing. Joe needs to hear that message

4 Likes