Home | About | Donate

Linking Clinton to Poverty, Sanders Lays Out Plan to Help America's Poor

Linking Clinton to Poverty, Sanders Lays Out Plan to Help America's Poor

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

In a speech linking Hillary Clinton to economic hardships of U.S. children, families, and workers, Bernie Sanders on Wednesday laid out his anti-poverty agenda in Columbia, South Carolina.

Noting that the U.S. "today has the highest poverty rate of nearly any major country on earth because almost all of the new wealth and income is going to the people on top," Sanders lambasted the 1996 welfare reform bill signed into law by then-President Bill Clinton.

http://web.stanford.edu/group/scspi/_media/pdf/pathways/summer_2014/Pathways_Summer_2014_ShaeferEdin.pdf

This a study on extreme poverty in the USA. Extreme poverty is households that are surviving on less than 2 dollars a day. This number has grown since 1996 by some 150 percent to over 1.5 million households. Note that this is households and not individuals. Rule of thumb is on average there 3 people in a household.

This is third world stuff and exists in a country that spends 1 trillion a year on its military.

An added article that has more detail.

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/us_hunger_facts.htm

This also explains how the word "hunger" changed to "food insecure". It apparently more palatable.

It's well-known that many bills are passed with riders attached. In a complex system of quid pro quos, Republicans might allow for one necessary program (which they term an "Entitlement Program") if they get to advance something they wish to see enacted as policy.

Wouldn't it be great if the People's House actually worked for US? If so, then all this finagling over the minimum wage should be tied to a maximum income allotment!

THAT would change the nation's financially entrenched picture tout suite!

"While Sanders introduced legislation in July 2015 to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour, Clinton has expressed skepticism that a push for $15 would make it far on Capitol Hill and suggested that $12 would be more likely to succeed."

So much effort to raise the bottom... it's time to draw DOWN the top!

I think the "Hunger Games" are really driving these power plays home, and the younger viewing audience gets it!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sanders coukd bolster his argument by discussing race and not just class.

Bernie Sanders does speak of race. Are you asserting that he doesn't ever speak about race?

Employers also have this thing called flexible working hours. Yes you MIGHT get that 32 or 40 hours per week but it means being available to come in at any time.

There no set shifts. They can call you in at 9 o'clock on a Saturday night and say "we need you for three hours". This makes having a second job all but impossible.

I have no idea what the term vectoral class means. But a focus on class only is, in effect, a denial that race plays an important role in addition to class. This is not a denial of class as a factor. We should be addressing both, not one at the expense of the other. Both have the same root cause, but resonate differently for different population groups.

Maybe you can explain your point in more detail and it would make more sense to me.

I'd like to see him feature it regularly and emphasize it more. It is kind of like the difference between saying "Black Lives Matter" and All Lives Matter." Those that think the latter is most appropriate don't get the special historical struggle Black people (and to a somewhat different extent) other POC have experienced under the oppression of white people. When Bernie does not make the distinctions, it makes me wonder whether he fully gets it. It would not surprise me if other POC think the same way.

f
It would be great for it to happen like in the advanced democracies we saw in Michael Moore's latest film if we can counter the ignorance, disinformation and hate spread by FOX and the MSM oligarchy. It produces despair and voter apathy among progressives, giving conservatives the upper hand. I think online information and net neutrality will make the difference. The truth will set us free.

Every handmade sign I have seen of homeless people said "Hungry" and not "food insecure". Today I witnessed a young woman standing in freezing rain with such a sign but also pointing out she was pregnant and homeless.

Not just retail. I work for a community college library. In response to the passage of ACA, with its coverage requirements, the "geniuses" in administration here adjusted policy, system-wide, to: A) initiate a hiring freeze; and B) cap all part-time jobs at 24 hrs./wk. (the ACA liability "threshold"). Before that, my cap was 39.5 hrs./wk., and that was what I usually worked. "Obamacare," in other words, "cost me deep in the purse." (No complaints personally: My daughter and son-in-law, who had no insurance before ACA, have it now - a trade-off any parent would take.)

Thank You! We were hoping to hear of Sen. Sanders views about our "war on the poor" all along. He used to be a powerful speaker about poverty and the need for legit poverty relief programs, but appeared to have gone silent on this critical issue. Liberal media in general dumped comprehensive examination of US poverty since the Clinton administration, and have focused on promoting middle class elitism.

What was so frustration (perhaps especially to those who are older) is knowing that Sen. Sanders gets why addressing poverty is essential to saving the middle class itself -- lessons learned in the 20th Century. History is a record of things learned from experience. From FDR to Reagan, the US implemented policies and programs, with a focus on poverty, that played a key role in taking the US to its height of wealth and productivity. Far from perfect, still a work in progress, but much better. With Reagan, we decided to do the opposite, reversing the policies, ending the programs. Results: This took the US from #1 in overall quality of life, down to #48, and we can no longer adequately compete in the modern world market. As long as we continue to ignore poverty, or regard it as a punishable offense, we will remain on this downhill slide.

Not only a disaster for women and children, but for America overall. I put much of the blame on media, with their well-trained marketing staff focused on the interests on their target audience -- middle class consumers and campaign donors. With rare exception, they disappeared the consequences of ending actual welfare, and of the overall impact of building a super-cheap replacement labor force (workfare labor, the disabled, prison labor, etc.) Not a word about our "trickle up poverty" agenda.

The big distraction: Since the 1990s, liberals and Democrats have maintained a simple pep rally for whatever remains of the middle class. We need to dump the rhetoric and look at the facts. Our own 20th century history shows why it's impossible to save and rebuild the middle class without shoring up the poor, putting rungs back on the ladder out of poverty.

How much liberal "outrage" have you heard since the 1990s? Interestingly, if poverty is noted at all, it is restricted to poor black people. Poverty is about economics, not race. The great majority of US poor are white, and corporations couldn't care less about the color of those who aren't of current use to them. Our economic crisis is far too complex to be be confined to race. I would guess that it gives many a sense of security to brush poverty aside as a "racial issue."

Except that this isn't true. Every step of the way, from Reagan's deregulation mania to Clinton ending actual welfare, this is what the middle class demanded and applauded. Older people remember how successfully Reagan convinced the "middle class masses" that if we end the "grievous burdens of taxation" on the rich/corporations, and get "tough on the poor," corporations would use this money to create a "mass of good, family-supporting jobs," poor people would choose to get un-poor, and all would be swell.

Masses of older people have been getting it for years. That said, while raising the min. wage is necessary, what is your answer to many of those who can't work (and are now homeless), and all those for whom we have no jobs?

Go get 'em, Bernie!

Actually Sen . Sanders has a pretty savvy campaign manager. He has one message only: elect Sanders and you will get free stuff and extra money from the government. Easy to understand and tangible message... Who wouldn't fall for that? No need to go into race, rights, "make America great" and all sorts of other non tangible ideas, that, let's face it, most Americans aren't even able to grasp.