Home | About | Donate

Mass Karma

Mass Karma

Robert C. Koehler

This won’t be the last.

Half a week into the Orlando tragedy, this reality remains pretty much unacknowledged, as cause-seekers focus on security and ISIS and the specific mental instability of Omar Mateen, who, as the world knows, took 49 precious lives and injured 53 others at the nightclub Pulse in the early hours of June 12.

While I believe in the Law of Karma and find the premise of social substitutability to be viable; as usual I contest this frame:

"Under official circumstances, we glorify this sort of behavior. And this glory permeates the American social structure, creating a sort of standing permission for every troubled individual — every potential army of one — to wage war against a self-perceived wrong."

When Mr. Koehler uses the term WE he lumps all persons into the category that favors war. That is not true.

Secondly, Mr. Koehler uses the conditioned behavior; and by that I mean the mindset relentlessly programmed into gullible people after the FALSE FLAG of 911 (with its endless recitations of "enemy" nonsense) to confuse those programmed with The Program, itself.

This sort of thing makes the individual's conscience invisible, and that is just what The State does when it's controlled by the War Department, a/k/a Mars Rules.

And while karmic blow-back indeed does happen, suggesting that gay people in a nightclub are its target is just one notch above that of the Fundamentalist Christians like Jerry Fallwell who REALLY push this meme.

Robert I greatly admire your sensibilities expressed through your writing, but you said something here not once, but twice, which I strongly disagree with. The Iraq debacle was not a mistake. Those that perpetrated that crime (in our name) are guilty of many things, but stupidity is not one of them.

edit: to understand why it was not a "mistake" see Andrew Cockburn's just-posted piece.

People don't make wars, governments do. Our government is saturated with paranoid politicians like Hillary that are afraid of anything different from themselves. They are like abusers that bully for power because they are weak.
Like austerity, which has been proven to be a failed policy, the neoliberal mind set cannot accept that their policies have failed for many years. We don't win wars we create them and then raise the steaks if the people being bombed fight back. It's common knowledge that these indiscriminate drone bombs are creating more terrorists, hell they've turned our government into the biggest terrorists in the world. The war on terror has failed miserably but do you think for one minute this oh, so, experienced candidate would be smart enough to change course in light of the massive upheaval we've caused and the obvious failures? Not a chance.
Governments fight wars for money or oil or whatever but they don't really want them to end, they make too much money.

Robrt Kohler's past words: "They had significance as symbols, not individuals.” (emphasis added)
This use of words, I would submit, must be considered very carefully. To speak of what is arguably a human stage specific mode of thinking utilizing 'symbol', one is already asserting the origin, not an abstract, of what it means to BE a human being living and experiencing a spiritual condition, which informs entire dimensions that can be subjected to dissociative polarization.

Western perspectives, in essence, all too often claim that anything that cannot be measured instrumentally, such as spiritual condition, simply does not exist. As a result manifestations like concepts of oikos reduced to predatory capitalism, plague social-spiritual balances in our collective existence with tragic results.

In many aspects of life responses to tragic trauma halt at and are halted by the response conditioned by the sketchy abstract notion implicit in not thinking through what "individual" actually implies as state of being. It is devoid of conscientious choice to center oneself and actions in a social-spiritual journey where the goal is the journey, inextricable from all of existence. Even science has noted that the atoms and molecules in our bodies are being and have been shared through virtually all of existence over time and space and electromagnetic exchanges - in a fluid dance of life.

Our considerations of how we envision and posit the values we eschew and those we engage inform how we articulate what it means to be a human being. Frequently someone who adopts a political stance that is aggressive and acquisitive of "being right", experiences a profound change of heart when tragedy impacts their life directly.

I would submit that part off our task and our journey is to break the momentum of the cycles of violence.

For the aggressively politically condemnatory religious right, I would submit for consideration The Kingdom of God (As Quakers See It)

And to truly wrestle with the centuries old narratives and locution of concepts like "kingdom" in order to subvert the poisonous terminological baggage and turn it into healthy ballast.

First of all, I do not buy into the idea of "Karma," as if an invisible being was punishing us as children. I believe in choices, and choices we all make are fluid. This tragedy should not be talked about as if we are philosphizing into our collective psych. Let people process this, and mourn their familiy members and friends. That is what is important now. Imagine being a victim who is in recovery at a hospital. This is about them now, and that is it. For you younger people out there, please know that after 911 some wingnuts had the audacity to say in so many words that "we" were being punished for our sins. Huh???? These are tragidies, and newscasters only serve to inflame some of those outliers in my opinion. Let people grieve, and find ways in your own communties to help others. Policies and pundits can always be addressed-they are not going anywhere.

Unfortunately, "karmic blowback"does not always happen. For some who are ultrareligious, they truly believe that , and that's one of the roots of the Puritan work ethic ( work harder and you'll get to heaven theme). In reality karma does not always bite at all. The banksters of Wall Street crashed the economy, then they got rescued and got bonuses. Is that a "karmic bite? Of course not. People are entitled to their opinions, What is real of course is that 49 people are deceased, and 53 ( at least) people are injured some of them quite seriously. That is awful and shocking beyond words. What is also shocking is that the news kept blasting this over and over again. The families and friends and of course the living victims themselves need time to grieve and heal. As a nation, we tend to focus on "healing" before there is even time to grieve.

Karma is in biblical sense: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."
Or: "As you sow, so shall you reap."

Physics: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Street Jargon: "What goes around, comes around."

Justice: The Balance Scales.

Karma is almost never "instant" other wise individual indiscretions would almost cease as they would learn almost immediately from their negative actions. In this sense karma is like a slow boomerang that thrown out, forgotten about and then some time later hits one in the back of head and then said individual wonders "why me."

Karma almost always implies reincarnation of individual spirit that results in payback of said karmic actions both good and bad. No one has all good or all bad karma's but some mixture of both. Karma's run their course both good and bad, whether we are kings or killers. No Priest,
Minister, Rabbi, etc can forgive bad karma or bestow good karma, although most make their living pretending to.

Most spiritual adepts believe in transmigration of the spirit through various species, down to sub species. i.e. Hindus believe there are 8,400,000 species in this earth creation and one potentially might have to transit through them all before getting the extremely rare form of human birth. Humans have the greatest potential for good or evil because of their apparent greater "free will."

Karma like gravity, was and is always around effecting our actions and outcomes even if it isn't believed in, known or defined (people fell of cliffs and died even before gravity was discovered).

Happy sailing.

And now, right on cue, the Westboro Baptists of hatred and bigotry are floating in on their vulture wings, attracted by the stench of death.

"Under official circumstances, we glorify this sort of behavior. And this glory permeates the American social structure, creating a sort of standing permission for every troubled individual — every potential army of one — to wage war against a self-perceived wrong."

When Mr. Koehler uses the term WE he lumps all persons into the category that favors war. That is not true.

any statement a person speaks or writes has two interpretations. first, the intended message of the speaker or writer and second, the interpretation of the listener or reader of those words. words are symbols which carry different connotations from one person to the next. therefor, our attempted communications often bring frustration when another member completely misunderstands the writer's intent. for example, i took bob koehler's phrase, "Under official circumstances," as a qualifier for the "we" who glorify war. surely, none of us here who read robert's essays each week lump him into the category that favors war. whether or not any person agrees with those who presume to speak for all citizens, most people on earth assume "empire america" to be a bellicose, war-loving culture. the media, hollywood and popular t.v. shows reinforce the idea that this nation adores the hyper-masculine hero and shero. in my neighborhood about one of every three houses proudly displays the american flag and two homes have added a confederate flag!

And while karmic blow-back indeed does happen, suggesting that gay people in a nightclub are its target is just one notch above that of the Fundamentalist Christians like Jerry Fallwell who REALLY push this meme.

karma is one of those words that carries numerous meanings depending on the spiritual depth of a person using or hearing the word. in my mind karmic law is a spiritual statement of the physical law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. blow-back! in some of your past posts i've read comments such as, "I'd like to be there to see Cheney, Rove or (fill in the blank) when their Karma comes down.' i don't believe karma to be limited to our human concept of Time. so, it might mean that a person who lives as a slave owner, for example, would get an opportunity to experience life as a slave. that, i think, would be more in concert with the buddha's teachings as i understand his message.

at this time in our history we see so much upheaval in the world. environmental degradation, natural resource depletion, global warming and climate change, and wars that never end. we hear of thousands of climate and war refugees drowning at sea. imagine how it must feel to find oneself in such desperate straights in need of a helping hand and nation after nation turns one away. surely, we cannot believe these innocents deserve to die at sea.

mr. kohler is capable of speaking for himself, but in my opinion he is not homophobic and your interpretation, comparing him to fallwell is way off base! i feel he means the blow-back to the official admiration of war comes in the guise of these mass murders.

p.s. 'souixrose' you might enjoy soraya chemaly interview in which she explains her research connecting the patriarchy's failure to connect domestic violence with men who become mass murderers.