Home | About | Donate

Maybe Obama’s Sanctions on Venezuela are Not Really About His “Deep Concern” Over Suppression of Political Rights

Maybe Obama’s Sanctions on Venezuela are Not Really About His “Deep Concern” Over Suppression of Political Rights

Glenn Greenwald

The White House on Monday announced the imposition of new sanctions on various Venezuelan officials, pronouncing itself “deeply concerned by the Venezuelan government’s efforts to escalate intimidation of its political opponents”: deeply concerned.

“Human rights is the weapon invoked by the U.S. Government and its loyal media to cynically demonize regimes that refuse to follow U.S. dictates,"

Glen really gets to the point here, I think. I love it that he causes this administration so much "Grief". The awful truth is that if a country will not allow the u.s. to take it's natural resources; they are our enemy. Why can't we admit that? If we believe so much in unregulated, un-restrained capitalism let's debate whether or not "we the people" support that. Or, possibly, "The Powers That Be," know that we don't, and aren't going to ask. In which case we don't have a Democracy, do we?

Venezuela is a threat to U.S. security? Well that is a true statement if Obama means Venezuela's vast oil reserves and political independence from the Amerikan empire is a nascent, potential, security threat to the vested interests of the American, economic elite.

Sadly, the opposite is true: The U.S. is a grave threat to the security of the people of Venezuela, in fact the entire planet. I wonder if Obama even knows how ironic and bizarre his pronouncements sound these days.

Finally an article on CD on Venezuela. It is an embarrassment that it took until Obama mentions Venezuela that Commondreams decides its a subject worth mentioning. The attempted coup, not a word.
Good on Glenn but I read his article on the Intercept already.

Just like Cuba was in 1963...

The ones the Venezuelan government arrested were not repressed dissidents, they were coup conspirators.

Free all of the conscientious whistleblowers and cease all actions against Edward Snowden, and while you're at it, Kathy Kelly and those that merely trespass upon your gated grounds.

They gotta see how it works; Kathy only got more effectively persuasive.

Thank God the President is actively trying to stop the threat from Venezuela. Do you actually want him to wait until Venezuelan troops are swarming over the border? Do you want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud?

Even worse, "Canada–Venezuela relations have been on good terms since the establishment of diplomatic relationship between the two countries in the 1950s." (wikipedia) Also, Canadians monitoring the 'election' of Chavez in 2006 "..described the conduct of the election as generally satisfactory." (wikipedia) That's right, CANADA SUPPORTED THE 'ELECTION' OF THAT COMMIE!!!

You know what we're facing here? A BATTLE ON TWO FRONTS!!!

A Canadian/Venezuelan AXIS OF EVIL!!!!

Bomb 'em now before they bomb us!!!! It's a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY!!!

Tomorrow could be too late!!!!

Be careful Glen - you are pushing the envelope a bit here. I know that, what the US is doing to Venezuela is obvious from where you are sitting in Brazil. But I'm sure your boss, billionaire "libertarian" tech-geek capitalist Omydiar is all for deposing the elected government so that freedom and free markets (for the rich, including himself, others, not so much) can reign.

And you even quote the full-blown left wing Marc Weisbrot too!

The more bizarre the better as far as I'm concerned. The day the USA is declared the totally discredited laughingstock of the world will be a big turning point for progress for the world.

"The awful truth is that if a country will not allow the u.s. to take it's natural resources; they are our enemy. Why can't we admit that? If we believe so much in unregulated, un-restrained capitalism let's debate whether or not "we the people" support that."

The awful truth is that it has NOTHING to do with "We, the People." Elites want in, so elites use their captured media to frame another nation's leadership as a threat to America.

If unrestrained capitalism actually benefitted, We, the People, then 40% of Americans would not be a paycheck away from homelessness, all of the manufactured (mostly faux derivatives) wealth of the past 8 years would not have arrived in the hands and coffers of the 1%, and millions of citizens would not be on food-stamps.

Conflating what Deep State interests do to further THEIR own agenda is not indicative of The American People.

Why can't YOU admit that the WE frame--that hides who actually plans, directs, and executes the conquering campaigns... in no way benefits the American people, nor would most go along with these false measures were they told the truth.

A far more honest and apt frame than that posted by Norcal.

Do you "get it" that the USA is not the issue. The nation, as a whole, is not privy to these polices and far more persons would oppose them if they didn't get their fake news from mainstream media suppliers.

U.S. elites are always aiming at wealth, power, greed and aggression.

There, I fixed it for you. Is Truth that hard?

And here's the civil engineer on duty to try to slime Glenn Greenwald and Mark Weisbrot. He's such a radical revolutionary that he belittles anyone who challenges the false flag event. What bona fides!

Save your drivel for the uninformed. Chump.

The US is the world's most terrorising power.

Hands down.

Perhaps more so than all the rest of the world combined.

President Maduro may be a thug; but the problem is he is not Amerika's thug!