Home | About | Donate

'Making Child Labor Great Again': Trump Draft Proposal Would Roll Back Teen Worker Safety Rules

'Making Child Labor Great Again': Trump Draft Proposal Would Roll Back Teen Worker Safety Rules

Jake Johnson, staff writer

With the apparent support of Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), President Donald Trump's Labor Department is reportedly moving to roll back longstanding child labor protections that advocacy groups say have been central to the massive reduction in teenage workplace deaths over the past several decades.

"When you find 16-year-olds running a meat slicer or a mini grinder or a trash compactor, we know kids are severely injured in those circumstances. That's why the laws exist in the first place."
—Michael Hancock, former Labor Department official

They will push everything to the right while they have the chance.

THIS IS their chance to finally establish a total dictatorship.

Child labor laws are only as strong as their enforcement. I live in a rural area and I’m constantly seeing 14-16 year olds using chain saws, operating tractors and pole diggers, roofing, and operating meat slicers in family-owned stores, often with minimal supervision or safety equipment. Each day we see teens coming through the Emergency Department of the hospital I work at with injuries related to farm work, so that 70 incidents a year seems very low to me.

I’m not defending the roll back of these laws, but I am recognizing how ineffective they are at reducing injuries especially when incidents are under-reported and most injuries occur on family farms or family-run businesses.

Well, this will make it worse.