Home | About | Donate

Majorities of Both US Veterans and Public Believe Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan 'Not Worth Fighting'

The Second Coming

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

William Butler Yeats
Written 1919 WW-1 either ending its first year or beginning its second.
Sadly, it seems to fit today.
Steve
;-})

Hi Toni,
I should get it in about ten days. I’ll get a book review to you when I finish it.
Steve
;-})

1 Like

It’ll bring back lots of memories and a wry appreciation of political cartoonists. It’s been decades since I read the book, Steve, and I don’t remember much of what was in there, e.g., editorials. Welch’s “have you no sense of decency” should be plastered on billboards coast to coast, Canada to Mexico.

Just thinking right now about the book, HUAC, and that period of amerikan history is giving me a lump in my throat. Why is Nazism or whatever evil equivalent always so close to us, never as far away even as our fingers at the end of an arm?

I don’t even know if I have the book anymore. My brother in another state and I “fight” over it. Also, a book I may have recommended to you, Heavenly Discourse by Charles Erskine Scott Wood…BITING satire.

1 Like

Hi minitrue:

Thank you for the entire poem—and with all the awfulness going on in the Middle East…you give the date of the poem as 1919—and OMG, here we are in 2019—Somehow , the rough beast slouching towards Bethlehem to be born…" . that must have been Trump’s gift to Netanyahu in the giveaway of Jerusalem. The Dead Sea will rise up and drown the ME in a wash of useless oil blobs. WW I and WW 2 never really ended did they: (

1 Like

Nope. But hate survived AND thrived…

Hi ToniWintroub:

sigh------ but hate is easiest when the economy is bad, and jobs pay poorly, and people exist just to pay their rent and food. Oh—that’s where we are now!
I think that’s often what makes humans do such bizarre things—like that Carolina kid who went to the AME church and killed all those black people who were being kind to him—I read that he had said that they were so nice to him that he almost couldn’t shoot them. : ( I forgot the kids name, but I read that the ancient Greeks would never name those who pursued horrendous acts to make a name for themselves-----and they seemed to be a better society for that…

1 Like

I’d tend to call putting snipers on the high ground, behind razor wire, to pick off unarmed civilians and medical workers then give each other high fives something other than fighting. I’d be charitable and call it target practice, but it is worse than that.
*If my words and thoughts had any power, Netanyahu would long ago be a dried up festering mess under a deep rock in a fetid swamp, gnawed on by worms and maggots. But, unfortunately, he isn’t, though his soul, if any, might be.
;-})

Hi Star,
No. When we “won” the war, (Shhhh, remember we can’t give any credit to the 20,000,000 Russians, military and civilian, killed fighting the Germans.) apparently our military and gestapo thought the Nazis had some pretty good ideas, because Nazis were apparently negotiating with our military and OSS to get to the US as advisers to our military, the new CIA and other organizations. Operation Paperclip, which we only heard about as cleverly persuading German Rocket Scientists to come to the US to teach us how to get to the moon (and perhaps drop some loaded rockets on Russia). Apparently we got experts in running concentration camps, the latest methods of torture, we got a number of “Doctors” who experimented on prisoners. Freezing them, overheating them, High altitude experiments. Experimenting with poisons and various chemicals that had reactions to body and mind. Apparently we not only got the books and papers, but we got the ones that did the experiments, to teach us how to do it “right.” Thousands of Nazis who had their papers destroyed and new identities given them, along with a very healthy salary. They were absorbed into the CIA, the FBI, and other law enforcement and intelligence agencies. The military, especially the Air Force, took a lot of them under their wing. Doctors who had published the results of their experiments on prisoners, wound up doing experiments and perfecting their work in University and Medical Labs.
*As you can see, by living in the new Fourth Reich, which used to be the United States of America, their teaching was much appreciated and they were worth the millions spent on them. Some, apparently went on to become CEO’s of some of the companies we are trying to get rid of while there are still living things on Planet Earth.
*Can’t write any more, it’s making me sick…
;-})