Home | About | Donate

'Long Past Time': In Historic Vote, House Democrats Pass Legislation to Make DC the 51st State

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/26/long-past-time-historic-vote-house-democrats-pass-legislation-make-dc-51st-state

3 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb here, but something tells me that Moscow Mitch will not bring this up for a vote in the Senate. Somebody remind me again what the Senate is for besides confirming right wing judges for positions they are not qualified for?

9 Likes

Elsewhere:
The Federal District of Brazil has 8 seats in the national ‘Chamber of Deputies’ and 3 in the ‘Federal Senate’.
The capital of Argentina, the ‘Autonomous City of Buenos Aires’ has 25 seats in the national ‘Chamber of Deputies’ and 3 in the ‘Argentine Senate’.
The ‘Australian Capital Territory’ has 3 seats in the federal ‘House of Representatives’ and 2 in the federal ‘Senate’.
The ‘Islamabad Capital Territory’ elects representatives to both houses of the Pakistan national legislature.

8 Likes

Hi MJR:
Thanks for the information for how other nations are dividing their areas. I wonder what the state capital will be named for state 51? So many black Americas have wonderful names to add. And hurry up government and get Harriet Tubman on that $20 bill too! : )

5 Likes

Yes, way past due! The fact that Andrew Johnson is still on the $20.00 bill is a total insult to the indigenous people of America. And to add insult to injury, until Trump is out of office nothing will change because he loves Andrew Johnson and the last thing Trump would ever approve is a black woman.

How about replacing all the slave holders on American currency and replacing them with people like: Harriet Tubman, Native American Chiefs like Crazy Horse, and Chief Joseph among others.

6 Likes

Well, Throw Pelosi and the Dinocrats a fish. Even though they KNOW that this will go nowhere in the Senate.

Why didn’t they do this when they had both houses and the WH? It
was a no-brainer even back then!

5 Likes

This will not come up for a vote in the Senate, and even if the Democrats take back the Senate next year, 38 states are not going to ratify DC as a 51st state, or Puerto Rico either. The solution to DC is to do what was done with Virginia’s part of The District before the Civil War, cede the territory back to Maryland and have it made a separate municipal district within Maryland, like Baltimore City is. It could have it’s own member of Congress, and would ensure that Maryland will definitely have blue members of the Senate for the foreseeable future. Puerto Rico should be given it’s independence as a separate country, with a forgiveness of all of it’s debts, most favored nation status by the U. S. and several hundred billion $$ in reparations for over 100 years of being a colony.

6 Likes

More horrifying than Andrew Johnson is the actual face on our $20.00 bill, Andrew Jackson. If the word genocide had been coined 100 years earlier it could’ve been applied to Jackson and his intended and nearly completed decimation of the Creek and Muscogee Confederacies. Look up more obscured or dust-covered history. That Hollywood or better yet a conscientious indie filmmaker has yet to feature the dynamic, charismatic and even literary Coushatta band and Creek Muscogee Confederacy council co-leader, Alexander McGillivray in any large screen fare remains a shame to our nation, desperately in need of enlightened forbears. Here’s a rough outline of the historical discovery and next big screen global sensation once viral concerns clear (Maker-willing).

ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_McGillivray

“Alexander was born Hoboi-Hili-Miko (Good Child King) in the [Coushatta] village of Little Tallassee (also known as Little Tallase, Little Talisi and Little Tulsa) on the [Coosa River] near present-day [Montgomery, Alabama] in 1750. [Alexander’s mother, Sehoy Marchand, was the daughter of Sehoy, a [mixed-race] Creek woman of the prestigious [Wind Clan] (“Hutalgalgi”), and of [Jean Baptiste Louis DeCourtel Marchand], a French officer at [Fort Toulouse]. Alexander and his siblings were born into the Wind Clan, as the Muscogee had a [matrilineal] system, and gained their status from their mother’s clan. They identified as Creek.”

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Code Shifters and Song Chasers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa
Media Discussion List

3 Likes

Why didn’t PeLoser pass this in 2009? This is the “Master Legislator” at her best. She never passes legislation for the people if it might actually pass in the Senate. Then she campaigns on all her facade accomplishments.

1 Like

Finally, the people of DC have achieved their long deserved chance to vote like the rest of us!

2 Likes

Dear My Good Friend Mitch,

I’m sending you another bill to wipe your a** with. If I thought
you’d actually pass it, I’d wipe my own a** with it.

With Much Love, Miss Nancy

4 Likes

Someone should get Biden on the record on this now –

Bernie Sanders will probably put it on his “to do” list –

Very much hope this will happen in the not too distant furture –

Holding the fort for Elites/Patriarchy –

Actually, I think she faced a primary this year?

It’s also for excessively disproportionate “representation” of states’ populations:

California has 39 million residents and two Senators. Wyoming has 700,000 residents and two Senators. This is an absurd and anti-democratic system which gives disproportionate power to states with small populations.

The Senate should be revised to give proportionate representation, or abolished completely.

4 Likes

Because Pelosi, Schumer, and company, including Obama and the Clintons, are Corporate/Wall Street neoliberal “DemocRATS”, not FDR Democrats.

They sing a great song, but their actions suck.

3 Likes

The only reason the Democrats voted for this was to create additional Democrat Senators and Representatives. There’s no “morality” involved, merely politics as usual.

2 Likes

In November. The way it works in California is the top two vote getters in the primaries run against each other in the general, regardless of party.

2 Likes

What your proposing is the function of the House, where population determines the number of representatives. The two members from each state in the Senate, are there to ensure populous states don’t nullify the voice of those in the less populated states.

2 Likes

So your ok with 700,000 US citizens having no voice in congress, because if benefits the gop?
How democratic of you.

4 Likes

BS is why they ( D R ) are the duopoly corporate piglets of the 1%.

1 Like