Home | About | Donate

Manufacturing War With Russia

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/03/manufacturing-war-russia-0

3 Likes

I try to “judge” Putin (as if I had the right) from the point of the Russians, as his duty is to them and not to me. I don’t judge him on what the M$M or blogosphere would have me believe. I watch his speeches when they appear online and observe how he uses and refrains from using power in the geopolitical arena. While I definitely am not naive enough to think him a saint, I don’t find him to be the bogeyman he is so often made out to be. He is not my enemy. Trump, however, most certainly is.

4 Likes

Agree about Putin. I have to recall that he did round up the monied Russian oligarchs and threw many in the dungeons.
The real enemy is the US national security state.

5 Likes

Should we be having conversations about dealing with a [ colleague / “democratic society” ] that has been undermined by paranoia ?

Here is some advice that might appear familiar. I think ‘society’ as colleague in this 2011 article How to handle a paranoid colleague from the Chicago Tribune :

"(…) Next time your coworker jumps at you with great outrage at your latest offense, completely ignore the invitation to explain yourself. Instead, stick to the job at hand and what needs to get done. Attempt to give your coworker as little emotional reaction as possible.

If your coworker escalates by insisting he can’t work with you (since you are clearly in league with the devil), suggest that he meet with your boss to discuss working with someone else he believes is more supportive.

As you start your new approach, do keep your boss in the loop. Don’t complain about your coworker’s obvious insanity. Instead, list some of your actions and his responses. Consult your boss as a mentor in establishing a better working relationship with your coworker. Let your boss know that you are aware you don’t have the authority to force your coworker to cooperate with you.

I must laugh lest I cry…

Aaron Mate and Jimmy Dore:

Peace
Po

3 Likes

“Russiagate” is or has been many things, none of them good:

A further descent of so-called “mainstream” journalism into a sad joke and a caricature
of a once largely respected profession. All for ratings and ad $$$$$.

A major public relations bonanza for the “intelligence” community, where people such as Clapper, Brennan, the CIA and FBI have been repackaged as friends of justice and
truth.

A waste of time and energy on the part of Democrats, which could, and should, have been spent on self-examination and a plan to reverse their 20-year political death march.

A re-awakening and rejuvenation of our disastrous “Cold War” mentality.

And…a surefire way to fire up Trump,s base.

4 Likes

Comey may have been a patsy of Brennan and Clapper; it makes total sense. The FBI may be a weak, squishy organization easily played by other agencies; it sure isn’t the wonderful organization in an Efrem Zimbalist Jr. TV show nor even the powerful, if corrupt, one in a David Duchovny TV show.

But I have little doubt that when Comey went to Trump with the dossier he was doing a long standing tradition of the permanent government, letting a new president know that they had the goods on him and he better play ball and be a submissive puppet.

But poor old dumb Donald thought Comey was being a friend and warning him. Poor old dumb Donald thought the thing to do was to stand up for himself and the truth. So it got released.

Still poor old dumb Donald didn’t realize what Comey had done to him.

Then he finally woke up and realized Comey had tried blackmailing him over the Russia thing.

That’s why he wanted him fired. That’s what he meant in the notorious interview that started the entire clamor for a special counsel.

Comey not only should have been fired. He should have been arrested on blackmailing charges.

But Trump Derangement Syndrome (which is not really about opposing his policies, I oppose his policies- well most of them,) went to ‘release the Kraken’ level and demanded an investigation into collusion and obstruction, as if firing an FBI head for blackmailing the President was wrong and is obstruction. Now two years later that craziness and upside down virtue signaling has reached even new levels of absurdity.

Gosh, I wish Trump had just done a press conference and taken responsibility in firing Comey saying, “Director Comey attempted to blackmail the President with the Steele Dossier. This is unacceptable. Therefore I am asking for his resignation. We need an FBI director who does not attempt blackmail to control the elected leader of the executive branch. The new director will be free to investigate anything the evidence leads him to investigate, including my person and my campaign. But this should be done within the proper structures of an investigation, not used to blackmail.”

Actually I wish that FDR had done that with J. Edgar Hoover.

I also wish that Harry Truman had been wise enough to not create the CIA- better yet that Henry Wallace had succeeded FDR.

But the permanent government has a long history of being entrenched in office completely unaffected by democratic elections (if they are even really ever democratic.)

6 Likes

And, they are not democratic.

1 Like

Get Real —why does Trump grovel at Putin’s feet ??? WHY ARE PEOPLE ON THE LEFT DEFENDING THE RUSSIAN ELITE ???

I am watching Tulsi Gabbard on PBS Newshour------she all but repeated the words of AG Barr----------WHO IS LYING!!! This alone is reason to impeach Trump!

Democrats should impeach Trump for a million reasons-----then show how bankrupt the Republican party is-----but then democrats must face their corruption. This coming debate with Sanders-Warren-Biden----and absolutely I hope Tulsi Gabbard is in the mix ----people need to DEMAND a real conversation on the issues------people need to DEMAND the gatekeepers allow this conversation to happen.

SUPPORT INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM! SUPPORT THE COMMONS! ----------NOT the ruling elite in Russia or the US.

The “new Cold War with Moscow shows little sign of abating. It is used to justify the expansion of NATO to Russia’s borders, a move that has made billions in profits for U.S. arms manufacturers. It is used to demonize domestic critics and alternative media outlets as agents of a foreign power. It is used to paper over the Democratic Party’s betrayal of the working class and the party’s subservience to corporate power. It is used to discredit détente between the world’s two largest nuclear powers. It is used to justify both the curtailment of civil liberties in the United States and U.S. interventions overseas—including in countries such as Syria and Venezuela. This new Cold War predates the Trump presidential campaign. It was manufactured over a decade ago by a war industry and intelligence community that understood that, by fueling a conflict with Russia, they could consolidate their power and increase their profits. (Seventy percent of intelligence is carried out by private corporations such as Booz Allen Hamilton, which has been called the world’s most profitable spy operation.)”

The U.S.A. is what it’s always been, a white male supremacist plutocracy. It’s only real achievement has been to violently, genocidally, become the world’s largest empire. It is exceptional in being the bloodiest empire in history. Nevertheless, it cannot even militarily defeat and control little Afghanistan. It keeps losing militarily but has found a way to profit nevertheless. It antagonizes and disrupts the whole world, sowing hate everywhere so as to profit from the chaos. Permanent war is now a necessity. Peace would bring down the whole economic house of cards.

American “defense" spending accounts for, by itself, over one-third of all global military spending, and it consumes the great majority of the federal discretionary budget but the US neoliberal economy depends on war. The war machine and its ramifications contribute more than 50% to the US GDP. Without war, the U.S. economy and its empire would collapse. Of course, such classic military overextension preceded the fall of previous empires. World peace would mean a black hole for the U.S. but the “exceptional” nation has no other way for the predatory owners to not only protect but increase their obscene wealth although a big difference now, as Joseph Tainter points out in "The Collapse of Complex Societies”, is that "collapse, if and when it comes again, will this time be global. No longer can any individual nation collapse. World civilization will disintegrate as a whole.” http://bit.ly/2ne7UK2

The U.S. military though. as at the end of previous empires. is overextended between 1000 foreign bases in 132 countries; moving troops out to concentrate for war would mean losing control of those 132 countries. Thus, wars are now fought with a volunteer army and reservists who, in Iraq, had to take 4-6 continuous tours. The U.S. has too small a military to both fight wars of aggression while occupying over 100 countries and could only do so by drafting eight million people.

Restoring the draft would quickly result in a Vietnam War-type protest. There is no way that permanent war, the price of empire, can be sustained in any way except with a volunteer army.

War is no longer about winning or losing. It is now about keeping the military-industrial complex adequately funded. The war machine must have enough war to fuel today’s nation-state which is becoming little more than a subservient member of global capitalism. War is the only way products can be consumed without depending on human consumption via markets. Occupation of countries is carried out with corruption and incompetence encouraged in order to guarantee insurrection and more “terrorists”. The more hatred the greater profit. It also has the added advantage of deflecting attention away from one’s nation and problems via enemies, “terrorists”, which are created while all wealth is transferred to the 1% “we”.

"The final stages of capitalism, Karl Marx predicted, would be marked by global capital being unable to expand and generate profits at former levels. Capitalists would begin to consume the government along with the physical and social structures that sustained them. Democracy, social welfare, electoral participation, the common good and investment in public transportation, roads, bridges, utilities, industry, education, ecosystem protection, and health care would be sacrificed to feed the mania for short-term profit. These assaults would destroy the host.” bit.ly/2ivNabE

The U.S.A. is now a full-fledged military empire. It now has no other way to survive. In the meantime “Russia now has nuclear missiles that can evade and elude any missile defense system. We are in a new and more perilous point in a 50-year nuclear arms race. Putin says, ‘We’ve developed these because of what you did. We can destroy each other.’ Now is the time for a serious, new arms control agreement. What do we get? Russiagate. Russiagate is one of the greatest threats to national security. Russia and China aren’t on there. Russiagate is number one.”’ bit.ly/2WmSZ2n

5 Likes

It really is getting old this Russia is a victim of western aggression bs. Russia and the west are one and the same in this regard.

Trump is Putins bitch. So whether you want to accept it or not. If your enemy is Trump then your enemy is Putin.

The US national security state largely ripped off the russian security state slick.