Home | About | Donate

May Looking Bright for Sanders as Political Revolution Marches On

May Looking Bright for Sanders as Political Revolution Marches On

Jon Queally, staff writer

Coming off a big win in Indiana and with the Democratic Party holding four more primaries this month, May could end up showing a resilient Bernie Sanders' campaign despite the concerted effort of the mainstream press to count him out.

With upcoming contests in West Virginia, Kentucky, Oregon, and the territory of Guam, Politico reports Friday that Sanders could be poised for another upcoming "win streak" against rival Hillary Clinton:

Bernie Sanders continues to tell it like it is - to expose the hypocrisy and 1% exploitation and usury. His leadership is vanished from the two-party press and talking-head whore dialogue but he maintains his commitment to tell truth to the people, and WE must maintain our commitment to support and fund his astonishing energy!
IF he can pull out convincing wins in the remaining contests the future may not yet be set. Unless he can gain the nomination and convince super-delegates and wider electorate of his massive strength and support he will have to consider other options......

Bernie or bust! PUMA!

If you have never been through the hollers (hillbilly talk for hollows all you spell checking grammarians), of Appalachia you cannot appreciate what it is like to live in a land of total poverty in the midst of almost indescribable beauty made ugly by strip mining, mountain top clearance, and the dumping of the slag and other wastes into a seriously important ecosystem for the entire eastern US.
Their poverty isn't just economic, it is also a poverty of the human spirit that for too many sees no hope that things will ever get better.
That's why opiate and meth addiction now supplement moonshine and alcohol as the preferred self-medication to attempt to heal what ails these people. Bernies message should go over as well in West Virginia as it did in Flint Michigan.

Here are a few of those photos: http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/west-virginia/depression-wv/

What I would really like to see is for some people to publicly question Clinton and Trump and Sanders on their support for The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and on how they would improve American compliance with this important UN Resolution. Is this not the essence of the New Deal? Virtually every issue that Sanders raises in his campaign follows from the 30 Articles of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights .

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

I hope Bernie is still in it when the sixth largest economy in the world has a chance to vote and have an effect on the democratic convention platform. Wait for Ca. Bernie.

And a big THANK YOU to Jane Sanders !

Most of the article is excellent. Some of it is indigestible.

Can someone tell Jon Quealy this is not a complete sentence & it makes little, if any sense as written: "While the upcoming May primaries give the Sanders campaign "reasons to believe," as Politico puts it, his focus on such issues as free higher education, Medicare for all, and addressing surging income and wealth inequality that is fueling the support he's receiving."?

I, too, can and do get excited about the Bern's prospects; it is about all our prospects! But what a waste to have such a great opportunity reaching this superior audience of active citizens and piling up words and phrases as if they will somehow magically edit themselves into meaningful sentences!

Spare us, please, Mr. Quealy!

It's a right-wing meme but I'm sure Clinton wouldn't contest it.

There is a fundamental difference between Sanders and Clinton supporters:

Clinton supporters don't want to lose ground to Republicans. They want to dig in and hold on to what they've got. They fear the loss of progress on abortion and civil rights. They want a candidate who will fight to maintain the status quo.

Sanders supporters aren't happy with the way things are. We see the impact of increasing economic inequality and how it impacts every aspect of people's lives. We want change for the better.

To those desperate not to lose ground to the Republicans, I've got one thing to say:

The best defense is a good offense.

You're backing the wrong candidate.

Dear DNC: We Greens and Independents agree to vote in Hillary, but for
just one request - An ALL expense-paid, state-sponsored emigration, to
the country of our choice, with full dual-citizenship and a yearly,
life-long stipend (equal to $ the average middle-class income of say,
America), for our compliance. And in return, we promise not to occupy
the Philadelphia Democratic Convention! Not as good a deal than a
Goldman-Sachs speech, but what the hey!

Before a revolution (in any sense) can be sparked, it's necessary to figure what, and for whom, the revolution is. In a nation as profoundly divided as ours, the old "99%" theme defies all logic.

On poverty, yes, Sen. Sanders used to speak out powerfully about poverty and the need for legitimate poverty relief. (It's impossible to save/rebuild the middle class without shoring up the poor.) Since Bill Clinton threw the poor off the cliff, liberals have stood in solidarity with the better off alone -- workers, preferably middle class. That's just the way it is.

We have a poverty crisis, not just a low wage problem. We already tried decades of calling for jobs. Looking ahead is good, but we must also deal with the present. Not everyone can work (health, etc.) and there aren't jobs for all. The US shipped out a huge share of our jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s. You can't get a job once you no longer have a home address, phone, bus fare. What do you think we should do right now about all those who are left out?

I really haven't heard Sanders supporters say much of anything about "inequality," beyond wanting to reduce the gap between middle class and rich. Nothing new there. As far as I can tell, the agenda for addressing poverty remains Reagan's trickle-down economics theory.

Note to all: Consider the difference between "low income" and "poor." We do, indeed, turn our backs on the truly poor today. Not everyone can work (health, etc.) and there aren't jobs for all. The US shipped out a huge share of our jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s (TANF is a short-term, marginally subsidized job program, only for those with children.)

Yes, Sanders is charismatic, he doesn't stop to inspire people and he is the one. The one to humble Wall Street and to defeat both the corrupt in the Democratic party, and the otherwise unstoppable Trump. I hope he wins the coming streak against Clinton, because Clinton cannot become the president, she is involved in too many scandals, and she is "careless" (code for corrupt) in matters of national security. She is not qualified. She will promote wars on behalf of the MIC, as she did in the past, and money will flow to her foundation from unavowable sewage. Bernie or bust!

That is true enough. The media and politics have ignored The Universal Declaration of Human Rights for years now, I would not be surprised if most of the Millennials have even heard of it. The Declaration was mostly not supported by the elites. The elites would not favour discussion of it. ssssh. Keep it quiet because you would not want the masses to discuss this.

Again. What I would really like to see is for Clinton and Trump and Sanders to be questioned on their support for The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and to be asked how they would improve American compliance with this important UN Resolution. We can comply with its principals even if it is not ratified. Now is a good time to put these New Deal topics back on the table and to bring The Universal Declaration of Human Rights to the attention of the Millennials. The question is not whether the elites want it and would ratify it. The question is whether the 99% are properly aware of it and will want The Universal Declaration of Human Rights ratified.

A good time to discuss the The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is when there is a politico pushing New Deal arguments. Do you see any practical way to bring The Universal Declaration of Human Rights into the electoral debates during this year's primaries?

not to be a grammar nazi, but that sentence caught my eye, too :wink:

found myself thinking who's writing this stuff?

thanks for the link.

i'm slightly older than millenials, but i wasn't familiar with UDHR. you learn something new every day.