Home | About | Donate

Media Complicity Is Key to Blacklisting Websites

Media Complicity Is Key to Blacklisting Websites

Norman Solomon

We still don’t have any sort of apology or retraction from the Washington Post for promoting “The List” -- the highly dangerous blacklist that got a huge boost from the newspaper’s fawning coverage on November 24. The project of smearing 200 websites with one broad brush wouldn’t have gotten far without the avid complicity of high-profile media outlets, starting with the Post.

The Post's pathetic excuse for journalism is another ongoing example of the establishment media's struggle to maintain its monopoly on junk news. Can't have the peasants spending time at sites that don't measure up to their corporate standards. This is precisely the sort of elitism that turned off voters and helped put Trump in the White House. On a more positive note, it is a sign that the corporate media is getting nervous about maintaining it's control over what readers see. Bring it on.

such outlets as USA Today, Gizmodo, the PBS NewsHour, The Daily Beast, Slate, AP, The Verge and NPR

The new Iron Curtain.

Peace
Po

This is a very good and informative article except for the end, which referred to Harry Truman as a liberal.

Truman was a democratic party president who ordered the testing of atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima civilians. Liberals lost their morals along with republican conservatives quite a few years ago.

Democratic party slitherynes came out into the open and backed a looser in 2016. The two old parties barely match independents and don't match nonvoters who boycott oligarchy run by democrats and republicans.

The economic and war mongering, elite know their mendacious control of the MSM is starting to catch up to their canards through Websites that expose their lies of being fawning parasites and nothing but stenographers for the Oligarch's like the Intercept and many others that expose their lies. They are frantically looking for a way to censor and blacklist websites that are embarrassing them.

How is this a blacklist? How do you blacklist a website? The Post story is like any other, including websites. You read it or leave it. Take what you want from it, or ignore it. Same with the internet. There is a lot of crap on the internet. Apply the same method.

I had to get my pick up truck inspected today. On the way back from the inspection station, I turned on NPR and, whew, was there ever a McCarthyite rant going on. Russia this and Putin that and it was all absolute nonsense, not grounded in fact or reality whatsoever. I really don't like where this is going..

Peace
Po

The MSM is getting more and more unhinged as their readership and viewership fractures and declines.

The most dangerous beast is a cornered one after all.

Excellent article! Thank you Norman Solomon for exposing the Washington Post!

Doesn't surprise me from NATIONAL PROPAGANDA RADIO!

I'm going to Blacklist all Main Stream Media. I noticed google news search was coming up with tons of Washington Post articles lately. I'll never click on one again.

But there was before this a kind of black listing beginning to grow without mention of specific websites. Hillary Clinton in a speech supporting fracking claimed the Russians were behind anti-fracking protests. The NYTimes claimed that anti-TPP protests were Putin backed.

The FAKE NEWS is Mainstream media. Typical tactic --- pointing the finger and accusing others of the exact same thing they themselves are doing.

Fake news...? Hey, I have an idea-- maybe WAPO could follow this up with an interview with Judith Miller!

--Or, better yet, how about interviewing the thousands and thousands of Iraqis ravaged by GWB's invasion -- which managed to get support thanks to the NYT's publishing Miller's lies about WMDs. I believe they know all too well about the consequences of "fake news."

The billionaire fascists have seen the writing on the wall. They have four years to demonize any and all challenges to their free-for-all capitalism. Pitchforks and rotten fruit are their future if we can't be silenced. It's going to get a lot worse.

Good, but too many people do not realize what you realize and like I have said before, the MSM has a political, agenda that is why they never saw a war they did not support and have been nothing but cheerleaders for war criminals like Bush and Obama.