Home | About | Donate

Localization: A Strategic Alternative to Globalized Authoritarianism

Localization: A Strategic Alternative to Globalized Authoritarianism

Helena Norberg-Hodge

For those who care about peace, equality and the future of the planet, the global political swing to the right over the past few years is deeply worrying. It has us asking ourselves, how did this happen? How did populism turn into such a divisive and destructive force? How did authoritarianism take over the political scene once again?

Thank you Helena Norberg-Hodge!

We are constantly reminded of how limited the usurpation model is and how readily that translates into a dependence on instilling a violence of rhetoric and when that does not work - physical violence.

As a member of a co-op, I am reminded that a $1000 spent there translates into 1600 in the larger community. Localization is what capitalism was originally founded on. Its abundance triggered expansion notions and the rest is history - but a history that has been subjected to obfuscation and misrepresentation. 70% of the food consumed by humans is product of small stakeholders!

The promise of homo sapiens sapiens includes revival of ‘mystical’ connections to place and the ‘as above so below’ dynamic. I frequently think that ‘mystical’ is as such because for centuries the powers dependent on marginalization have hammered thesubtlety of life in place free from marketing harassment. Nature is not inert and separate. They have been lying to us. Its time to put an end to it and a beginning to countless reunions.

Thank you for this very thought-provoking piece. In particular, I found it very enlightening to consider how subsidies for fossil fuels can make for “redundant trade.” What the article seems to demonstrate is that globalization as it is currently practiced has us in a death spiral of austerity for the 99% and then a blame game as to whose fault it is.

One small correction: the community bank in Fortaleza, Brazil, is not “Las Palmas”, which is Spanish, but simply “Banco Palmas.”

The insights you shared about Ladakh were especially interesting and demonstrated vividly the local, pernicious effects of globalization. I hope this article finds itself widely read!

Excellent observation of how a self sufficient society was culturally hollowed by the injection of outside commerce. That alone should give one pause.

For sure the best and most informative article I’ve read recently. Thanks a lot Helena.
Created three days ago and only 94 views, is a bit disappointing.
This kind of information should be spread a hundred milion times every day.

Best to share this article to assure it is read more widely.