Home | About | Donate

Longshoremen to Shut Down West Coast Ports for Juneteenth

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/19/longshoremen-shut-down-west-coast-ports-juneteenth

7 Likes

So proud to be from the West Coast and even more proud of the Long Shoremen Union and its members. Thank you for your sacrifice. We have to stand up fof all njustice in the good ole US of A.

14 Likes

Eric Hoffer, who penned the (1951) The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements, and himself was a longshoreman in San Francisco Bay, is well represented by the efforts of today!

11 Likes

As I recall it was West Coast longshoremen that also stopped loading ships so as to protest the war on Iraq.

They also did the same during the Vietnam war and in the immediate aftermath of WW2 when they learned US troops were being sent on joint patrols with ex-japanese soldiers to fight Maos Communists.

9 Likes

Their great grandfathers refused to train black men to be longshoremen during ww2 in L.A.
Result was an ammunition explosion that killed over 700 men.

“you’ve come a long way, baby”

3 Likes

This is some welcome news !! A hardy Huzzah for west coast longshoremen!

3 Likes

Now This is the Longshore Union we Need !!! Thank You !!!

4 Likes

During the Battle in Seattle, the Longshoreman also participated in protesting the WTO, no wonder the West Coast has been demonized as: THE LEFT COAST.

5 Likes

Great read, Eric Hoffer
The Greatest Union Ever

4 Likes

workers of the world unite! an injury to one is an injury to all! We have had enuf injuries in our lifetime, now it’s our time to live in peace, justice and freedom. thanx to the ILU for showing us all the way to go.

6 Likes

The ILWU, along with the original CIO and the I.W.W. show the way. Hats off!

7 Likes

I salute you! I stand with you.

2 Likes

Good on the longshoremen & women!

Where is OSHA during this pandemic ?

1 Like

This is where the rubber hits the road.
This is skin in the game.
Cut Goliath’s Achilles heel.
Speak Power to false gods.
This
is