Home | About | Donate

Me Too. And You. And You

Me Too. And You. And You.

Jill Richardson

We can't stop sexual violence until we understand how very mundane it is.

Men act shocked and horrified to hear of women’s sexual assaults, but remain ignorant that the perpetrators are other men around them — their coworkers, their buddies, their family, and maybe even themselves.

Me too.

I have known several women in my life that have been the victims of sexual assault and rape, and some were children when it happened.

I have seen what it has done to them in their lives, to their self-esteem, to their interpersonal relationships, to their emotional stability. I have made myself available to listen and support them any way that they would allow me to.

I too, was approached by a man one day in the early 60’s as I was riding my bicycle about a mile from my home which was out in the country, all alone. I was maybe 9 or 10.

He pulled his car up and slowed down so he could look at me out his driver’s window. Since this was a country road, there were no other cars in sight. He smiled at me and exposed himself. I knew I only had a couple seconds to turn my bike around and head for home as fast as I could go.

I was scared to death but I knew that I could leave the paved road and ride towards the woods if need be. My Great Uncle’s farm was about a half to 3/4 a mile away.

I made it there.

Yes, Me Too.

Me too. Children both boys and girls are vulnerable.

I must have been the subject of some what-about-the-boy discussions between my public school teachers and my parents, as I was packed off to a boarding school in the middle of second grade. It was there that I was raped by an older student, who secured my immediate silence with the threat of death. Not until well into my second marriage was I able to tell even one other person, due to my own shame and revulsion. My parents died before I could find a way to tell them that wouldn’t sound accusatory—and that was many years after.

So-called “sex” crimes are only incidentally about sex. Rather, they’re demonstrations of power by people who go through life feeling otherwise powerless—and yes, this applies even to apparently-powerful figures such as Harvey Weinstein and Donald Trump, whose pathologies can be found anywhere between the front and back covers of the DSM. #MeToo is a powerful tool for healing.