Home | About | Donate

Lighter Coal Regulations May Mean More Covid-19 Deaths

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/13/lighter-coal-regulations-may-mean-more-covid-19-deaths

1 Like

Time to ditch burning things as a source of energy. So stone age. Need to hold Biden true to his promises. He seems to be a decent man but too easily swayed by more conservative elements in his party. On the right path but need to excellorate. Do what you can on the state and local levels. Also on the consumer level. Get an electric vehicle if it fits your needs and budget. Switch your electric provider to one with a green portfolio (wind and solar). Let your local utility become a pass through for clean electricity, every kilowatt-hour you use from green sources is that much less they have to burn coal or nat gaz (or split atoms). I suggested that environmental groups help defer the costs of installing solar panels on low income homes. Grid Alternatives does this. Also suggested they pay three months of electricity for a household if they agree to switch to a green provider. We got to be all on board.

1 Like

Addressing emission standards, pollution, and environmental protections are not abstract chess moves that may or may not help at some point in the distant future. They are necessities now.

Teachable moments courtesy of a novel coronavirus, indeed. Writing from California, there’s nothing abstract about the Climate Catastrophe in 2020, when 4 million acres – 4% of our land – went up (including my brother’s house – in fact, my brother’s whole town of Berry Creek).

California’s course through USA’s national Covid trajectory is coming full circle this December. The earliest cases we know of appeared just south of me in Santa Clara County, then it seemed for awhile California was managing better than most of the country. No more. Our digest of Johns Hopkins positivity (a metric most favored for its consistent foreshadowing), with momentum refactored into the ranking, now has California in 14th place, exploding more quickly than any other state’s outbreak.

STATE COVID-19 OUTBREAKS

Ranking is momentum-based on Johns Hopkins’ test-positivity factored with “per-capita newcases” & “immediate mortality” – the ratio of totals on hand for deaths and cases.

>                        JH       per-capita     immed
>                    positivity    newcases    mortality
>                        %            %            %
>  1. Idaho             51.5         80.6         1.05
>  2. Alabama           36.3         59.2         1.04
>  3. Pennsylvania      34.5         63.5         1.45
>  4. South Dakota      44.7        106.3         2.38
>  5. Kansas            38.7         87.5         1.21
>  6. Mississippi       24.2         56.1         1.45
> --- ---------------------- ------------ ------------
>  7. Ohio              18.0         84.4         0.64
>  8. Tennessee         17.7         75.8         1.10
>  9. Iowa              39.8         79.9         1.92
> 10. Nevada            17.5         76.7         0.98
> 11. Utah              18.9         90.3         0.42
> 12. Arizona           17.2         66.7         0.82
> 13. Kentucky          14.2         68.7         0.62
> 14. California         9.3         51.7         0.52
> 15. Indiana           12.5         93.6         1.07
> 16. Arkansas          15.4         63.7         1.49
> 17. Rhode Island       7.5         98.8         0.92
> 18. New Mexico        14.2         89.0         1.32
> 19. Montana           17.0         89.0         1.21
> 20. Delaware           8.7         64.1         0.50
> 21. Missouri          18.5         64.1         1.08
> 22. New Hampshire      9.8         45.5         0.64
> 23. Oklahoma          15.7         74.3         0.67
> 24. South Carolina    11.1         40.9         0.99
> 25. Wisconsin         13.4         85.6         1.13
> 26. Minnesota         10.5         97.6         0.99
> 27. West Virginia      8.3         60.1         1.38
> 28. Texas             13.4         41.5         1.32
> 29. New Jersey         9.9         49.9         1.01
> 30. Colorado           9.9         78.1         1.15
> 31. Alaska             6.3         84.6         0.49
> 32. North Dakota      10.4        118.8         1.77
> 33. Nebraska          11.4         89.8         1.21
> 34. Connecticut        6.4         60.6         1.07
> 35. North Carolina     9.7         43.2         0.82
> 36. Michigan          10.9         66.2         1.59
> 37. Wyoming           14.3         99.9         1.16
> 38. Georgia           11.6         40.7         0.92
> 39. Illinois           9.6         78.2         1.53
> 40. Louisiana          9.1         48.1         1.08
> 41. Virginia          10.8         34.2         0.80
> 42. Massachusetts      5.0         54.2         1.02
> 43. Florida            8.5         40.4         0.97
> 44. New York           4.5         40.0         0.70
> 45. Maryland           5.9         41.0         1.22
> 46. D.C.               3.6         30.3         0.94
> 47. Maine              3.6         19.5         1.32
> 48. Vermont            2.0         16.1         1.40
> 49. Washington        12.3         35.6         0.66
> 50. Oregon             6.4         31.4         1.10
> 51. Hawaii             2.1          7.2         1.57
1 Like

Finally, South Dakota is out of first place, wishing them all wellness and those on reservations some peace from the deluge.

It is raining here in CA, and I think the last two fires are just reburns. I think some 600 thousand people left the state. What pussies. Elon Musk went to Texas, go figure.

2 Likes

Of course the Orange Rump’s Environmental Destruction Agency (EDA) isn’t going to pass regulations on coal or anything else that the Ogre in the Oval Office thinks might be profitable or kill more people. (he really likes both those things) With so little time left his sick little pea brain ‘say go for it’. When the Electoral Criminal Cabal gave him America to do with as he liked (there are so many sick twisted things that he likes) he pushed ahead with joy and enthusiasm.

Hi fern,

This is a good rain this time. Enough to finally slam the door, at least up north, on our 2020 wildfire season – knock on wood and hope it don’t burn.

Regarding South Dakota’s ranking: Several heartland states, which led all November, have outbreaks which are slightly retracting. When I experimented with refactoring momentum (relative to two weeks ago) into the ranking, it looked to me like the most worrisome outbreaks right now, as in Alabama and Pennsyvania, were promoted appropriately. Momentum-based ranking also allowed the hovering heartland to settle down – now holding only 3 of the top 6 spots. The lower two of our five levels have nearly emptied out, because all the momentum (everywhere except Hawaii) is in the wrong direction on that end of the chart.

USA stands today at an inflection point in its Covid deaths per day. Vaccine shipments now can’t touch this trend, not for awhile. The general outline is that death-rates lag case-rates by almost exactly three weeks. We’re about ready for the skyward heave of USA’s caseload surge to be about 3 weeks ago, so that lag is landing on hospitals simultaneously with holiday death-cult festivities. Watch that death-rate. At this writing, someone dies of Covid in USA every 36 seconds (tracking the 7-day average).

Statistics are only as good as the compiling and reporting. Seeing how Covid-19 metrics are so variable within each county in the US (testing being no more available today in our rural Pacific Northwest County than it was in March, and undercounting deaths is rampant) being two of many examples) the only metric of value is that the more GOP operatives there are in power and the fewer behind bars, the more Covid-19 deaths there will be.

In a nutshell…most Covid-19 stats plus three bucks buys a cup of coffee.

That is what statistics are, they measure a sampling. They are accurate or reliable within the size or limitation of the sample. You may have to use a different sampling unique to your demographic. Tracking hospital admissions or well defined groups has improved the statistics. Not perfect but still a tool for accessing risk. Plus, consider there would be a group of untested or undiagnosed deaths.

I think you maybe right about the rain putting an end to the fires. I’m sure there is a great relief in some areas. Thanks very much for this for the Covid information. We all may need a bubble before this is over.

Thought you might like this: Winter solstice The author has an asteroid named for her.

~https://earthsky.org/?p=2951

1 Like

Thanks. This imminent solstice seems extra-special, with the simultaneous conjunction of Jupiter & Saturn! I don’t follow the wandering stars, but this is seeming kind of epochal.

From my studies of Climate Science I’ve learned that 200K year Milankowitch cycles, which have defined the rhythm of ice-ages throughout the 2 million year Pleistocene, are themselves driven by the rhythm of the spheres. So it turns out there’s something to that outer-planetary influence, after all.

My favorite astrologer (actually, the only one I can even stand) is Caroline Casey, KPFA’s “visionary activist.” She’s just too much fun to turn off. I’ll have to see what she thinks of this conjunction business.

Oh cool, glad you liked it. I liked the breathing earth graphic too. I use to listen for the Astrology report on KSAN, produced by the Cosmic Muffin. I’m not kidding, that was a real feature. From what I remember, these are powerful influences. Mr. Barr resigned today and it looks like there is a lot more to come so maybe the transition has started. I’m fine with Jupiter but lookout for Saturn. I may have to check out Caroline Casey. In the lunar calendar, (13 moons) winter has four moons instead of three, or so I’m told but it makes sense. There is a lot more to be said about this but nothing that might compare to a 200K rhythm of spheres.

1 Like

It’s the little orbital wobbles those outer planets exert on little ol’ Earth. Dig up enough ice core (while there’s any left), and you can see the effect of those wobbles on how much snow fell that year, going back a couple million years.

There’s some chance Caroline’s style might click with you. I remember a story about Indian voters in USA getting classified by CNN as “something else”… you have white, black, latino, asian, and then something else! First of all: I want the t-shirt. Secondly, that’s a most appropriate overall description of Caroline. She’s something else, alright:

~https://coyotenetworknews.com/bio/

1 Like

Sorry, this is a late response. I’m in the process of moving and have to be available for some of the things going on. It is actually a good move so I feel fortunate in that regard.

Very interesting these stories we find in the most unusual places and the lasting effects that take a practiced eye to detect. There are still compressed tracks of land from the wagons used for western expansion too.

I really like the site, thank you. Can’t wait for the time to give it my full attention. Indians were not given citizenship until 1924, many still have dual citizenship and live in sovereign nations within the U.S. It would be a great idea for a t-shirt. Proud member the “something else” tribe.

1 Like

Really great, The Visionary Activist Show thank you so much.

1 Like