Home | About | Donate

'May His Many Victims Across the Globe Rest in Peace': George H.W. Bush Dead at 94

'May His Many Victims Across the Globe Rest in Peace': George H.W. Bush Dead at 94

Common Dreams staff

As corporate media gloss over the former U.S. president's record with fawning tributes and sanitized obituaries, some observers took to social media to highlight key aspects of the record and legacy of George H.W. Bush, who died Friday at 94.

Among the 41st president's acts during his political life Twitter users noted were his role in the Gulf War, Central America, the Iran-Contra affair:

As RNC Chair, UN Ambassador, CIA Director, Vice President, President, and father to a President, I’m guessing that no other person in American history has had advance warning and participation in planning more interventions in other countries than GHWB. This was a black hole that consumed his “thousand point of light.”

Where Trump is dumb, GHWB was lethal.

“W” was lethal in his own way, don’t forget.

I will mourn him just like I will mourn all other terrorist leaders: With a toast to his death.

It’s interesting to see the difference between the responses here and those for less highly placed psychopath John McCain.

I do not mean to complain: the responses here seem much more appropriate. I am wondering what factors might be involved in the difference and what they might say about our attachments to our aristocratic madmen.

When comparing GWB and his shrub I find it difficult to decide which of the two was the lessor evil. GWB was by far the more intelligent and competent evil. In stupid unnecessary destruction and destabilisation his spoiled, shallow son in his hubris far excelled his father.

. . . and maybe now some more documents on JFK’s murder can finally be released?

I read a headline this morning from some idiot with the BBC labelling the Bushes as the “new Kennedys” or something to that affect. It was people like the Bushes who killed the Kennedys. The big money boys, the military/industrial complex that Eisenhower warned us about in his farewell speech. The older Bush, himself, may have very well been personally involved. The Vietnam War alone was hugely profitable for these people. JFK was a threat with his leanings toward FDR liberalism and social benefit programs. These programs don’t pay the war industry anything. They just help people.

This country seems to be irresistibly drawn towards what we are: A rightwing oligarchy run for the benefit of a handful of billionaires and mega corporations. Everything seems to be directed toward their benefit at the expense of the rest of us. And what is to stop them? People who only know what they read on social media and other shallow electronic sources of information?

Do you know that the majority of Americans and Europeans don’t even know what the Holocaust was? How can they see the neo Nazi movement in these two geographic areas if they don’t understand the historical context from which the Nazis and Fascist came from? We are so screwed.

The world will be a much better place when many of these families that knew less about governance, and more about greed, are turned to dust.

Corrupt and venal to the core, like the entirey of the Bush Clan. The friends of fascists everywhere, this guys daddy was one of those involved in an attemted coup by fascists inside of the United States. Rather then locking the bastard up, his money and influence protected him so that his rotten sons could carry on the work.

Knew i would find a decent article on CD to set the record straight about Bush.
Unfathomable all the fawning, putrid ‘patriotism’ oozing out of the ruling class and their media.

Someone, finally, read his lips.

Looking forward, Trump’s death will be a cause for Global Celebration.

Let’s not forget his defense of Nixon after Nixon’s blatant criminality was more than apparent. If not for the Watergate tapes, his “heroic” turning against Nixon likely never would have been.

Yes, we are “reflecting”—- CNN news entertainer, Wolf Blitzer!
on Daddy Bush’s legacy of “The Highway of Death” in Persian Gulf War I…
and siring War Criminal “W”—which ain’t much of a legacy …

What does it say of us as a people if we allow the likes of GHWB, GWB, Kissinger, Cheney, MBS, and Putin, walk among us unchallenged?

Reagan may, be dead but he has become a superhero to the fascist GOP.

Thanks, I hadn’t heard of this. Here’s a link to The Whitehouse Coup by Mike Thomson, BBC Radio

Go to: https://archive.org/details/TheWhitehouseCoup

What a terrible legacy to leave behind when so many cannot mourn his passing and wait for more of his ilk to die.

Where Reagan seemed like the talking head for an evil administration, I got the feeling that Bush, Sr. was more hands-on evil, involved in the formulation and implementation of an evil agenda that was uniquely his own.