Home | About | Donate

Lockdown: the End of Growth in the Tar Sands

Lockdown: the End of Growth in the Tar Sands

Hannah McKinnon

Just a few days ago, Hurricane Patricia became the strongest hurricane ever measured as it made landfall on the western coast of Mexico.

Power* to the People!
(*Renewable)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What are you talking about?

The cost to ship a barrel oil from Canada to US refineries in the Gulf of Mexico is about 20 dollars a barrel by rail. To do the same by pipeline is about 7 dollars a barrel.

Rail companies across North America struggle with congestion on their tracks and the cost of upkeep on these tracks escalates.

The incident in Lac Magentic hardly suggests rail is safer.

The power of the people is always renewable. It is a question of reliability and awareness and the answer to that is just a big when, not if but when.

All you say is true but isn't it a whole lot better to let it stay in the ground?

I see three things wrong with this report. I'm all for the activism around stopping XL and other pipelines, but to say that movement has stopped growth in tar sands ignores the reality that growth has been stopped anyway by low oil prices--tar sands oil production is not only risky and dirty, it's also very expensive. It needs something like $70/barrel to break even. Also Alberta has had a change of government, to one less mindlessly supportive of the industry. Secondly, there is now tar sands activity in the US, in Utah--and there ARE people fighting it. They should have been mentioned. Finally, to say as 350.0rg always does, that all of this is about fighting "greedy oil companies" is just plain dishonest. No doubt it's easier to get support if you scapegoat oil companies, but it's just as dishonest to pretend it's all about a few corporations' actions, letting the billions of us off the hook who say we support action on climate change but demand cheap gas, drive gas hogs, keep our homes and buildings toasty in winter and chilly in summer, fly off for weekend vacations...as it is to say "it's all of us" as though we are equally responsible, as though those running oil and gas and coal companies, and the PR firms and think tanks pushing climate denialism, and the politicians blocking every attempt at regulatory solutions, are no more guilty than anyone else. Serious action on climate requires personal footprint shrinkage as well as direct action and political efforts).

Your comment is utter horse puckey. Rail cheaper and safer than pipelines? Please do some research before posting nonsense.

Thank you! Very well said! A lifestyle change on the part of all of us will ALSO help keep the tar in the ground, but yeah, low oil prices is what's really slowing down tar sands and fracking development. Personally, I'm not surprised that oil prices dropped b/c that kicks the competition from fraking and tar sands out of business. Then, it'll be back to the high oil prices again. Wee, what a rollercoaster ride they are making for us.

Oh I agree it should be left in the ground. Even if there no such thing as global warming it should be left in the ground. The scale of the environmental destruction in that area is mind boggling.

Well, great, that people power is affecting some change. Thank you dear ones.
I hope that posters here have actually looked at the utter destruction in the oil fields, the once gorgeous forests of Alberta. Now, it is miles and miles of what looks like Mordor...
I agree with posters here that there has been some considerable 'endrunning' going on re: other lesser pipelines, sneaky, not so sneaky transport by rail.
Yes, the world market price for oil is low, giving fracking and the tar shite investors, what I hope are major heart attacks. Include the bank$ters in that heart attack zone too.

Does anyone here know where the sand is coming from for the pipeline oil movement?
Any idea where is ends up after oil is extracted?