Home | About | Donate

Media Promised Better Coverage of the 2020 Race, and All I Got Was Kirsten Gillibrand’s Fried Chicken

Media Promised Better Coverage of the 2020 Race, and All I Got Was Kirsten Gillibrand’s Fried Chicken

Will Bunch

Poor Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand. The Democratic New York senator, now a 2020 White House hopeful, entered the race practically glowing with the current zeitgeist of today’s Democratic Party, the angry women who marched in the millions after President Trump was inaugurated in 2017 and converted that energy into a Democratic House majority last November.

How about a contemplation of how that chicken was raised. Caged? Free range? (Bet on the former.) The coverage of American politics has always been low brow as the easiest path to reach the lowest common denominator also reaches the most potential voters. The idea of actually educating potential voters about the facts and implications of the issues is seeming “too hard” for “journalism” in this country. Mike Judge’s Idiocracy (2006) was not really that far off of the mark. To quote Pres. Andrew Shepard in the fictional The American President (1995), “We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them .” Until America grows up politically, infotainment will “lead” the way (down the path of further debasement).

6 Likes

The Mainstream Media was instrumental in the burning down of Bernie’s campaign as was Hillary Clinton, the DNC, and the Democratic Party Establishment.

"Trust No One" least of all any of the above.

2 Likes

Fried chicken might be the least of our worries. By my count we’ve got another 629 days before the polls open on Election Day 2020, and the 24-hour news cycle is as ravenous for trivia and distraction as the media conglomerates are for ad revenue. Expect more—MUCH more—in the way of gossip, scandal, innuendo and rage-tweets, having nothing to do with actual policy.

There’s no practical reason elections have to take all this much time, except for this: the constant chatter about the candidates and how they’re polling day-to-day keep most of us from noticing how few meaningful choices we’re given, and how unresponsive to our real needs our supposed “representatives” are.

1 Like

Perhaps, if we all start right now, calling Republican and Democrat House and Senate slimeballs, demanding that no Corporate controlled politicians be put before us as potential presidential candidates, that would have some effect.

Not going to happen, is it?

Will, of course they are going to do it again, only this time, with a large field of Dem’s it’s going to be an even bigger dog and pony show than 2016. The public can once again not expect any coverage on issues that seriously effect them, or any serious background information that would be useful in their decision making process, or the policies of any third party candidate. They can only expect to learn who is the most right leaning candidate, why they can beat Trump, and that we need to get behind and vote for them.
Someone serve Gillibrand a snickers bar, if she eats it with a knife and fork, we might have a winner.

3 Likes

Sorry, just couldn’t get past this line: '… And the kind of journalism that equated what should have been a minor one-week mini-scandal over an email server…"

Why anyone would waste time getting their news from the MSM (including NPR) is beyond me?

2 Likes

That anyone could seriously write such nonsense as the quote above means they are willfully ignoring Tulsi Gabbard.

Willfully

1 Like

I actually find Bunch’s thinking that this issue of how to eat fried chicken as irrelevant pretty disgusting.

The idea that someone could get to the point of being a U.S. Senator running for the presidency and have no idea how to eat fried chicken means we’re dealing with an elitist so isolated from real life they must have NO idea what actual people’s lives are like.

It’s on a par with George H.W. Bush not knowing about grocery scanners or Marie Antoinette thinking that if people don’t have bread to eat they must have cake.

How in the world can some one have never watched a Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial or an episode of Mayberry or a million other shows where they are on a picnic or seen a Paula Dean show about chicken, much less had a bucket of fried chicken themselves after a long day of work with no time to cook, so you pick it up on the way home?

Only an elitist could think this kind of slap in the face of the average person’s way of life is irrelevant.

Then to use this to segue into another shallow Identity Politics discussion that the real issue in all this is the misogyny, which kept people from realizing how wonderful Hillary Goddamn Clinton was, is simply outrageous. Especially when the pundit spouting all this is careful to ignore the only real courageous woman in the race.

Mr. Bunch. Want to discuss real issues?

Then discuss ending these regime change wars. Discuss the media’s smear of Tulsi Gabbard.

2 Likes

This harkens me back to that photo of Michele Bachman going to town on that corn dog, or when the media made fun of a candidate in New York (I cant remember who) who cut a piece of NY style pizza up with a fork and knife (sacrilege)
Yup, that’s how far we have fallen. It’s not about global warming or war or Medicare for all. It’s about how you look eating a piece of fried chicken.
Outstanding

1 Like

Such coverage is only a surprise if one thinks of corporate media employees as “journalists”. In a system where we were all indoctrinated with corporate values, political myths, & socio-political-economic illiteracy, where entertainment is a higher value than facts, where oligarchs own the media, where the education system and all cultural institutions are corrupted by wealth & power, you will find no journalism within the large media companies - especially if any source of funding might be negatively impacted by, or get upset with, said journalism.

2 Likes

On a lighter note, Kamala Harris just got busted fibbing a street cred story about how she used to smoke dope and listen to Tupac records when she was in college–several years before Tupac and Snoop released their first records. Oops! Cultural appropriation?

Oh, it’s the corporatist. Crickets.

1 Like

I love these cultural faux pas. Now you have another Democrat who basically confessed they don’t know nuthin’ ‘bout eatin’ no fried chicken, Ms Scarlett!

I’m guessing she was puking her guts out not ten minutes after leaving and pleading with tears streaming down her face for a medicinal bottle of Perrier tonic and a perfectly constructed cheese blintz.

See them in their very much non-native habitat. And then tell yourself that they understand how hard your lives are.

1 Like

Speaking of a cultural faux pas, did you put on black face to type that first paragraph?

cold busted! just make sure before you leave, you don’t forget anti-semite!

Billy got elected because he played the sax. Barry got elected because he shot hoops. W got elected because he was a retarded, alcoholic thug (he had to pull out all the stops to transcend Daddy’s elitist rep.)

If Schultz has a whoops moment photographed coming out of his penthouse suite with a Styrofoam mug of Dunkin’, we’re screwed.

But it’s early. Nobody’s been on SNL yet. Might as well use it as a forum for the debates.

1 Like

I’ve always been struck by the prescience of the movie “Network” back in the 70’s to predict where we are today.

2 Likes

“I am mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!”
–Howard Beale

And to channel a little Arlo:

Walk into the shrink wherever you are, just walk in, say, “I am mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!”, and walk out
You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he’s
Really sick and they won’t take him
And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they’re both weirdos and they won’t take either of them
And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkin’ in, singin’
A bar from “Network” and walkin’ out? They may think it’s an Organization!
And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day
Walkin’ in, singin’ “I am mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!” and walkin’ out? Friends
They may think it’s a Movement, and that’s what it is THE I am mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore movement! And all you gotta do to join is to sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar

2 Likes

That’s ‘cause she’s still smokin’ and …slight memory loss.