Home | About | Donate

Max Blumenthal Arrest Exposes Hypocrisy of Western Media and ‘Human Rights’ NGOs

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/03/max-blumenthal-arrest-exposes-hypocrisy-western-media-and-human-rights-ngos

4 Likes

I wrote the NPR ombudsperson public editor to inquire about why NPR has consistently had coverage that is highly critical of oppression of journalists in countries that the US government characterizes as adversaries/enemies, but no coverage of the arrest of Max Blumenthal. If they respond, in a reasonable time, I will post their response.

5 Likes

Don’t hold your breath. I’ve tried writing that “ompudsperson” regarding other blatant misrepresentations, omissions, etc. and I’ve never received a response. NPR sucks
big time.

6 Likes

Thanks CD for printing this. Here is Max and Aaron Mate.

Peace
Po

6 Likes

I know. However, among the liberal elite NPR is sublime, so getting it is good to expose their hypocrisy. I also wrote NPR about their, almost exclusively pro-Guiado coverage regarding Venezuela. I was eventually referred to the general form letter they produced which amounted to, essentially, a dismissive middle figure to anyone who challenges NPR.

4 Likes

NPR is called National Petroleum Radio for a reason. Venezuela remains a target for The Empire and its Oiligarchies, who run all things regarding the MIC/Multi-National Corporate Web. Watch for a false flag " incident " off the coast of disputed territories claimed by both Guyana and Venezuela. It’s a target rich environment for them.

The MSM hypocrisy of the Blumenthal arrest in our nation’s capital simply illustrates what’s so out of balance with the 4th Estate.
Blumenthal admittedly was not a passive stenographer in the Venezuelan standoff. But, that’s very small potatoes in the overall Police & Security response and resulting treatment of a working journalist. However, the gangsters running things really don’t want to eliminate the news and its reporting. It just wants to control the content and official spin right at the scene of the crimes. Jail cell deaths are so messy and all; with cameras, human rights orgs. and such it’s better just to torture the messenger nowadays.

5 Likes

Free speech has always been allowing the people to speak freely as long as they are not deemed threats to the 1 percent.

You can rant and rail about the system all you like. The 1 percent sees it as a way of relieving pent up anger and emotion that might otherwise be used more directly against the system they wish to protect. When that free speech is deemed to dangerous or something that might in fact wake the people up en-masse then it will be removed, either by arrest (Blumenthal, Assange) or by assassination (Martin Luther King)

3 Likes

NPR is an arm of the state that arrested Blumenthal. We need a better word than hypocrisy to descibe, for example, the Saudi press’ coverage of MBS’ murder of Khashoggi.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Blumenthal is an effective journalist, who bases his findings among other things, in critical thinking. And that’s why he is targeted and of course neglected by the old media…that has more important things to report on…such as what celebrities eat for dinner and who said what to whom. Intentional of course.

3 Likes

Remember that Oil from Venezuela is heavy oil akin to that from the Tar Sands in Canada. This oil can only be refined in special refineries.

The Koch brothers own a pile of these on the Texas coast. They buy this Oil at a discount, refine it and sell the products from it at full price. This oil in many ways is more profitable for Koch Industries.

Note in the Jimmy Dore interview how the cops so EAGERLY participated in this persecution. The Police will not be there to protect your rights, they are there to SERVE the 1 percent.

6 Likes

This story and the actions surrounding the Venezuela Embassy in DC this past summer should convince even the strongest doubters that we are anything but a nation of laws, applied evenly to all citizens. We have forgotten that laws not embraced by the majority of society, should not be legitimized by following them. We have a civic duty to resist and break such laws, those of you who enjoyed the magical plant before the half-assed partial legalization of it, should understand my point. Lets remember this the next time were protesting, or being handled like chattel by the 1%'s enforcers.

3 Likes

The land of the free and home of the brave this country IS NOT

NPR and the mainstream media are mere propaganda outlets for the state.