Home | About | Donate

Many Americans Believe Donald Trump Is Unfit to Serve. A Congressman Has a Plan to Determine That

Many Americans Believe Donald Trump Is Unfit to Serve. A Congressman Has a Plan to Determine That.

John Nichols

fore he was elected last year to the U.S. House of Representatives, Maryland Congressman Jamie Raskin earned wide recognition over a quarter century as a professor of constitutional law at American University’s Washington College of Law.

Proactively, great. But reactively, Raskin may be qualified to speak about the Constitution, but I see no indication that he's qualified to speak on djt's mental capacity. And for him to make such a statement as is quoted here undermines the very careful nature of the body he seeks to establish.

No doubt Trump is unfit to serve. Many presidents have been. This was a problem that the Constitutional convention anticipated by hedging the monarchical powers with checks and balances.
These have been systematically removed over the years, so that the President has powers far beyond those conceived of by the Founders. He may, for example, make war with impunity. Millions have been killed in undeclared wars. He may order the killing of anyone he chooses. He may listen to anyone's phone conversations and open anyone's mail, including email. He may dispose of hundreds of billions of dollars without Congressional authorisation.
You get the picture. Did Jamie Raskin object when Obama was killing kids by drone in Arabia? Did he make a fuss when he learned from Snowden that every rule in the book of surveillance was being broken? Did he object when Ghadaffi was killed? Or Syria attacked?
Perhaps he did. In which case he needs to take lessons in assertiveness. He might want to check out the careers of Wayne Morse and Fulbright too. A guy doesn't have to wait for a lynch mob to assemble before speaking the truth. And if he does he lacks credibility.

Donald Trump Is Unfit to Serve..... but so are Pence and Ryan and the whole crew of pervasively corrupt, war-mongering "leaders"

Note that confirming Trump's unfitness using the 25th amendment or any other method plus two bucks buys a cup of coffee.

Unless you have an AG or Congress willing to do something about said POTUS unfitness there is no value in this exercise.

Trump may or may not be unfit to serve, however it is beyond question that those that elected him are unfit to vote!

Raskin doesn't need to comment on trumps mental capacity. His point is to set up a bi-partisan, medical commission that was called for 50 years ago in the 25th amendment.

[quote="WeBYaks, post:7, topic:41750"]
no indication that he's qualified to speak on djt's mental capacity

Raskin doesn't need to comment on trumps mental capacity. His point is to set up a bi-partisan, medical commission that was called for 50 years ago in the 25th amendment.

But the point is, he did. He shouldn't have.

I don't think the problem is Triump's mental capacity exactly--it is several-fold. First, for decades, he has been accustomed to operating exactly--exactly--as he wishes without any checks and balances or stop signs, no parent to swat his behind when he does something egregious. And then there's his contempt for women. I have no respect for him because he must think he's being cute when he refers to women obscenely. Somebody should have kicked him where it hurts...

And further, he's extremely immature, a blabberer, a bucket-mouth -- I also see him as a braggart and a whiner: "nobody has been treated as badly as I have been treated..." He is a bully who tried to manipulate Comey, and failed. I certainly understand why Comey refused to pledge his loyalty to Trump. Trump wants only yes-men around him. He needs to go back in the oven to bake some more -- his integrity is sorely missing. We are in for a chaotic ride as long as he's president. I look forward to impeachment procedings.

I'm not sorry, but I have no use for him at all.