Home | About | Donate

Making Case for Pardon, Snowden Says Leaks Were 'Necessary, Vital Things'

Making Case for Pardon, Snowden Says Leaks Were 'Necessary, Vital Things'

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

In a new interview with the Guardian, whistleblower Edward Snowden explains why U.S. President Barack Obama should pardon him for leaking documents that revealed the government's mass surveillance operations.

In a functioning democracy, Snowden would not only be pardoned, he would be rewarded for his brave acts that exposed the corrupt underpinnings of the oligarchy. But instead we have corporate lackey's like Obama, Clinton and Trump who only exist to serve their donors. Corporate America despises Snowden simply because he is a threat to the one percent and as a result Snowden will never come back to the U.S. until the America people can seize their country back from the investor class.

Obama, acting on Hillary's instructions, said yesterday that he still believes that Snowden should be tried in the USA and face 30 years in prison.

What a great country!

I want to know what so called country has a functioning democracy, according to the original ideals of old Greece? There is no pardon coming for Edward Snowden anytime soon. My two cents again, Ed make a beautiful life for yourself in Russia, what would you be coming home to in America anyway.

So the ACLU really thinks that somebody in the US government establishment (in this case the President on whose watch the hypocritical deceit of the US federal government was shown with undeniable proof for what it is) is going to pardon Edward Snowden?!
They must be smoking some pretty potent weed in Ben Wizner's office!
Let Edward receive honorary awards and great thanks from the many governments whose US espionage he exposed.
Better, let t shirts bearing his likeness become what Che Guevara's image became, an image of defiance in the light of governmental deceit, arrogance, and hypocrisy.
Best of all, let Oliver Stone make a movie as accurately portraying his actions as JFK portrayed both the courage and the eventual subversion of the efforts of Jim Garrison to bring clarity to the assassination of the 35th president of the US.
A pardon from the US governmental establishment whose actions Snowden's expose said "gotcha!"?! That is fairy tale material. The same as it would be for Julian Assange or Chelsea (nee Bradley) Manning.

I wish they are smoking some pretty potent weed in Ben's office, and then smoking the chronic weed in Congress, the Oval Office, and everywhere in D.C., daily. Then it would be Olly Olly Oxen Free, and Food Not Bombs!

The best weapon of a dictatorship is secrecy, but the best weapon of a democracy should be the weapon of openness. Niels Bohr

Secrecy, being an instrument of conspiracy, ought never to be the system of a regular government. Jeremy Bentham

Secrecy is the freedom tyrants dream of. Bill Moyers

Many of the benefits from keeping terrorism fear levels high are obvious. Private corporations suck up massive amounts of Homeland Security cash as long as that fear persists, while government officials in the National Security and Surveillance State can claim unlimited powers and operate with unlimited secrecy and no accountability. Glenn Greenwald

The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings. John F. Kennedy

If governments did not mislead their citizens so often, there would be less need for secrecy, and if leaders knew they could not rely on keeping the public in the dark about what they are doing, they would have a powerful incentive to behave better. Peter Singer

This persistence as private firms continued because it ensured the maximum of anonymity and secrecy to persons of tremendous public power who dreaded public knowledge of their activities as an evil almost as great as inflation. Carroll Quigley

I love your Garrison comment Poet, thanks.

Let ME be on that "Jury of his Peers"! Not only would we find him innocent of all charges, the jury would also recommend his birthday become a national holiday, AND that Obama and the Clintons be brought up on charges at The Hague for their crimes against humanity and against our Constitution. While I'm at it, Let's all tell our rape-resentatives in Washington that We, The PEOPLE, demand enactment of a National Whistleblowers' Day to celebrate year in and year out our modern-day heroes in service of liberty, justice, and accountability in government. Let these people be as revered as George Washington and Patrick Henry are today. Perhaps six months, to the day, after Whistleblowers' Day we can hold a National Excrement Day where we pause to recognize all of those politicians who have forgotten their duty to serve US, either by their corruption, or secrets, or wasting American lives in service to the greed of corporations. "Here's to you, you piece of shit!" Whose country? OUR country! Let's act like we believe it!

The fact that Snowden is facing 30 years in an Amerikan prison and some fascists have even said he should hanged for treason! Absolutely corroborates what Snowden has stated: " The leaks were necessary and vital".

What more proof does one need?

Snowden has often publicly expressed question as to why the US government didn't allow him to leave Russia. The thoughts occurs that US strategic planning long before the fact was in place to engineer hostilities designed to provoke military engagement in Eastern Europe.
If so, the allowing of Snowden to obtain sanctuary in Russia could benefit US propaganda interests on several counts:
a) develop case for character assassination of Snowden as foreign operative
b) casts suspicion on validity of document's authenticity as anything other than misdirection intended to damage US interests and reputation.
c) manipulate situation and documents associated with Snowden to further inflame public opinion in support of military deployments/engagement in Eastern Europe/Balkan region.

As all of the above are only now approaching situational maturation, it seems unlikely the government will be yielding in favor of Snowden any time soon.
If anything is to be expected, it is a campaign to discredit Snowden on a level that dwarfs that now being directed at Trump. Wait for it.

Having Snowden remain unpardoned in Russia is a feather in the cap of those who want to sway US public opinion to restart the cold war with Russia. a major profit center planned by the military industrial complex during Clinton's first term.

Snowden's ideas about our authoritarian, secret governance [_them_] are accurate because when "we look at them morally, when we look at them ethically, when we look at the results, it seems these were necessary things, these were vital things,"

The fight for progressives is to unseat the authoritarians and restore democracy.
Unseat the neoliberals and raw capitalists who demand we sell all and sacrifice all for their extremist ideology.

I just can't understand how Snowden himself, or any of his close supporters, could possibly believe that the government which has tortured and imprisoned Chelsea Manning (and is now doing its best to drive her to suicide) would grant him anything he could call "justice", or the slightest respect as a human being.

With a leap of imagination you could envision some offishul gov't mouthpiece might grant him immunity from prosecution, but who could believably grant him immunity from persecution? Oh a sudden accident, a car crash, a plane crash, a sudden bout of pneumonia... Oh how sad and shocking... (If you'll pardon my sarcasm...)

One of the main features I've seen that separates Clinton supporters and people who supported Sanders is the Snowden issue...I was initially SHOCKED at how much hatred Clinton supporters have for Snowden..Honestly, I had NO IDEA how far right some of my fellow democrats were...

LOVE IT! Count me in!

Whistleblower's day
Excrement day

hell yeah!

Oliver Stone endorses Jill Stein:

That's an interesting point - that he probably won't be convicted if he is tried. Surely at least one of twelve ordinary citizens would not vote to convict. Perhaps, instead of asking for a pardon, he should ask to be tried in abstentia.

Ummm .. Nixon's "efforts to get out of Vietnam" involved purposefully sabotaging the Paris Peace Talks so he could win the 1968 election, killing approximately a million vietnamese, invading Cambodia and creating the Pol Pot genocidal disaster, and his secret CIA wars in Laos. Also, please don't forget his toppling of the elected government of Salvador Allende (a hero of mine), his ramping up the COINTELPRO program of surveillance (and sometimes murder) of domestic opposition, his "law and order" programs to militarize the police, his racist "Southern Strategy" to bring the South to the Republican camp, etc ...

Never romanticize Nixon.

Yes, that's about the only way I imagine the US legal climate could be sufficiently detoxified that Snowden's safety would be plausible: a Stein/Baraka administration comes to power. Wouldn't we love that! The collective sigh of relief in NY alone would create a storm that'd blow out the windows of the New York Times!

From your mouth to god's ear.