Home | About | Donate

Massive Lines in Georgia on First Day of In-Person Voting Exemplify Ongoing 'Voter Suppression,' Say Critics

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/12/massive-lines-georgia-first-day-person-voting-exemplify-ongoing-voter-suppression

3 Likes

Ah, the awesome power of government. Government can kill, government can surveill, government can police, government can lock people in their homes, but government cannot organize efficient voting systems. Gosh, don’t ya just wanna break out in a rousing, frothing chant of USA! USA! USA! USA!?

11 Likes

We having elections here in BC at the provincial level shortly. I am not sure I could handle waiting in a line for 5 hours to cast my ballot . The line I am hearing is that quite a few voted via mail and that this should mitigate those lineups to a great degree. We shall see. (The longest wait over since i started voting some 40 years back was 16 minutes)

3 Likes

When you disenfranchise voters you destroy democracy! The more the Republicans do this, the less trusted democratic principles will be! Is Oligarchic rule what the GOP is attempting to foist on the country? Is that what this is all about?

2 Likes

What people will endure to get rid of this cretin. Then again, so are his supporters.

4 Likes

A friend of mine asked me a question about absentee voting via text so we weren’t communicating effectively. I thought she was helping a parent in Georgia at work but she was asking about our state South Carolina. I told her we don’t have early voting. (I read that earlier this summer as I specifically looked it up). Then she clarified that she was asking if she needed an absentee ballot to vote early. I was confused. I said,”That’s absurd.” Whay would you need an absentee ballot if you show up in person to vote early. Well, apparently, in South Carolina, they call early voting absentee ballot, WTF? I went to our county voting sites and state sites for clarification: NONE! You have to really tease out the meaning. What does it all spell? DISENFRANCHISEMENT! Beware the desperation of a losing party. They will commit all kinds of voter fraud to get their way as they whine all the way home.

6 Likes

From the article:

“‘their goal is to keep lines moving and avoid problems’ that occurred during Georgia’s primary election on June 9…”

I can’t believe that election officials could make the above statement in the midst of precisely the same problems occurring – where the fuck is Stacey Abrams, who runs a high profile voting rights group out of Georgia!?

Stacey, how powerless/useless is your organization? Damn.

4 Likes

Don’t dump on Stacey. What have you don’t to promote voting or to educate the public?

1 Like

I don’t run an organization taking in lots of donations to promote voting rights, like Stacey does.
And if I did, I’d be embarrassed if I got the crappy results in my home state that Stacey got.

Especially after a repeat performance just four months after a previous debacle.

4 Likes

Glad to see, in the photo, distancing and most wearing masks.
When everybody knew there would be very heavy turnouts across the country it is sad to see republicans freak out and try subvert the vote.

2 Likes

The voting rights people are up against a well oiled machine run by republicans in Georgia. The turnout will speak to her effectiveness amongst all who are not republicans. The current governor subverted the governor’s race last time around and has trained his appointment as State Registrar. You are just like most men, wanting to put down a highly intelligent, Ivy League, successful woman because she happens to be a female. Get over it; it’s almost 2021.

2 Likes

Noam Chomsky, staring into the conflagration’s outer bands:

Hard to believe, but the very fact that such thoughts are voiced by sober and respected voices, and echoed throughout the mainstream, is reason enough to be deeply concerned about the prospects for U.S. society. I rarely quote New York Times senior correspondent Thomas Friedman, but when he asks whether this might be our last democratic election, he is not joining us “wild men in the wings” — to quote McGeorge Bundy’s term for those who don’t automatically conform to approved doctrine.

Perhaps it is mere coincidence, but there is a remarkable correlation between the dedication of leaders to demolish the democratic order and their expediting the slaughter of their own populations by COVID-19. The current ranking of cases and deaths, reported by the authoritative South China Morning Post (Hong Kong), are, from the top:

United States: 7,551,428 cases, 211,844 deaths
India: 6,835,655 cases, 105,526 deaths
Brazil: 5,000,694 cases, 148,228 deaths

~https://truthout.org/articles/noam-chomsky-trump-is-willing-to-dismantle-democracy-to-hold-on-to-power/

2 Likes

The democrats have so far not said a word about the guerrilla voter suppression tactics used by the republicans and I’ll tell you why: they are themselves extremely guilty of a great deal of voter manipulation and election rigging themselves. In any open debate on the subject, they would not want to have to answer those hard questions themselves. The emails Trump kept trying to get released about Hillary Clinton were emails which would have exposed her election rigging against Bernie Sanders in the Primary. It’s amazing that whatever media control existed was enough to suppress that fact even as Trump continue insisting on the emails’ release. In the 90’s ;when Bill Clinton was President, the state of Oregon began mailing ballots to every registered voter as a way of increasing voter participation statewide, and the Clinton white House was furious and strongly opposed to the practice - not because of fraud, but because in general a right wing oligarchy does not like voter participation, and the Clintons were right wing oligarchs then as they are now.

6 Likes

Having lived through life threatening situations, childhood through last week, in spite of suicidal tendencies, as I close in on 22,000 days, patterns
suggest Im in for the long haul.
What do you do when everything is on the line and shit goes sideways? Shit, cry, piss & moan, whatever you got to do…then if you want to stay on Team Survivor you, if you lived in my neighborhood your mama told you the same thing, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and you take what was given to you and GIVE, give YOUR gifts to that and CREATE what it takes to take one more, the next step, and you work for the sake of love of life to your last breath.
These long lines of oppression must scare the living shit out of the oppressors, they do know how to count, like counting money, most of THESE voters are negative value to them, anti-power, Kryptonite. Waves of deconstruction, anathema to antipathy.
The world, LIFE, is on fire and the evolution of revoltion is not pain free, birth has pain, and love, blood and another breath, new eyes.
Stand, step, strive,

2 Likes

If you think it’s a glitch, I have some beautiful ocean front property in northwest Georgia I would like to sell you, cheap. It’s not ocean front yet, but it soon will be. These people are not merely Machiavellian: Making innocent and decent people suffer is their stock in trade. What does that make them?

2 Likes

You are absolutely correct about Stacy Abrams. She’s a sheepdog-ette.
She has made a public name for herself and profited bigly by claiming to work against voter suppression, including when she was running for governor.
But her organization and efforts are clueless and ineffectual.
Worse yet, she’s a Clintonista, aligned with the most corrupt elements in the Democratic Party. I’m proud of Biden for not selecting her as his VP, and it’s not sexist or racist to point out that Stacy hasn’t won any useful pro-democracy victory against the Georgia GOP, but managed to elevate herself to national fame and profits.
This CD article explains that Stacy ain’t what she seems to be:
~~https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/26/stacey-abrams-progressive

2 Likes

Those brave people. Many Georgians are probably going to die for this right - again - thanks to Gov. Brian Kemp and the virus.

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1cfjh6VfE

6 Likes

“[It] shouldn’t take hours to participate in our democracy.”

Time to wake up, if we actually had a democracy, none of this voter suppression would be happening.

“It’s great to see so many people excited about voting.”

They’re having to vote in person, in a pandemic, it’s not out of excitement, it’s out of desperation, trying to hang on to their lives by a thread.

4 Likes

my one hope in all this is that the Democrats will come out and fight HARD for the right of every citizen to cast a ballot and have it counted-that our election systems make it easy for the people to register and vote-this should be a major campaign issue–

do I think that the Democrats will fight for our democracy-for the universal right to vote–to revive the promise of democracy in our country??? not really --I believe they will behave as they have been behaving done decades–playing patsy to the Republican election frauds, crimes, and high jinks

when this tragedy of allowing an ignorant racist,fascist clown to get elected we will reject the pathetic fools who in so many ways enabled this and start to work on getting what we really need --a party that represents us–a party that is not tied to dollars from corporations used to subvert our democracy-a party that is more interested in representing the needs of the majority than their donors(bribers)----a People’s Party(.org)

3 Likes

There will be a series of errors to hold up lines, hoping people will give up. Kemp needs to spend a little time in jail for this.

1 Like