Home | About | Donate

'Long Overdue': Antitrust Cases Reportedly Brewing Against Google at State and Federal Level

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/17/long-overdue-antitrust-cases-reportedly-brewing-against-google-state-and-federal

1 Like

…at ‘Federal level’ ? You mean Barr and Trump involvement ?

You’ll pardon me if I don’ get too excited

5 Likes

Yeah, they would be wise to keep this at the state level.

“Even if some states bring a suit against Google related to it’s ad business, it’s possible others could choose to pursue separate cases following different legal theories.”

This would be my strategy, come at them from 50 different angles, all slightly different, designed to drain Google by forcing them to defend themselves from every states AG’s charges. Most likely won’t kill them off, but could be effective in weakening them.

4 Likes

Take advantage of advertiser-paid tuition to attend and take copious notes ahead of buying and soaking in the book behind this course here posted and so offered for your consumption by GOOGLE-ALPHABET portfolio cash cow of U. of Tube dba You Tube where you can take this less than one hour essential Dutch TV documentary course. (What? You expected MARKETPLACE or THIS WEEK ON WALL STREET or PLANET MONEY or FREAKANOMICS or BUSINESS INSIDER or FORBES or other CPB indoctrination, or maybe even BLOOMBERG BILLIONAIRE BID-NET NEWS terminals to bring you such analytical fare? Not CPB’s NPR nor PBS is at all interested in confronting or reckoning with the policy-outcomes that they take for granted in that Ivy League know-it-all blase sorta way).

The subject of the course is Harvard Business School Social Psychologist Emeritus Dr Shoshana Zuboff’s two decades of barely considered inter-disciplinary work from the standpoint of Market Democracy and all that Milton Friedman’s Chicago Boys held sacred as translated into post Cold Warrior BLOWBACK succeeding decades of policy and wealth-concentrating Feudal Lords of High Finance\Tech imperatives by such Neo-Liberal E-CON Neo-Con wunderkinds as Lawrence Summers, Alan Greenspan, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Christine Lagarde, Marisa Mayer and Jeffrey Sachs in their lack of reckoning with the half decade of Global Wage Stag-Nation and massive poverty-caused DISPLACEMENT that followed the unfettering of Global Capital:
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw

Course texts:
THE AGE OF SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM by Shoshana Zuboff
THE SHOCK DOCTRINE: THE RISE OF DISASTER CAPITALISM by Naomi Klein
MAX WEBER COLLECTED ESSAYS (including THE ROUTINIZATION OF CHARISMA on the formation of organized religion from cult stages)
SCIENCE OF COERCION by Christopher Simpson
ZOMBIE ECONOMICS: HOW DEAD IDEAS STILL WALK AMONG US by John Quiggin
THE COLD WAR & THE UNIVERSITY edited by Andre Schiffrin
UNIVERSITIES and EMPIRE edited by Christopher Simpson
THE GOLDEN PASSPORT: HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL, THE LIMITS of CAPITALISM, and THE MORAL FAILURE OF THE MBA ELITE
by Duff McDonald

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Shifters and Song Chasers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa
Media Discussion List

…Break up all the giant corps, they are stealing all our worth, mostly by the Vampire method, phkn blood suckers…

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see whether anything happens. Meanwhile, there are other search engines.

2 Likes

Since March 22 I have been posting daily updates to my covid-19 statistics web page. I use raw “jurisdiction” state data from the CDC. From this data I extract state rankings: which states have the highest current threat levels, based on the past five days of confirmed new CDC cases per capita, and which states have turned the corner lately, based on the ratio between the last five days of confirmed new CDC cases and the previous five days. I want my site to generate pressure on states that open for business when their numbers are still out of control. I also want my site to generate some buzz for my other inventions.

Bored yet?

Since March 22 Google’s search engine has censored me worldwide. After 46 days I still don’t exist as far as Google cares. Duckduckgo found me by March 30.

I know that one higher-up in the Irish Republican Army was named Ted Kennedy, and then one day Senator Ted Kennedy from Massachusetts wasn’t allowed on a plane from Boston to DC because he was on the no-fly list. Is that my problem?

It may be that Google, in their zeal to prevent all covid-19 misinformation from reaching the light of day, has censored me because numbers sorted by political jurisdiction are dangerous things in the hand of a reporter.

I know that my wife runs a nonprofit called the Toxics Information Project. toxicsinfo .org has 300 web pages or so and covers a vast number of toxic chems, cellphone emissions, all sorts of stuff. Note that I don’t believe everything that my wife believes. Am I being censored because of association?

Am I censored and deprived of causing buzz for my other inventions because Google is just plain stupid and so very big?

If you want to see the page it’s at *ttp://quakerworks .net/statecoronavirusstatistics.htm

1 Like

Well they should get to opening statements by 2035.

1 Like

While I’m no fan of Google and it’s business model, I’m looking for the anti-trust wrongdoing in this story. Market dominance alone does not an anti-trust case make.

It’s unfortunate the reporting goes no further than an observation that Google is very big and dominant.

1 Like

Tromp’s DOJ vs. Google. As much as dislike Alphabet/Google, my money’s on the latter.

The tone could have been set and all of the silicon valley monopolies avoided if the feds, European governments, and states had gone after Microsoft for using illegal means to crush Netscape decades ago. The world also wouldn’t be stuck with such a piece of crap OS dominating the market. As is the case with do many things terrible about the USA, it can be traced back to Slick Willie Clinton.

Expect “heavy”, the price of doing business, fines but nothing done to actually break up the company much like happened in the EU.

2 Likes

Somewhat like they’re getting to WTC mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed’s trial in…2021.

Without admitting guilt, pay $500,000,000 fine and write it off against future taxes which they have no intention of paying.

DuckDuckGO has been working fine for me

Here’s one for you. Go to Google and type in geoengineering. Then go to Yahoo or Bing or DuckDuckGo and type in geoengineering. There’s a site run by a guy named Dane Wigington called Geoengineering Watch. It’s one of the top entries on the not-Google sites. It’s not to be found on a Google search, even though it’s had more than 35,000,000 visitors. Google removed the site from its search engines.

Take note of the sites that do show up and what they espouse (countering climate change with geoengineering, which Geoengineering Watch shows to be the primary cause through utilizing the very methods being proposed to combat it. Use Google if you will, but always double-check with one of the other search engines.

I just wrote about Google censorship of a site with 35,000,000 visitors!

YouTube now has a way to remove sites is doesn’t like, saying that the site violates one of their principles. A man was talking about the effect of electromagnetic waves on the body, producing viruses, which are more the effect that the cause of trauma in the body. This idea has been around for a century or more, and whether it conflicts with current science, the person who presented the idea has a right to speak it. We’re seeing more and more actual censorship of ideas that don’t toe the establishment line.

It’s about time. The tech giants of the past (IBM, AT&T) had to live within anti-trust settlements or die… they are both still around. The GOP drive to let business run free (starting in 1980) has let things get away, and possibly too far to ever be contained again. Google & Facebook both need to be reined in.