Home | About | Donate

Manna From Hell

Manna From Hell

Jim Hightower

War is hell.

Unless, of course, you happen to be a global corporate peddler of rockets, drones, bombs, and all the other hellish weaponry of military conflict. In that case, war is manna from hell. So bring it on.

Indeed, it seems as if Beelzebub himself is in charge these days, with U.S. military forces enmeshed in at least 135 countries in 2015 alone. Plus, such chicken hawks as Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are maniacally beating their flabby chests and screeching for even more military adventurism.

Yanis Varoufakis Capitalism will eat democracy -- unless we speak up

When the truth is so horrilbe words arranged by Mr Hightower give us a glimpse of this cruelty with just the right amount of sarcasm to be able to handle it.

Some argue that war and aggression are natural components of human nature. I say they belong mostly to those who want to dominate others, not live in harmonious societies. Unfortunately, those who love war have no onus about using violence on others... and that is the path they enact in order to have their will done.

Apart from the individual's would-be functional conscience, two things should stand as a strong and firm bulwark against war. They are organized religious houses of worship (if they are being true to their prophetic masters) and the rule of law.

The most unfortunate thing about our times, times wherein war profiteers salivate over the collateral damage (in the form of the loss of VERY real lives including the lives of all those unborn fetuses that right wingers love to champion) they create for obscene profits... is that churches too often support these bloody ventures. And the rule of law, such as it exists, hides behind the fig leaf of national security to grant its imprimatur to the same acts that previously led to the international condemnation of other nations (like Germany under Hitler).

In a sane, just, and humane nation... weapons' peddlers would not be allowed to profit from war or to influence leadership in ways that make war inevitable.

Whenever I see a giant flood or tornado outbreak that leaves a U.S. region devastated, I think it's part of the karmic blowback from so much senseless destruction wrought on other lands... lands where citizens just like us reside.

As Gandhi wisely pointed out, paeans to vengeance do nothing to change the human condition.

"An eye for an eye" mostly results in leaving the world blind.

Promoting violence as "cure" is a foolish path.

Maybe you should look into the life of Lucy Parsons. Considering the way she and her husband were treated in the times they lived you might change your opinion

I suppose you think US back government of Batista could have been gotten ride of in some other non violent way. Or maybe you think the Cubans should have accepted that rule by the wealthy?

"...defense solutions across the board in multiple countries in the Middle East."

Wouldn't that be peace?!

As you have chosen to reply twice with the same words, and made no effort to answer my question, I guess you don't care or are too lazy to give a thoughtful response

PERPETUAL ENEMIES; FOR PERPETUAL WARS; FOR PERPETUAL WAR PROFITS.

Many of the people that hate America, in the world, have been either manufactured through their innocent families being murdered in cold blood or some other way, like their countries leaders being assassinated, like Gaddafi in Libya, because they are not our thugs and refuse to acquiesce to US hegemony.

Do you ever wonder why America has so many enemies? The war profiteers love their enemies! It is as simple and basic as economics 101; supply and demand. Enemies supply the demand and the war business is no different than any other business...the more enemies...the more demand for their war products. What a racket!

"WAR is a racket. It always has been

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." - Major General Smedley Butler, USMC. Twice recipient of the Medal of Honor
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article4377.htm

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial (Congressional) complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together." President/General Dwight David Eisenhower
http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/~hst306/documents/indust.html

All that Butler and Eisenhower warned and spoke out against has morphed into endless for-profit wars, a "pentagon" with generations of careers dependent on war/conflict, the creation and maintenance of "enemies" and the total corruption of our Congress and both Rep & Dem Parties; an arms manufacturer or sub-supplier in every Congressional district designed to assure approval of trillions wasted and millions of lives lost or displaced!

http://www.iraqwar.org/Military%20Industrial%20Congress%20Complex.htm

" Raytheon CEO Tom Kennedy chimed in that his corporation was upbeat because of “a significant uptick for defense solutions... "

My Earth, did he really call spreading war an "uptick for defense solutions"?!? War is "defense solutions?"

i guess that's just a bit more PR spin, another cherry on top of the marketing-speak militarist sundae, since the Department of War was spun as the Department of Defense many decades ago. "When Captain America throws his mighty shield..."

Maybe the government will add that cherry on top of their spin too: Say hello to the Department of Defense Solutions...

= This isn't directed to you personally, Shantiananda. It's just a reaction to the words you posted above. =

My reading of history tells me much of the wealth America possesses comes from the way Americans have exploited the Peoples of smaller, less powerful, less developed nations of the world.

In pursuit of stripping that wealth, the U.S. military "followed the flag," a euphemism for "go to the rescue of American Capitalists whose get-rich-quick schemes suddenly went awry." Our military was used to dominate those nations whose populations resisted having their land ravished by the foreigners.

With the wealth they gained, and with the wealth they bribed the U.S. Congress into granting them, capitalists produced the industrial age that increased their wealth. That laid the seeds that eventually developed into Progressive politics and the movements by labor to organize and form unions.

Through the actions taken by unions, capitalists were forced to share a portion of the wealth they were accumulating from profits with their workers.

From experience I've learned the American middle class doesn't want to think about this, but their very existence and the luxuries they enjoy is rooted in the "largess" of the Peoples of the underdeveloped world.

True, most of the wealth the middle class was accumulating came from the time and labor they invested in the work they were doing. The origin of the pool of wealth from which the distribution was taking place, however, can be traced directly to the exploitation the capitalists had conducted.

There are those who will try to refute this argument by puffing up their chests and blustering about American drive and ingenuity, and pointing out how a lot of the wealth resulted from individuals making use of the resources America was blessed to possess. My answer to all of that is for them to take a look at the nearest Native American Indian reservation. There we find the descendants of the indigenous Peoples who were exploited by America as a whole through taking away from them the land upon which they lived and depended for their livelihoods.

Today we're watching the circle come round full. The American middle class is being decimated by the same elitist capitalists who have always exploited those who were less powerful than they. What's happening in America today is nothing more or less than the repossession, by today's capitalists, of the wealth that had been placed on "loan" to the middle class by the capitalists from whom they are descended, either genetically or by a shared philosophical bond.

I'm not here to blame or criticize anyone. I include myself as one of those who enjoyed the benefits of some aspects of the "good life" in America. I have no justification or condemnation to ascribe; I don't have any solutions, agendas, or path upon which to move forward and correct the injustices of the past. This is all just an observation. It's up to all of you to ignore or do with it as you will.

Warfare is sexier than welfare and the blood money is just an extra bonus. The DNC killed welfare for warfare.

"While soldiers who go to war risk death, the big corporations that go to war reap perpetual profits."

If you went back in time to the Roman Empire, whether it was 25 B.C. or 200 A.D. and asked the average soldier what he was fighting for, he would have said without hesitation, "The power and glory of Rome." Remember, this guy was illiterate and couldn't speak the educated language of the day (Greek). But he would have known exactly what he was doing. Read Mr. Hightower's sub heading again. The average U.S. soldier would probably answer the question about what they are fighting for with some nonsense about "Democracy" or the "War on Terror" (sic). Most of them really don't have any idea that war is just a racket.. Thank you General Butler, I hope you are resting in peace.
Peace
Po

Cogent reply.

"My answer to all of that is for them to take a look at the nearest American Indian reservation."

My wife, who is Native American, agrees with that statement.

So should every American school child, and every American Citizen. So much for pipedreams, however. I've spent quite a bit of time commenting on the plight of the Residents of Flint, Michigan in recent days. Truth of the matter is, Native Americans have been treated the same way generation after generation after generation. They simply don't have a voice, as the Residents of Flint had no voice for two years. Flint has some advocates on the national stage at the moment; Native Americans aren't so lucky.

The Black freedom fighters had all but won the war when the Rough Riders stormed San Juan Hill, assuring there would be no Haitian repeat. The US made certain Cuba remained white.

Yes to all you say and to add to this regression, the up and coming "secretive" Free Trade Agreements are nothing short of the Re-Colonization of the World to bring all classes of people but the .01% into debt bondage and feudalism-

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
Thomas Jefferson-

Some links on Lucy Gonzales Parsons

http://www.iww.org/history/biography/LucyParsons/1

http://zinnedproject.org/materials/lucy-gonzales-parsons/