Home | About | Donate

'Meant to Hide the Poor': Trump Gets His Wall—In India—Ahead of Monday Visit

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/21/meant-hide-poor-trump-gets-his-wall-india-ahead-monday-visit

The article says:
“… state of Gujarat, where Modi was once governor…”
Modi was not the Governor of Gujarat, he was the Chief Minister. Under normal circumstances, it is the chief minister who runs a state government, the governor’s role being largely ceremonial.

Please correct the article.

Peace.
ths.

Not all US citizens are empire minded or tRump followers. Likewise, not all Indian Hindus are Modi followers or fanatics. Frankly, the USA banning Modi (at a time past) does not impress me much as many other foreign dastardly characters come and go as they please.

Peace.
ths.

1 Like

This is not the first time India has built walls to hide the slums.

2 Likes

“The poor” is a use of terminology that needs clarification every time it is used. “The poor” IN FACT are peoples & persons who have been subjected to systematic IMPOVERISHMENT. In education Betsy DeVos is assiduously cranking through her orders to make sure that the generation coming up is split into a very few controllable educational constructs. The very rich as figureheads; the wannabe rich as subservient minions simply creaming to be rewarded and used as human shields through debt enslavement, which they then implement to control those already impoverished, who are denied the actual spectrum of education that fosters creativity, autonomy, collegial engagement and sustainable evolution.

Its sort of a sado-masochistic model of politics. Governance? At present it would appear to be hollow ritual to make as many people as possible do the dance steps as ordered. You know, a ‘boot camp’ model.

2 Likes

With that many people you would think they would embark on a pyramid building era. The Chinese built their wall with a huge population to accomplish it.

True. But many other people are banned for flimsy reasons and others are not banned even when good reasons exist. So I don’t take State Department’s visa denial as a measure for anything. The hands of the measurer are hardly clean as you very well know.

One can win the electoral college in the USA without winning the popular vote, as the orange man and others have done. That is a deficit of democracy in the US. In India, which replicated the British system, a party can win huge majorities in the legislative bodies with a minority of total votes cast (as there are many political parties, not just two or three). So the party that forms the government often has way less than 50% votes in its favor. That is also the case with BJP, and it used to be the case with Indian National Congress. That said, the BJP does have a huge following of (dare I say) deplorables.

I am, however, hopeful that the popular opinion is shifting against BJP. It has lost several state elections last year. There are demonstrations against BJP’s anti-Muslim legislation.

If only Modi were a clown (sigh). He is a fascist backed by a segment of Western Indian capitalists.

Peace.
ths.