Home | About | Donate

Marta Flies Away

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/further/2020/12/19/marta-flies-away

3 Likes

Brava! Brava! Magnifica!!!

7 Likes

[sekhmetsdaughter]

Brava! Brava! Magnifica!!!

This brought tears to my eyes. I watched it twice. I remember Pavlova, when from when I was very young. To watch this lady, so close to becoming a dying swan, herself, recreate a part of the ballet, with what still worked of her body, and do it so gracefully. Bravo, dear lady, bravo!
;-})

6 Likes

That was wonderful and it did make me cry.
Why do so many Americans have alzheimers?

Did people aways have this and why do so many people at a certain age? Or–is it something that began with polluting a nations food, air and waterways—and I wonder too, about all the medicines that are given to older people—is it possible that the many, many medicines and pills that older people get-----do doctors and hospital make sure that medicines can’t interact with other medicines or foods to make sure that the cause doesn’t originate with the drug makers?

6 Likes

Marta’s final performance of Swan Lake was her swan song. I didn’t see this final video of her as being sad; rather, it allowed her to remember and embrace what her youth had been – would that we could all embrace our own swan song in our final moments of life.

5 Likes

Hi Wolfess,
I find that, in my dotage, I shed many tears. Not much of it is sadness as we tend to define it. With Marta it was mainly respect. I feel the same with the passing of many artists and authors, and just plain working stiffs, a number of whom I have known and worked with. I shed tears sometimes, watching a beautiful sunset through the trees and watching the beautiful colors it paints on the mountain tops.

Coming back to Marta, it was not sadness for her parting. Hopefully, she has moved on to a better place, but I think my tears were for another artist whom we will never see again, except in our memories and in my 80’s I have many who only live in my memories.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to be maudlin. (Must be my age.)
ARRRROUUUUU!
;-})

6 Likes

Bravo Wolfess!

5 Likes

The dying swan part is sad enough; and Marta mimed it beautifully, a fitting good bye to a great career.

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky is an immortal great; and a Russian hero who has and will benefit many generations. There is a street named after him in Tbilisi, Georgia where he lived for while while he taught at the Tbilisi Conservatory which is still very active.

Georgia kept one good aspect of the Soviet system: that is affordable “high” culture for the masses. All sorts of classical performances are very inexpensive, unlike the US.

2 Likes

Salutations Minitrue,
I too have shed many tears, not in sadness but in awe of the beauty we (not often enough these days) find in nature – I have had monarchs! and bumblebees! in my front yard the past 2 summers, and while I am overjoyed everytime I see one I am also saddened knowing how close to extinction they are. My husband and a stray kitty started our wild beastie feeding regimen more than 10 years ago and they continue to come to this very day! My husband brought me a bag of peanuts in the shell to our grocery cart and since they were $5 I incredulously asked him what he planned to do with them – he said he was going to feed them to Angus b (a black squirrel that had been showing up in our yard) so I relented and agreed to buy them. Once the peanuts were out there, more squirrels showed up and that brought the stray kitty (I named her Freya) so then I had to feed her so she wouldn’t need to eat the squirrels. Over the years we have fed squirrels, 3 stray kitties, myriad birds (including crows!) a family of raccoons and opossums. I rejoice in our ability to continue providing for all the wild beasties, but am saddened by the fact that there are so many that probably wouldn’t get fed if we and our neighbors didn’t make a point of caring about them.

My father worked for the National Park Service and every summer we would visit a different national park – I have seen Yellowstone and watched while Old Faithful erupted, was enthralled with the mud pots (and wanted to play in them); loved the ‘icicles’ (stalactites and stalagmites) in Mammoth Cave and loved the picnics we used to have in the ruins at Chaco Canyon. I find it utterly unconscionable what the covidiot has allowed to happen to all these amazing places across our formerly great nation; and that makes me both sad and angry.

And you definitely were NOT maudlin; indeed, reading your comments on this thread simply made me feel safe expressing my own thoughts and ideas!

Concerning your wolf howl at the end of your comments to me – a dear friend of mine read my copy of Women Who Run With the Wolves and decided my Wiccan name should be Wolfess … and ARRRROUUUUU right back atcha!

4 Likes

Thank yah; thank yah verah much (to be spoken the way Elvis Presley said it) dear friend!

Hope you and your better half are staying safe and well – we haven’t gone out in public since we made a trip to the grocery store on Thanksgiving. The dialysis patients that have tested positive for covid get dialysis separately on days that the well ones are not scheduled, and so far these 10-odd months that we’ve known about it Mike has stayed negative.

2 Likes

Ahhh yes, “Do what you will, but do no harm.” Goddess bless you!

Sounds like we have paralleled quite a bit. We’ve both been “Cataholics” most of our lives. After retiring, we wound up in a “no pets” apartment in Sausalito. It rapidly became impossible for a retired couple to live in Sausalito, and my wife’s father lived with her there as well. I delivered an old schooner to Singapore from Sausalito right after I retired. When I got back, I decided we should move back to Washington, and I found a position as caretaker for the CWB at their new location on Camano Island. That was about 1994. Being lonesome, I adopted a kitty from the local pound. I had to sign an agreement to have her spayed. After a couple of months, she disappeared. A few weeks later, when I was writing an obituary for her in my journal, she showed up, happy, healthy, and pregnant. My wife told me on the phone to let her have the kittens. We’ll keep them all and raise them as a family. I dropped by the pound, and they’d always ask how Tanya was doing. I told them she was fine, and pregnant. WOW! They were going to sue me for breach of agreement, blah, blah. I said, "But we are going to keep her kittens, raise them as a family, and they will all be spayed and get their shots at the proper time. They’d never heard of such a thing, but were quite enthusiastic about it. We raised Tanya and her four kitties and finally bought a home on the island. We have about four acres which has all gone back to forest now. We left it alone because with all the building in the area, the wild life had no place to go. For some reason, people used to abandon cats in our area. Some ferals turned up as well, often pregnant. We fed them, and all the other animals and birds that sheltered in the woods. Anyway, the upshot of it all was, over the years we adopted 24 kitties. Most of them became indoor cats. Tanya passed away at eighteen years. One of her kittens lived to be twenty. Just before Thanksgiving, our last kitty passed at eighteen years and four months. We still have a backyard full of birds, squirrels, deer and other critters, but the house sure feels cold and empty when we get home. Being in our eighties, we won’t adopt any more because we’d probably leave them orphans. But, that’s our cat tale.
Love and Hugs, ARRRROUUUUU!
The Minitrues
;-})

3 Likes

We are both still walking upright “Baby Girl.” Say “Hi” to Mike for me and I hope you both have a Wonderful Happy New Year!

I look forward to 2021.

2 Likes

Thank you soooo much for describing your idyllic life – responding here in Hamiltonia I can totally understand and embrace everything you described! While we live in the middle of a fair-sized city we most definitely do not inhabit the USA as it is today, rather, we live in our very own country on the corner of Hamilton & 69th St. We have 2 mini schnauzers and the perfectly booful OES that is my avatar … this coming wednesday [1/6] is the 1 year anniversary of the day we sent Frodo and Dulcinea to Rainbow Bridge (insert sad face). At 67-years-stubborn I am enjoying the 3 too much to add even 1 more, but … if at all possible at some point in the future I seriously want to bring a Maine coon kitten into our home while Chaco (our OES) is still with us.

Concerning deer in your backyard – not long after we moved to ‘Hamiltonia’ and b4 we fenced the backyard, our original 2 schnauzers (Humphrey and Angus) were out in the backyard when a deer came loping up our hillside! He managed to avoid the dogs and as soon as he appeared, he was gone! 3 summers ago l went out to the fenced-in garden in our backyard just in time to watch a line of baby ducks waddle back behind our ‘cabin’ – the Goddess has blessed us with such an idyllic life here in Hamiltonia I seriously cannot imagine leaving it!

Thank you so much for sharing your life, and please hug your ‘better half’ for me!

ARRRROUUUUU to a much needed better life in 2021!

2 Likes

OMGoddess PonyBoy you have no idea how much I truly love being your ‘Derek Morgan’ Garcia – you know, in a past life the head hairstylist at the salon I was bookkeeper for decided I should be a blonde. It worked, but the guys that hit on the ‘blonde me’ couldn’t deal with the fact that I wasn’t the blonde in that old joke – how do you tell when someone has a blonde secretary? ( From the white-out on the computer screen.) p.s. – I seriously love Penelope Garcia! **I’d say we have all earned a Happy New year!

And I agree 200% about looking forward to 2021 (when the covidiot is O-U-T!)

2 Likes

Wishing you and Mike the Happiest New Year Ever, Blondie! :gift_heart:

2 Likes

Right back atcha PB!

2 Likes

I shed tears when I think of how things could be, or could have been, compared to what is. So much treasure and resources and blood spent and so many innocent lives cut short all for the sake of war and violence. What a waste. What a goddamned waste. We had a paradise. We destroyed it for profit.

3 Likes

As a seventeen, turned eighteen, year old sailor in the Navy, I was exposed to seven H-Bombs at Bikini in 1956. I was so sick I thought I would die from my exposure. Now, I’m in my eighties. I’ve had a lot of ups and downs, cancers and illnesses, but seem to have survived. I wonder, sometimes, if the relative few of us nuclear veterans that still survive are here so there will be some actual witnesses of the horror of nuclear and thermonuclear armaments. The jerks that run the government, the military and the MICC have never seen or been exposed to any of this. To them, it like a big computer game.
“Boom! I blow up a city or two, you surrender, and I go in and take your resources and your people for cheap labor.” The people that own most of the world’s wealth and resources would just about fill a Greyhound Bus. We the People of the World are over seven and a half billion. Most are hungry, homeless, sick and starving. Perhaps it is time that someone drove that Greyhound off a very tall cliff with an ocean view. The splash would be spectacular!
;-})

2 Likes