Home | About | Donate

Louisville Lawmakers Ban No-Knock Warrants as Advocates Escalate Demand for Arrests of Three Officers Who Killed Breonna Taylor

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/12/louisville-lawmakers-ban-no-knock-warrants-advocates-escalate-demand-arrests-three

2 Likes

Why would anyone think that the police officers did anything wrong?

Was it the 4 identical (except for addresses) no-knock warrants?
Was it the lying to get the no-knock warrants?
Was it the falsifying their reports after they killed Breonna?

WHY is the judge who signed the 4 identical no-knock warrants not being pressured to (at least) resign?

8 Likes

Bingo! Arrest the judge.

4 Likes

If the cops are that dishonest they can claim they knocked even if they didn’t. Cameras are being misused and disused and are only of good use by honest cops.

1 Like

This is a necessary–but insufficient–first step. If simple drug use and possession were legalized, no warrant, whether no-knock or otherwise, would be needed, and the police would find themselves suddenly without at last one pretext for terrorizing the community. The sum total of taxpayer dollars wasted in The War on (Some) Drugs–not to mention lives!–is truly staggering.

9 Likes

Funny how the higher you go up the ladder, you find justice loses it’s slipping blindfold altogether. Judges are rarely if ever arrested.

1 Like

Why hasn’t the constitutionality of no-knock warrants been challenged in the Supreme Court yet? Maybe now’s a good time.

1 Like

Gil Scott-Heron rapping about no-knock warrants 50 years ago:

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKJziJGrASo

2 Likes

Quick web search shows it made it to the Supreme Court in 2005, which ruled that evidence seized in a no-knock raid can be used in court:

~https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-no-knock-evidence-ok/

In an earlier case the Supremes ruled that no-knock does violate the 4th Amendment, but that sometimes the compelling interests of law enforcement allow them to override this, and left it “up to the states” to determine when this is the case:

~https://www.infoplease.com/us/government/judicial-branch/the-supreme-court-using-the-right-not-to-knock

That’s a quick search, there may be other precedents.

2 Likes

Justice for ALL the victims of police violence and brutality!
If police commit crimes, lie about the details, conspire to hide the truth and use all the supposedly “legal” means claimed to evade justice for their actions there will never be change! In many places police who kill cannot be interrogated for 24 hours - some want that to be 72 hours - WHY is that tolerated - police unions and political power is the answer!?
Critically-needed reforms to protect the public, especially people of color and the poor, must be instituted on a national level, not piecemeal, jurisdiction by jurisdiction - American civil and human rights demand it!

Many of the most egregious killings are incompetent and/or examples of extreme violent actions and aggression against the public! ENOUGH! Prosecute and/or eliminate killer cops and sweetheart evasions!

3 Likes

Ugh, that’s discouraging. I think they should try it again. Maybe you have to have the right case, that asks the question the right way.

I heard an interesting talk by Alec Karakatsanis, a civil rights lawyer specializing in the bail system,

ttps://www.c-span.org/video/?466766-1/the-complicity-lawyers-criminal-injustice-system

where he had some interesting thoughts about systemic change. He thought we need movements, and as an example he used gay marriage. He said the same arguments were used in courts, and the same laws were in place, and often the same people making the cases, but after decades of trying, the courts finally decided to find in their favor. What changed? He asked. He thought it was a movement, which sounds like courts respond to public opinion. I hadn’t thought judges were so frivolous, but maybe they are.

He has recent thoughts on Twitter:
ttps://twitter.com/equalityalec

2 Likes

"a small bit of justice for Breonna’s mourning family and our angry, heartbroken city.

Just a start. Then remove all the guns from the cops, convert them into neighborhood security made-up of people from the actual community and abolish the prison system–yeah, this will require we reconsider all our institutions of inequality.

3 Likes

Reinforce your doors and windows so nobody can barge in.
At least gives us more time to grab a bat or a gun for self defense.

The idea of a no knock bash the door in (I bet the landlord wouldn’t appreciate that) in a country obsessed with the second amendment doesn’t appear to be safe for the cops-as is shown in this case. It’s asking for a firefight, stupid. I know they don’t want the drugs to get flushed, but that points to the absurdity of criminalizing possession in the first place.

4 Likes

Movements are always what leads to systemic change.

2 Likes

Judging by the comments, you people have no idea what cops will do to get inside your home or in general. They came to my home with a falsified warrant, I let them in because of it, and was arrested for a weed grow, then they called the judge to get a real warrant. Spent the coldest night of the year in jail without a coat or blanket (approx. 45-50F.), because in their eyes I was just one level below a murderer. Bailed out the next morning, went to hire a lawyer. He informed me I had screwed-up, bailing out in my state means you wave your right to a preliminary hearing (of course your not told of this when you bail out), the hearing where technical issues are dealt with like mine. The lawyer made me write down sensitive information in his office, instead of saying it out loud, because this drug task force had a habit of camping across the street with listening devices to hear the conversation between a client and his/her lawyer. All of this happened in a county of about 125,000 people. Needless to say I ended up with a felony conviction for manufacturing marijuana. Never trust or believe the police, and never, ever invite them into your home.

4 Likes

So sorry for the violation and abuse, no one deserves any such thing. And thanks for reporting your story here. Eff the “war on drugs” and eff the police.

2 Likes

I was lucky compared to most, because of my military and fire dept. background, I was offered house arrest and never went to prison, an average citizen without this background would have done a few years in state prison.

1 Like

There needs to be legislation limiting the role of unions in police departments. They should only be there to negotiate salaries and possibly to protect good cops in workplace problems.

1 Like

From the article:
So far, the only person who’s been charged with a crime in Taylor’s case is her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, who was at her home the night the police shot her. Walker exchanged gunfire with the police, Taylor’s family maintains, believing the officers were breaking into the apartment. Walker, who had a license for his firearm, was arrested for shooting one of the officers.

As this demonstrates, having time to grab a gun doesn’t mean you’ll be able to protect yourself from cops.