Home | About | Donate

Massive Power, Dangerous Lies, and Why Corporations Like Facebook Must Be Broken Up

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/07/massive-power-dangerous-lies-and-why-corporations-facebook-must-be-broken

1 Like

As much as this would be desirable, it is not going to happen. Not in this country.

Yes, Reich is correct here. We need an effective way to accomplish this, however.

Nationalization and government regulation may have some beneficial effect at some time, but I doubt that it can at present.

Utilities, including communication platforms, need to be managed by nonprofit NGOs.

1 Like

Instead of breaking up these behemoths, why not retain their economies of scale and break up their concentration of wealth?

A Wealth Tax, or better, a Wealth Cap, would turn greed into generosity and oligarchy into democracy.

It may happen before Americans become smart enough to ignore the “easy and entertaining” news. Talk about not going to happen.

1 Like

Go a step further: Lock 'em up!

1 Like

What a joke of a report. You expect a fascist, corrupt government to correct its fascism? Eisenhower warned of the MICx and what did they do? Murder the very next president, then MLK, then RFK and then led the country into one idiotic, immoral war after another! They run this country, the media, both political parties. Ever wonder what all this impeachment crap is designed to distract us from? The implementation of 5G genocide, that medical care is the third leading cause of death in this country (and you want to medicare it?), or just maybe that our government is bought and paid for by the oligarchs hiding in the shadows. MLK said our government was the biggest purveyor of violence in the world (and for that they killed him) – not much has changed. Our government is our greatest threat to peace, freedom and basic prosperity. The real question here is how to get our government back, the one about of/by and for the people. When I see someone just blasting Republicans and not owning up to how the Democrats at the top of the food chain have equally betrayed this country, I question their intelligence or who they might be working for. Gopherit

2 Likes

“(Robert Reich) served as secretary of labor in the Clinton administration, for which Time magazine named him one of the 10 most effective cabinet secretaries of the the twentieth century.” Might be worth looking at that ‘service’ in terms of who exactly it served! "He’s co-creator of the Netflix original documentary “Saving Capitalism.” ‘Saving Capitalism’ for the benefit of the big capitalists, not for the people - that’s for sure! Not to mention, in this very piece, “Or even if Russia and Iran repeat the lies in their own subversive posts” - Russia? Maybe. Iran? Really? First I’ve heard of it! Iran supporting Trump? Do not make me laugh!!!

1 Like