Home | About | Donate

Massachusetts Dems in Turmoil Over Proposal to Condemn West Bank Settlements

Massachusetts Dems in Turmoil Over Proposal to Condemn West Bank Settlements

Nika Knight, staff writer

The Massachusetts Democratic Party has been plunged into turmoil by a proposed resolution stating that Israel's illegal settlements in the West Bank are an obstacle to peace between Israel and Palestine, the Boston Globe reported Friday.

Translation: Democratic Party leaders cannot even go on record as saying they're opposed to illegal activity, if it means the party might lose out on some cash.

There's just one party in this country, the "Republicratic" party!

The democratic party has been officially anti-democracy for so long that people have dropped out by the millions.

Support for endless war, apartheid religious states and corporatist takeover of natural resources in small defenseless counties is anti-democratic.

Non support for unions, universal health insurance and education is anti-democratic.

Super delegates and the undermining of Bernie Sanders is anti-democratic.

Let's hope the Massachusetts democratic party chooses the side of democracy as long as it chooses to use the name democratic party.

Otherwise, democrats are not democrats at all, they are just another anti environment, pro war front for upper class corporatists.

Is this the same party that, during the 2012 nominating convention, propose a plank in the party platform that read something similar to this? And it passed by voice vote, only to be overturned by a couple of "leadership" liars at the podium?

Good luck breaking the Israeli death grip on either party's foreign policy platforms.

What is it with this almost cult like worship of Israel? It's almost pathological, to the point where people refuse to even consider a more objective, fact-based assessment of the dynamics the creation of Israel has put in motion, and are still being played out today. I don't get it. And for the Dems to weasel and slime their way around just standing for justice and peace is beyond disgusting.

I beg to differ with you somewhat, ncycat. While I agree that the building of settlements, and Israel's longstanding occupation of West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem are to be condemned, and Israel should be forced to freeze all settlement building, evacuate their troops and right-wing Israeli Jewish settlers from those territories, and to allow the Palestinians to create their own independent, sovereign nation-state alongside Israel in those territories, I do favor Israel's right to exist, just the same.

Ummm...if you re-read my post you will see that I don't state Israel has no right to exist. But now that you have brought up the point, a close examination of the imperialist assumptions that the decision was rooted in makes Israel's creation as a separate nation state a dubious proposition at best. I get all the rationales, and they do demonstrate a sense of guilt and empathy that has been sorely lacking in European and American history. And I definitely think those adhering to the Jewiish faith are entitled to a safe place they can call home and be finally allowed to live their lives according to their belief system. That's called basic respect for human rights. But to carve out a place without consulting those already inhabiting the region and just tell them to "deal with it," and then support their oppression is reprehensible at best. Oh, but gee, that's what Americans did to the Native Americans and the Europeans to Africa as a continent, so maybe historical precedent makes that okay?

The first settlement on the West Bank after the Six Day War was Kfar Etzion. The land was bought by Jews in 1927. In 1929, Palestinians destroyed the settlement. In the 1930, Jews rebuilt the settlement, but again it was destroyed by Palestinians. It was rebuilt in 1943, but destroyed again in 1948. 157 Jews were murdered. 4 Jews survived. It was rebuilt by the survivors in 1967. Why is Kfar Etzion illegal?

The Jews were returning to their homeland.
If you dig in Israel, you will find ancient Jewish synagogues,
ancient Jewish ritual baths & ancient Jewish coins.

It's illegal because of a little thing we like to call the Geneva Convention.

Also outlaws genocide, collective punishment and torture of peoples on occupied territories.

How was rebuilding Kfar Etzion violating the Geneva Convention?

Glad to hear that you plan to return your home to the native "Americans" . Let us know when you move out.

Oh, come on, ncycat! What country or countries on Heaven's green-and-gold earth wasn't/weren't founded by other groups chasing away, displacing and/or killing off all the original inhabitants in those countries, or swaths of land? None, as far as I can see. This has been going on since the beginning of time. Why is it any worse for Israel than other countries to do that?

You can pretend that you don't know the answers to your questions, but clearly you already do.

The Jews you refer to who bought that land may have a credible legal claim to it. The Israeli government that later rebuilt it does not.

The land was bought by a Jew, Shmuel Zvi Holtzman. Hana Porat lived in Kfar Etzion before Arabs destroyed it in 1948.
I don't see anything illegal about Hanan Porat's rebuilding his village.

Why was there no resolution about illegal Chinese settlers in Tibet or illegal Turkish settlers in Cyprus?

Ummm...that's an interesting way to look at it. So, if one group commits a
crime at some point, others are excused for doing the same thing?. That
sounds like deflecting to me, on a grand scale.

I am aware of the fact that there was once a civilization there. I also know that may peoples of the Jewish faith are Semites, and many are not. I am aware of the fact that they have been persecuted and that Hitler brought this to a head with his genocidal crime spree. I get it. What I am saying, is that Israel was carved out of land that hadn't been occupied by the Jewish people for centuries, and was at the time the Palestinian homeland. It was an act of arrogance to dismiss the rights and claims of the Palestinians regardless of the motives (guilt?) of the nation states who signed on to that decision. If we justify that, then we need to take a good hard look at ourselves and see just how willing we are to return the land of the US to the Aboriginal peoples from whom we literally stole it, and committed genocide doing so. Hypocrisy rules.

Jews have been living in Palestine for thousands of years.
Jews are the Aboriginal people.
When Zionists began arriving, native Jews were a minority, but they were there.
Native Jews were an oppressed minority.

In 1839, the British consul, William Young, said that the poor Jew in Jerusalem...lives from day to day in terror of his life....Young attributed the plight of the Jew in Jerusalem to “the blind hatred and ignorant prejudice of a fanatical populace,”

JEWS IN JERUSALEM.
New York Times December 29, 1878
Crowded together in the worst lodgings, or in the dark cellars under a synagogue building, without food, fuel, or water –even water at Jerusalem being a commodity of price – numbers died of starvation and various diseases, while others went raving mad. Those who could labor were denied employment by the bigotry of the Mussulmans and of the Oriental Christians.

Notice the date. This was before the first Zionists arrived in Palestine. Notice the word bigotry.

Jews had lived for centuries in Hebron & Gaza until they were ethnically cleansed from those areas in 1929.
During the week of riots from 23 to 29 August, 133 Jews were killed by Arabs and 339 others were injured,
and now Palestinians oppress Israelis

Just exactly what does that information do to support your position? I am
talking about imperialist carving out of an artificial state where none
such existed, and telling the people living there they had to shut up and
deal with it. That the Palestinians refused to accept this and fought back
is not surprising. American history shows all kinds of Native American
push-back to what was happening to them--and they were called evil savages
too. Every push-back they came up with was suppressed with extreme
prejudice and violence. Same in the Middle East.