Home | About | Donate

'Massive Floating Time Bomb': Warnings of Ecological, Humanitarian Disaster as Tanker Risks Dumping Four Times More Oil Than Exxon Valdez

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/16/massive-floating-time-bomb-warnings-ecological-humanitarian-disaster-tanker-risks

5 Likes

“If the SAFER leaks, potentially spilling four times more oil into the Red Sea than the Exxon Valdez oil spill,” Andersen said, “ecosystems and fisheries would be damaged for an extended period into the future.”

True, very, very true. As an Alaskan resident I have witnessed first hand the devastation of the Exxon Valdez’s 1989 oil spill on the beaches of Prince William Sound and what a lot of people ( because it is never reported) are not aware of is that devastation is still being felt today. And will be extended well into the future!

10 Likes

Bring in 4 smaller tankers and offload - this ain’t rocket science - just a supremely concise example of how sick the industry is. So sick it does not recognize the endangerment of planetary health.

One more reason to leave the fossil fuel industry for a living future

Simplify, reduce, reuse, recycle, Co-Ops, public banking, accountability, tax corporations again!!!

7 Likes

It also took years for Exxon to pay out for damages done to the fishing industry and only paid out a small fraction of what was originally requested in the litigation process. Grifters ,scammers and scumbags all the way. Peace

5 Likes

Well said!

3 Likes

The UN has apparently broached this crisis before - with also apparently zero action. the UN is long on talk and short (very) on action - and that includes every other nation and government in a position to do something about this impending massive disaster.- a global pollution!

The fix is clear; get the goddamned oil off into something - somewhere safe whatever it takes and whoever’s feathers are ruffled!

For fucks sake are we living in a completely politically incompetent world? - Don’t answer that! - get a goddamn warship or two if needed and the requisite super tankers in a coalition together for this one purpose and get-it done!
The Houthis hopefully will not oppose the effort if given incentive of some meaningful sort, or not screwed as is likely (as they have been for years) by whoever takes the reins - that is paramount it seems, beside some serious and immediate action…but, dither, dither, talk, talk, and prevaricate - the MO of idiot world governments such is the legacy and effect of trump’s rotten shite rolling downhill!

4 Likes

The Red Sea is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

So let’s ship lots of filthy oil right through it.
And then pretend that Saudi Arabia can defeat the Houthis.
And when the war in Yemen we help to prolong leads to environmental disaster…
Like the last oil spill disaster…
Let’s claim we never saw it coming.

7 Likes

Related (in my view): Bush ignoring PDBs reporting “Bin Laden determined to strike in the U.S.”

2 Likes

It’s been there for 5 years according to the following article and i remember reading about it months ago:

~https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-16/oil-tanker-yemen-risks-spilling-disaster-as-exxon-valzez-un-says/12462582

1 Like

Like: are we living in a world where action and coordination by the world government can be easily neutered by the capricious vetos and wims of a handful of powerful countries who mostly are not all that politically and morally competent?

4 Likes

I got pulled into the task force after the Exxon Valdez oil spill through the EPA and various other agencies. Oil, water, beaches, you are fucked. Ain’t no scientist/engineer going to remedy that. You are fucked. Wish we were smarter, but we’re not.

4 Likes

Greed overrules intelligence time and time again.
At least dogs don’t shit in their own food dish. But we will.

4 Likes

" For a living future". I lived in Valdez, Alaska before the Exxon Valdez climate disaster and Prince William Sound had some of the most unpolluted, pristine and pure waters in the world. It just broke my heart to see the horrible devastation of it after the Exxon oil spill because it will never be the same again!

5 Likes

The scalia court in all of its conservative wisdom cut the judgment by half. No justice, just the same old story …

1 Like

now the ‘pebble project’ is being rammed down our throats, ensuring future environmental disaster for bristol bay.
the extraction industry is a filthy curse on alaska.

2 Likes

Will humans or won’t humans prevent a catastrophic accident?
Hmmm…hard to tell.

I agree and anyone who collects the PDF is contributing to that curse!

1 Like

Yes. A tanker and a couple of U.S. battleships would be sufficient to get this solved.

1 Like

The most dangerous ship on the planet is named Safer. Really? You can’t make this shit up! Orwell would be proud.

2 Likes

This is another example: Arctic diesel spill - 20,000 tonnes of Russian diesel spill into Arctic river. Water in the river actually catches on fire.

~ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4JQ1aSspUI

1 Like