Home | About | Donate

Listen to the 'Calls Ringing Out in the Streets Across the World,' Says George Floyd's Brother in Emotional Testimony Before Congress

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/10/listen-calls-ringing-out-streets-across-world-says-george-floyds-brother-emotional

4 Likes

"Defund the police, defund the military! " What this means is for much too long the police and the military have had a free ride with no accountability. This also means to shift $ from improper uses to community and people related projects . No more militarized police departments, no more racist employees, no more riot gear, no more bullets and no more excuses to getting these changes done. This can become reality if we want it to. Peace

13 Likes

The Palestinian-Jordanian cartoonist Emad Hajjaj has a beautiful tribute to George. Would that his family knew about it.

~https://www.gocomics.com/viewsmideast/2020/06/10

6 Likes

CHOKEHOLDS, KNEE ON NECK – TEAR GAS, RUBBER BULLETS –

Those are things which do not speak to a democracy or citizens’ right to protest government.

Reminder that the trigger for the Revolution was interference with the right to free assembly.

These things would be much easier to knock out if we actually lived in a nation today
which acknowledged “human rights” and “INHUMANE” actions.

We live in a nation today which has not only brought back TORTURE but actually used it
at Abu Ghraib and elsewhere – first by shipping “suspects” to other nations which had no
problems with torture.

We must also realize that long before they were firing tear gas and rubber bullets at AA’s
protests, they were bashing in the heads of youths in America protesting the war in Vietnam.

They were bashing in heads of workers who wanted unions –

They threatened violence against Feminists seeking to move their message into other nations.

And before that –
When Spain declared itself a republic – a democracy with Separation of Church & State -
in response to its peasants who had been protesting the Catholic Church there for its support
for Elites there against land reform – a entire FASCIST WAR was created to protect the
interests of the Vatican. The War in Spain was called a “Civil War” but actually it was a war by
Elites on the citizens/peasants.
See: George Seldes, journalist on the War in Spain - All Roads Lead to Rome

This “bashing in of skulls” has to do with all of us – because police brutality is holding up
OUR REVOLUTION for EQUALITY FOR ALL – against OLIGARCHY and their need for violence
and wars for profit.

5 Likes

A beautiful tribute.

5 Likes

In the capitalist model of the USA, we can now save on shipping suspects to other nations by simply doing it here out in the open. More money for the plutocrats to steal for themselves from the citizens by eliminating the middle men.

5 Likes

From bitter searching of the heart
Quickened with passion and with pain

This is the faith from which we start:
Men shall know commonwealth again

We loved the easy and the smart
But now, with keener hand and brain
We rise to play a greater part

The lesser loyalties depart
And neither race nor creed remain

Not steering by the venal chart
That tricked the mass for private gain

Reshaping narrow law and art
Whose symbols are the millions slain

This is the faith from which we start:
Men shall know commonwealth again
We rise to play a greater part - Leonard Cohen

5 Likes

Enough is enough–the hate must stop!

Just saw this:

~https://www.gq.com/story/andre-3000-t-shirts-blm

1 Like

Why is the GOFUNDME page still up? His loving family has received over fourteen millions dollars.

Hi Funny Times,

I’m the doddering unofficial greeter, called to duty by another little blue banner urging us to welcome them to our community.

My welcome, in response to your concern, doesn’t know where else to go than sarcasm:

The Floyd family’s multi-million dollar GoFundMe page is an issue of compelling importance. For some strange reason, nobody else is worried about it.

5 Likes

Yes. That is beautiful.

You crack me up sometimes Aleph. You’re getting (nearly) as good as DC.

1 Like

This is a good one Giovanna:

~https://news.sky.com/story/george-floyd-protests-activists-draw-up-hit-list-of-uk-statues-they-want-removed-12004101

1 Like

Hi Giovanna-Lepore:
it also might be the perfect time to stop American police from training in Israel. Apparently Michael Chertoff, began this training, when he was in Homeland security-----where yes, the chokehold on the neck, taught by the Israelis is also taught to America’s police that go to Israel to train.It’s time to cut the millions spent on Israel and train American “police,” starting with the First Amendment. Apparently Israel has had years of this training practiced upon the Palestinians. sigh—it should not be difficult for America to decide that the right thing is to stop all the killing things.

7 Likes

I noticed on the Nightly News: Philonise refers to his brother as plain “Floyd”… as if George carried the whole family on his back. RIP, Big Floyd. Your grace and character have elevated the family name to a historical pinnacle which must have been meant to be – surely nobody expected quite this much love for George Floyd, this much anger over his lynching all over the world. There’s no point in saying we’ll remember. How could anyone live through this and forget?

I’m grateful to the Floyd family for inviting Sharpton to give an extremely moving sermon at the service yesterday. I have to say I never understood who Al Sharpton was until I heard that sermon.

3 Likes

WE need to protect ourselves from Israel. They are the single largest threat to American democracy and peace today. Fire congressmen who pledge allegiance to Israel. Fire presidents who suck up to Bibi.

3 Likes

I truly believe that George’s Mama came to go with him to Paradise. He was not alone. It is not unusual when people are dying, to see their loved ones.

George, I promise, WE will make sure your death was not in vain. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

That is why WE need to be in the streets for a very long, sustained time. WE have a lot of work to do. UNITY.

4 Likes

I will have to listen to that. Thanks.

~https://www.npr.org/2020/06/04/869721514/hundreds-expected-at-memorial-for-george-floyd-after-days-of-nationwide-protests

The “blow-up man” an accurate self-assessment methinks.

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn