Home | About | Donate

Lisa Montgomery: A Victim of Incest, Child Prostitution and Rape Faces Execution

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/22/lisa-montgomery-victim-incest-child-prostitution-and-rape-faces-execution

1 Like

I weep at the cruelty of the world and thank my lucky stars for my blessings for being born into a family and framework where nurturing came naturally. I cannot process how such evil happens.

10 Likes

No comments. Not surprised. I could barely read this article. It literally made me sick. What happened to Lisa was unimaginably horrible. The crime she did was also unimaginably horrible.

Setting aside emotion and sympathy, we must realize that all of us on occasion think of horrible things–but we don’t do them. Lisa must live with what she did all her life as she is living with what was done unto her. Punishment is not the goal, rehabilitation is. It will take a long long time for that to happen for Lisa–if ever. She needs to be in a place where possible rehabilitation can occur. Where is that? Our penal system is not that place. Our mental health facilities are not set up (anymore, thanks to stupid legislation) for long-term care. So, Lisa could end up in a long term facility for the elderly or debilitated. Will she ever get the care she needs? Probably not. Should she be released? I’m glad I’m not the judge or jury in this case.

4 Likes

Heartbreaking.
We must start educating our children in a way that abuse can never again occur.

There are cultures on Earth were no rape exists no negative sexual practices occur.

Organised Religion has much to do with the negative teachings of sexuality .Look at the horrific abuse from their corner.

It must be seen as a wonder and beautiful thing not a shameful and guilty act .

Guilt and fear are the true enemies of truth.Repression of behaviours which are natural will always create dysfunction and acts of violence in protest of being made to feel shame over which the heart knows should never have felt shame at all .

Learn from other cultures observe and do what works.

I’m sorry for what happened to this girl such brutally must end .I feel upset .I will continue to work and study on making the world a place we all want to live on .
Please read the book Conversations With God book 3 he talks about how we can end sexual violence. And how Highly Evolved Cultures put in place principles that work for the Highest good all and their society’s.

3 Likes

As heinous as Montgomery’s crime was, I can’t help but wonder how many other children will be orphaned simply because the Trump administration, owing to its criminal conduct during this pandemic, will have murdered their mothers.

6 Likes

And escape all accountability for their monstrous crimes.

4 Likes

In the entirety of this article Ms. Stinette is mentioned just twice. That alone should cause the author to reflect on her own callousness and the priority given to the life and value of the perpetrator over the victim. Society failed Lisa Montgomery, that cant be denied, but a history of abuse does not excuse her crime and concerns over her welfare should not take precedence over justice for her victim. It is not for us to say wether the death penalty is warranted in this case. The real person with the right to decide that would be her victim but since that is not possible the wishes of her family should be paramount. When we feel moved by Lisa’s history of tragedy the appropriate thing to do is look for ways to protect women and girls who face physical and sexual abuse… not to degrade and dismiss the woman whose life was taken from her and whose child was cut from her womb by inappropriately focusing on clemency for Ms. Montgomery. I see little difference between this and news articles that work so hard to humanize rapists and murderers while glossing over the life and the worth of their victims. You have every right to argue against the death penalty or to acknowledge Ms. Montgomery’s tragic circumstances but it should raise a red flag to anyone when mention of the victim is so cursory that she’s barely mentioned at all.

1 Like

'Merikuns sure do lubs to kill folks. Never miss a chance.

1 Like

Practicing violence to end violence is never a solution. Only primitive folks continue down that path .

3 Likes

Hi Abigails_L:
I guess I am surprised that none of the people who used, abused , and tortured Lisa seem to have had any repercussions------if that is true—WHY is that true?

5 Likes

It IS for us to say whether Lisa Montgomery should be EXECUTED. The death penalty is FINAL and the perpetrator in this case obviously has SERIOUS MENTAL ILLNESS which SHOULD exclude the Death Penalty. You analytically (or perhaps, “callously”) say “the appropriate thing to do is look for ways to protect women and girls who face physical & sexual abuse.” But, 98% of the time, those who rape women and children are NEVER held to account. The penalties for most domestic violence are a JOKE. In fact the “Castle Rock” Supreme Court decision–focused on a woman who called police for help because her abusive ex-husband had NOT brought their children back after visitation (she had NOT been able to get a court to deny him visitation based on his violence). Turns out the ex-husband MURDERED the children & then,. killed himself–revenge for this woman having the audacity to leave her abuser–something we are always BLAMING WOMEN for NOT doing. The Supreme Court majority in “Castle Rock” said, “Police do NOT have any responsibility to PROTECT citizens.” (Which begs the question: WHAT are police officers ’ responsibility?) As a survivor of child sexual abuse, sexual assault as an adult & domestic violence, I certainly feel for the victim of Lisa Montgomery’s crime. But, I;'d sure also like a LOT more action on the type of CRIMES that were DONE to Lisa Montgomery & the millions like her.

6 Likes

Americans do not understand that the police have no legal responsibility to protect them. For the most part, police only cover their ass.

1 Like

She probably doesn’t have the emotional stamina anymore to live in the consensual world. It would be best if she had access to a sheltered situation to which she could retreat when the consensual world has overloaded her resources.

The act for which she was found guilty was an unspeakable tragedy, but although it was her act, it wasn’t really her crime because apparently she in a very real sense wasn’t operating her body at the time.

1 Like

Should we execute you for that crime? It would make as much sense.

We normally think of “the person” as being their personality, not their body. Someone can change their hair color and style, undergo transformative plastic surgery, or lose an eye or a leg and we still recognize them as “them”.

People in a dissociated state are not operating their body at the time. Someone else, often a fragment of the non-dissociated personality, is doing it. How can we blame the intact person?

Psychologically speaking, you are right.

Typical feminist drivel. This woman committed one of the most horrific crimes imaginable, one involving considerable planning and deception. For whatever reason she also implicated her own brother in it, but he had a cast iron alibi. Montgomery does appear to have had a difficult early life but most of her claims are outright lies. If a woman can’t be executed for this crime, no one can.

I just wanted to update people with the news that Lisa Montgomery is dead.

Lisa Montgomery - the only female inmate on federal death row in the US - has been executed for murder.

She received a lethal injection at a prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, after a last-minute stay of execution was lifted by the US Supreme Court.

The case attracted attention because her lawyers argued she was mentally ill and suffered serious abuse as a child.

The 52-year-old strangled a pregnant woman before cutting out and kidnapping her baby in Missouri in 2004.

Her victim, 23-year-old Bobbie Jo Stinnett, bled to death but her baby was safely recovered and returned to her family.

Montgomery is the first female federal inmate to be put to death by the US government in 67 years.

According to witnesses, a woman standing next to Montgomery during the execution process, removed the inmate’s face mask and asked her if she had any last words. Montgomery responded “no”, and said nothing else.

She was pronounced dead at 01:31 (06:31 GMT). Montgomery’s lawyer, Kelley Henry, said that everyone who had participated in the execution “should feel shame”.

“The government stopped at nothing in its zeal to kill this damaged and delusional woman,” she said in a statement. “Lisa Montgomery’s execution was far from justice.”

She committed a horrible crime, and like I’m sure everybody else, when I first heard of what she had done, I wanted her punished. But when I heard what had been done to her as a child, I changed my mind, and thought life imprisonment was more appropriate.

What this shows is the horrible effect of having right wing judges.

The Democratic Party gave away the 2016 election by picking such an unpopular and divisive candidate and we are still paying a high price for it today.

2 Likes

Study some “abnormal” psychology (“abnormal” is the abbreviation for “not in good shape psychologically”).

The crime that Montgomery committed was so far from anything we can consider “normal” that the very fact she committed it proves she was, to use a technical term, batshit crazy. Psychotic out the wazu. Totally disconnected from our shared reality.

What she did required a more complete disconnect than if she had killed and eaten the woman, killed and mummified her, killed her and distributed dismemberd parts of her body to neighbors, et practically any cetera you can think of. There’s a guy who’s coming up for parole who killed a 5yo boy, completely stripped the flesh off his bones (perhaps eating it), and then dried, polished, and varnished the bones and kept them in a box until he was found out. Needless to say he should never ever be relieased, but even that crime was not as crazy as Montgomery’s action.

She should never have been released regardless of reason, but equally she should not have been executed because she had no idea what she did, then or later. I’m sure that she said that she knew, but she didn’t because if she really did, she would have killed herself in unbearable remorse because that’s how bad that action was.

1 Like

While women in abusive relationships are often asked, “Why didn’t you leave?”, their abuser is seldom asked, “Why didn’t you stop the abuse?”

3 Likes