Home | About | Donate

Major Victory as $226 Billion New York Pension Fund Announces Largest Fossil Fuel Divestment of Its Kind

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/09/major-victory-226-billion-new-york-pension-fund-announces-largest-fossil-fuel

Good to hear some good news for a change. Thanks to all the people that made this divestment possible.

1 Like

Yea! Love to see my state pension fund do that. Calif pension fund has got to be even larger…anything similar happening there?

You can feel the momentum building - as truth reveals itself one step at a time, despite the obstruction of self-serving interests.

It has been a long hard road getting even here - here being just the beginning of the fight for survival.

And I am not interested in anything Bill McKibben has to say.

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."

• Mark Twain attribution in “The Big Short” movie.

Canada has just approved the Pfizer vaccine - Sputnik V is going ahead in Russia, China has their own vaccine as well, despite having already gotten a solid grip on the pandemic.

Trump is not gone - not yet - and his more rabid followers are restive - the situation still fluid.

Meanwhile JAXA’s Hayabusa 2 has safely returned a sample from C-Type asteroid Ryugu, and I expect this priceless cargo will be making news in the near future.

China’s Chang’e 5 is in orbit around the Moon, awaiting its prime window for the world’s first ever attempt at a ‘skip’ reentry to Earth and Inner Mongolia, also with a priceless cargo of regolith from Mons Rumker, a volcanic complex on the near side which may yield the first and youngest Moon samples, perhaps only 1 to 2 billion years old.

Both missions, and of course the many spectacular US space missions, reveal a new world of supremely competent science worldwide, and we should not forget Russia, whose rockets have until recently serviced the International Space Station.

Against this backdrop of competence and hard-core results, we have our armies of science-denying lawyers and lobbyists and citizens doing their level best to destroy the very foundations of our modern society.

So I’m waiting, yet again, with patience worn as thin as the cutting edge of a flake of obsidian, the Electoral College vote on Dec 14 - which is about the same time that Chang’e 5 sample should be performing its fiery reentry to Earth - along with a total eclipse of the Sun - a disturbingly apt harbinger of our collective fate if we do not get our act together.

Congrats to New York !

XOM is down 40% over the past year. Maybe a bit of PR in there?

When I read the headline I thought, Good news! Then I read the first paragraph: New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli announced the state’s plan to end its investments in oil and gas by 2040,

Glad to see they aren’t making any hasty decisions.