Home | About | Donate

Meat Tax Crucial, Says Analysis, to Combat Climate Crisis and Global Health Threats

Killing highly complex sentient life without necessity is inherently evil.

3 Likes

Avoiding and reducing unnecessary harm to highly sentient beings is not a “personal value” but a foundation of all morality. Going vegan is easy, healthy, economical, sustainable, and kind.

3 Likes

You sound just like a Trump supporting climate change denier in your dismissal of peer reviewed science that has concluded through many careful studies that meat consumption is a significant producer, one of the highest, of greenhouse gases and environmental damage in general but, hey, accepting those studies would impact on your lfestyle and what you like doing so instead you’ll choose to insult the people who present those facts to you as ‘liberal (you forgot unwashed) hippies, puritans’ (anyone with morals is a puritan to such people I guess, I’m sure Roy Moore would agree with you) and just dismiss everything they say as nonsense! Spot the difference, between you and them? Talk about hypocrisy!

And climate change apart, what about the the actual fact that eating meat usually involves cruelly rearing other sentient creatures that feel pain and suffer and don’t want to die anymore than you do and then slaughtering them or doesn’t that even come into it? Some lack of empathy there. And when empathy has gone, well you are capable of anything. I’m not religious but as St. Francis of Assisi said “If you have men who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.”

Also, humans are not natural omnivores they came to that only late in their evolutionary development, there’s tons of evidence to suggest this. Moreover, what makes us human is we have choice and can choose which part of us we want to cultivate otherwise you’re no more ‘evolved’ than the animals you chose to eat.

2 Likes

Meatless Mondays have been around for ages, but, as a strategy, doesn’t seem to have worked seeing as you and most people haven’t heard of them.

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

1 Like

Wheat Belly: “Cutting-edge research, for example, has revealed that consumption of modern wheat is the first step in triggering autoimmune diseases such as type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis.” http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/ and http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/about/

It isn’t meat so much as it is the modern diet especially grains that are so harmful to the health of humans.

1 Like

Health of the planet and health of the individual are now the more frequent arguments raised against meat and diary. (Of late, ‘inhumane’ factory farms’ argument has been largely shoved aside.) The irony is, factory farms are actually the very reason for harm to the environment and the body. The data is quite convincing for the degradation of both the environment and the body by their products, predicated on a business model of avarice.

On the other hand, open pasture fed cows, with chicken scratching their patties, and organic raw milk and dairy, are exactly what the environment and body need; The is especially true for proper brain development in the young: Their brains need non-denatured cholesterol and fat. For a smarter next generation, we have to be willing to pay more for good meat and dairy.

Don’t eat this, and don’t eat that, are broad stroke, simplistic and non-science based prescriptions

Suppose we cut down our portions and frequency, but buy only Whole Foods type pasture fed meat and dairy. In time the small farmers may stand a chance against Walmart, and derive a higher income. Win win.

Meat fell out of my diet without much thought and zero intention.

I have known for many years that antibiotics are necessary for factory meat and fish production. I myself was once a beef farmer, a sometimes actual cowboy who could work all day bucking 90 pound bales of hay.

Now I cook with brown rice, black beans, garlic, onions, tomatoes and greens. No butter or bread. A few years have gone by and I am approaching the physical shape i was in during my early thirties hay farming years.

Learning to cook with hot peppers was a big breakthrough. The strong pepper burn disappears with cooking. Use measuring cups and make up a recipe. Eat as much as you can and obesity will evaporate while you do it.

1 Like

" …humans are not natural omnivores they came to that only late in their evolutionary development …"

Before we branched off from the great apes, proto humans began to add meat to their diet. This resulted in many morphological changes, not the least of it was shifting from a large conical vegetable stuffing abdomen (like the great apes) to a barrel shaped one. We stood more erect, became bi-pedal, and grew larger brains. Our very evolutionary changes hinged on a omnivore diet.

1 Like

Excellent, sagacious reply!

There’s no doubt folks are being nickel and dimed to death by taxation, but can we please stop it with the liberal-tax-monger language. The GOP just passed a whopping tax hike on the middle class and poor to give their rich friends a break. It offsets the $5 billion reduction to the top .2% of the nation with a near $5 billion dollar tax hike on everybody else, especially those between $50-100K/yr, over the next ten years. I’m not that concerned right now about paying a couple more pennies per pound of meat, comparatively speaking, especially since others pointed out this is going nowhere, at the moment.

My scarlet red state legislature just granted more tax breaks to the extraction industries, raised the gas tax by 25 cents (when prices were down so us stupid citizens wouldn’t realize we were being fleeced by our “no new taxes” legislature), all the while cutting the education budget. This has been my life experience. Republicans either raise taxes or create debt at an extraordinarily alarming rate, if not higher, than Democrats do. Yet the tax and spend Democrats label sticks like glue despite no difference between the propensity of the two parties to tax and spend, or deficit spend. This is just another way to keep the populace divided so we can’t unite against our oppressors–the bought and sold US government, the 1%, and the corporations they own and control. Government by either party will either create debt or raise taxes because that’s what governments do. Either way, We the People get screwed coming and going.

1 Like

As ever, a wise and well-said comment. Thank you!

That is why The Declaration of Independence says no taxation without consent. Taxing food? Get real. Keep milking climate change with false reasons like overpopulation. All with the goal of extracting more and more from the people of the world. The obesity issue is from poverty and having to eat foods high in carbs which usually cost less. Diet high in meat do not produce obesity. There was a period back in the 1970s where people were eating the all meat (protein) diet to lose weight.

Obviously, the “larger brains” have been very mixed blessings over the millennia…knowingly destroying the planet along with that which sustains the species.

And so have meatless Fridays ala the Roman Catholic Church back in the day.

Obviously you have the means to afford Whole Foods fare along with grass fed beef, free range chickens, organic produce, artisan breads, etc. There is a reason that Whole Foods markets are only found adjacent to upscale, higher income neighborhoods. Just look around the parking lot and count the luxury cars and SUV’ s parked in WF lots.

Wishful thinking. But even were that true, your reply ignores the other (economic, ethical, ecological) ill-effects of consuming animals and their fluids.

2 Likes

Write to the Pope. Tell him about those devout christian men who rail and rant against sex education, contraception and abortion because of their so sincere religious beliefs. Demand contraceptive education in all schools, free distribution of condoms and 40 year jail-time for the sexual abuse of a child.
It’s very easy to complain about there being too many humans but you are here aren’t you?

I don’t recall having a choice on being here. Did I miss something?

My wife and I had no offspring and I do plan on exiting early, if that makes you feel better.

this doesn’t’ punish the industry. it punishes the poorer strata of americans.