Home | About | Donate

'Line in the Sand': Court Halts Burkini Ban on French Beaches

'Line in the Sand': Court Halts Burkini Ban on French Beaches

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

France's highest administrative court halted the controversial ban on full-body "burkinis" imposed by the town of Villeneuve-Loubet on the grounds that it "seriously and clearly illegally breached fundamental freedoms."

Good! It is not only discriminatory but ludicrous to pick on women wearing modest clothing (similar to acceptable wetsuits, not forbidden) but allowing almost naked men and women, just because this has become the fashion. Nuns, or orthodox Jewish women would not be picked out. Let them wear what is acceptable to them.
I hope the court ruling is upheld, though this summer is almost over.

I don't understand this at all. What is the problem with people wearing whatever they want to the beach? This is really strange.

Why should we have to wear any clothes at all when its hot outside?

Many of those women are not able to drive, or swim.

Hadn't heard anything further about this except catching a glimpse of a story of enforcement, police standing over a woman while she stripped to what must have been her underwear. Outrageous! I also saw a great photo (from the back) of two nuns walking on the beach, the bottoms of their below-the-knee habits wet from the surf. Duh!

Great that there does seem to be some judicial sanity in France these days . . .

Had a giggle yesterday when I began to wonder if the famous "Mormon underwear" would be outlawed on the Riviera? Maybe strict Mormons don't swim publicly while confined to their chastity equipment?

I am extremely pleased that common sense, reason and justice have prevailed over irrational and oppressive laws that unreasonably oppress thought, expression and behavior

It is rather curious that France and Germany overreach in such legislative actions; it defies all reason, as they are supposed to be democracies in respect of people's liberties and freedoms. However, instead, they have an insidious and odious practice of passing rather chilling legislation.

It is actually illegal to speak negatively about a foreign leader or high-level representatives. Also, certain opinions regarding "protected" religions cannot be manifested. I wonder if such countries would dare pass a law which forebade wearing yamakas (i.e. yarmulkes)

It's been a while coming, but the obviously blocked hearts of the French have finally gotten a wake up call to be rational, at least on dress code. This has been one of the most ignorant, selfish ideas I've seen come up in a national debate and law. Surely the French are much more warm hearted than this law suggests. NO? When I was in France, I was looked at, sneered at by a few people, due to my weight. I ignored it completely, kept my happy heart and never looked back at that rabid, destructive, self-centered thinking. Being skinny does not make you cool or even smart. It does not make you above average. Being bigoted towards a type of dress does not either. I watched in horror as the police forced that woman on the beach to disrobe, right there in front of everyone. NOT fair; not serving the public interests. It is only instilling hatred in those put in this horrible position of choosing to honor their belief in dressing modestly, or be emotionally tortured, while forced to do otherwise. I was raised in a very strict church setting where my sister and mother and I were only allowed to wear dresses, keep our hair long, and never wear jeans or slacks. This was too much. It was over the top, extreme. In the end it only hurt our attitudes towards the men in the church. It did not serve a good purpose. So is France's law on these dress codes. Take time to consider what you're doing to people's attitudes, to people's lives overall. Some codes for keeping people free from the ability to carry hidden weapons is one thing. This swim suit thing is over the top, extreme. It is making you look almost as extreme as the enemy, when you let them make you behave like this towards PEOPLE - you know, Human Beings, Citizens who pay taxes and live there because they love France. Well they won't love it for very long, if France keeps up this extreme thinking. So kudos to this recent ruling. It is about time.

Extreme Capitalism......Ban the 3-piece Business Suit!!

France's highest adminisubtrative court halted the controversial ban on full-body "burkinis" imposed by the town of Villeneuve-Loubet on the grounds that it "seriously and clearly illegally breached fundamental freedoms."

If these Frenchmen are worried about what these full-body burkinis represent (i.e. extreme Islamism in their minds) , they should consider that the standard 3 piece business suit represents Corporate Capitalism.........and consider what extreme damage to this planet, peoples and cultures extreme capitalism has done........Je Suis Corporate America

I rather think that if you ran down the streets of your town stark naked someone would lock you up on a charge of indecent exposure.Funny old world, when we are forced to cover what dogs don't have to, our genitals. It is merely a matter of the degree of enforced coverage about which we argue.

Because, as you should know from the days of your potty training, we have to keep the dangly bits COVERED! Otherwise we are indecent, and we can't have that!

Finally some common sense! Burkinis are NOT a sign of terrorism, but humiliating the women who wear them IS.

This is a positive sign - people have actually decided that outward appearances are not a telling sign of extremism (granted, the argument might have some sway in a society that believes that your fundamental beliefs are something that you hold on your inside rather than expressing on the outside, but last I checked, France wasn't completely committed to that direction).

There's nothing new about using the language of human rights to stifle human rights. If someone stands firmly for an idea because of human rights, it's easy for an opponent to use the same language to stand rigidly against it, because bigotry and wishful thinking can be found in abundance. A decent society depends on a healthy helping of common sense.

Plenty of tricks of this sort crop up from time to time, whether through devious machination or honest short-sightedness. For example, promoting diversity, but only in minority communities (the effect being to stifle solidarity, and in turn the sense of hope, identity, and anxiety relief that comes with it - which would fail if the goal is to stop an existing predisposition towards terrorism, and could have the blow-back effect of making the general population feel unwelcome in their own homes). Or, accepting discrimination when it's directed at a foe like Russia or its allies (it would be much easier to get away with because the people don't look "different" but the nation is a plausible enemy, yet it allows a comfortable way it foment bigotry, which, once it becomes widespread, can be whitewashed into a bubble of privilege for a small group of worthless scumbags).

Just to note: The burkini bans were not national laws, but local ordinances. That's part of the problem; they need to be swatted down like gnats.

France has a history of discrimination against Muslim's. And they wonder why they have so many attacks. Banning the Burka was a huge mistake and a beacon for more attacks.

No, most Muslim women who cover outside of fundamentalist theocracies do so by choice, and quite attractively. Did you see the photo of two nuns wading in the surf, the wet hems of their skirts flapping at their calves? There's another patriarchal religion from the Dark Ages, but no one objects to those women's oppression.

I can't claim to know the rationale of every family in which the women cover themselves. But I can claim a nearly religious personal preference towards dryly written literature. And I can relate to forcing my kids to not watch TV or not eat sweets even when they'd prefer otherwise. And I can understand that some seemingly ridiculous stylistic decisions are purely dictated and normalized by culture. So by inferring the joining point of those three ideas, I'd guess that there are plausible reasons that are more sophisticated than blind adherence to backwards religious ideas.

Very happy that personal freedom has been upheld.

Hopefully one day this will happen in the Islamic world as well.

I couldn't agree more. How the hell it's acceptable in a supposed advanced country like France for law enforcement to force women to strip at gun point is really beyond me. It is down right sickening to see French city governments and their police behave in such a terrorist way.

And how would you feel about police officers doing the same to your adult children at gun point? Would that still be acceptable to you?