Home | About | Donate

Make a Resilient, Localized Food System Part of the Next Stimulus

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/23/make-resilient-localized-food-system-part-next-stimulus

3 Likes

Right On! How much do we subsidies do we give big agr yearly? Chemically laced food industry, how much do they get in taxpayers dollars?

4 Likes

Wonderful piece which needs to widely disseminated throughout to country. I would include information on the progress that community gardens are making. Also there is a more than decades long trend of raising backyard chickens and other eatables.
For example my garden has two very prolific Elderberry trees. This year instead of gifting clumps of berries I intend to dry them and bring them to our little outdoor farmers market.

3 Likes

Wonderful idea. How would you so much as explain this to the poobahs of either party?

These are things that we have to start without support or permission.

3 Likes

More and more small farms and co-ps are working together. Who wouldn’t want foods grown without pesticides? Who wouldn’t want to buy meat animals from local ,small farms? In the last, America had clean meat and vegetables. It makes more and more sense for people to buy food locally. Too big kills healthy foods, and now is the perfect time to begin to transition to LOCAL!

2 Likes

As one of the skeptics here at CD, and someone who has watched the follies of USDA over the past 50 years, I’d like to see proof that the agency is actually providing the support to increase small scale farming this article claims. Excuse me for doubting, but if it is true, this would be nothing short of a miracle. USDA has fumbled every opportunity to help small scale farmers, and there’s only been a few, since the early 1970’s, when Ag. Sec. Earl Putz, I mean Butz, started his famous “get big or get out” campaign to crush family farmers, and turn over our food production system to large corporations. As we see now, the campaign was very successful. USDA has even managed to screw-up the national organic standards by turning a blind eye when the big guys want to skirt the rules, instilling less confidence in the organic production system for consumers, the main reason for the standardization of the rules in the first place. As we watched corporate greed gobble up the lions share of the money set aside for small businesses in the bailout bill, any bets as to how much of the 16 billion in direct payments to farmers, the corporate farms have pocketed?
Like most corporations, they’re just pigs at the trough, and USDA loves enabling them.

1 Like

Sounds good, but unlikely to happen as long as White Supremacists rule America. (and much of the rest of the planet)

Gee, are you talking about the return of an updated. and mandatory ( everyone ) Home Economics curriculum for Jr. & Sr. High Schools? Along with mandatory Civics classes and American History classes; where Native Americans, Latin-X, Asian-Americans and African-American guest speakers must be part of the course work to gain state and national accreditation? No speakers, no credits, no diploma.
Great article, ideas and done with achievable goals in mind.
Sounds like a large piece of a new Progressive-Populist Party foundation. Too bad their isn’t a structure to put it on.

1 Like

Most people in the USA are unaware of the fact that farmworkers are excluded from the right to unionize, and from the minimum wage, because of the legacy of enslavement. Similar reasons for domestic workers, and for restaurant workers still not earning the minimum wage (as inadequate as that is).

After slavery was abolished, the white supremacist society imposed terrible working conditions on the formerly enslaved, who were primarily working as farmworkers and domestic workers at that time. Legal structures were put in place, that to some degree are still in place. Immigrant farm labor has “inherited” these legacies of slavery.

We need fairness and fair wages and the right to organize for ALL workers. We need to look at, and account for, these leftover legal and economic legacies of slavery, and abolish all such “divide-and-conquer” legacies from the economy.

This fantastic FAIR interview with Ricardo Salvador outlines some of these legacies, in the context of the collapse of the food system under to coronavirus pandemic:

~https://fair.org/home/our-food-system-is-very-much-modeled-on-plantation-economics/

1 Like

Hi mresannhitts:
LOL, when I had history students when I worked as a tutor , my first action was to see where they were in terms of REAL history. Then to introduce them to Howard Zinn’s," People’s History of the United States." The textbooks that are bought in bulk by American producers of corporate schooling promote the idea that America is the greatest nation in the world. So YES to everything you wrote-----fairy tale history brings us directly to where we are today—a very sad place .

2 Likes

Bob Dylan’s 60s hit WITH GOD ON OUR SIDE says it all about murka’s rationalized revisionist history.

1 Like

A long time ago I learned that the Republicans in Texas had cornered the public school textbook industry. As a former teacher I was sometimes shocked at the ridiculous statements made in some of the elementary textbooks.

1 Like

And the ownership of The Textbook Industry was certainly part of the fanatic “religious right” to undermine education as part of their control and dominate for the good of a few.

In the early 1980s before it was “bought” by corporate power national public radio network broadcast a great variety of information. The dominate takeover of the textbook industry was one of the programs I remember from that time period. Having access to information is one thing but being able to work against the destructive devices of those who are working to undermine our civil society for the common good is a difficult task now that the fanatics have infused every segment of society with their lies. They are and have been seriously organized and backed by megabucks of the wealthy 1% as an investment for more control. So counter movements against this “group” have a very steep uphill fight as it always has been. The worker has been fighting for survival and human rights since humans discovered the wheel and weapons.