Home | About | Donate

Media Roll Out Welcome Mat for ‘Humanitarian’ War in Syria

Media Roll Out Welcome Mat for ‘Humanitarian’ War in Syria

Belén Fernández

As she marches toward the US presidency, Hillary Clinton has stepped up her promotion of the idea that a no-fly zone in Syria could “save lives” and “hasten the end of the conflict” that has devastated that country since 2011.

And you can see the welcome mat right here on CommonDreams with the article headlined, "This must stop now." You can also see it with Amy Goodman on DemocracyNow when she covers the White Helmets front group shilling for humanitarian intervention.

You see, only Russian and Syrian bombs fall on children and hospitals. Our bombs don't even exist. Really. America never bombs anyone. In fact, America is not even the biggest arms merchant in the world, by far. We are totally for democracy and human rights, everywhere. You see, when we give people weapons and train them to torture we have no responsibility for how they use those tools. We were just helping them with their security.

Well done Belén Fernández, thanks for assembling this in the face of a media onslaught for warring Hillary... And thanks to Common Dreams for publishing it.

By the time the Gulf War started in 1991 the military industrial complex (MIC) had morphed into the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC). coining new phrases like "collateral damage" to sanitize the killing of civilians during wars and occupations. MIMIC's influence is now embedded in nearly all mainstream media and all elections.

Fernandez in this article and her book The Imperial Messenger: Thomas Friedman at Work, provide a much needed reality check on how we got to here from there.

Fernández sez: "(Bosnia and Herzegovina’s UN ambassador Muhamed) Sacirbey pulls this prediction out of a hat: 'Limited military intervention in Syria would save civilian lives, perhaps as many as 200 a week.'”

Umm ... I doubt that was 'a hat'.

Great reporting and I hope the local HRC lovers are reading this and the Nomi Prins piece. Call it pre-transaction buyer's remorse. Unless of course they are as jaded and amoral as the candidate. Here's another clue: NBR on PBS sez defense stocks are hot. Have a nice day.

But the author didn't point out the most recent and obvious lie of this so-called humanitarian intervention. It only took what - several days? for that last humanitarian no-fly zone episode to become the Libyan regime change operation it was always meant to be. And look how beneficial and humanitarian that effort has turned out to be; our magnificent men in their flying machines. This bullshit would have to take out all of Syria's (and Russians stationed there) aircraft and air defense systems, and then it is only a hop, skip, and jump to taking out the rest of the Assad government, which is what this has been about since the beginning. Humanitarian US intervention is factually a lie, and a naked oxymoron; this would be nothing more and nothing less than armed aggression to destroy a sovereign state government.

Kristof should be lashed to the front of a tracked mine-sweeper. Up-Chucked Toad is the fawning attendant in a glitzy men's bathroom.

Well Sacirbey might well be an asshat.

It was right here at CommonDreams that we read about poor president Slobodan Milosevic who died in prison for trying to save Yugoslavia from humanitarian destruction by USers. He was declared innocent of all trumped up charges after dying in prison and Yugoslavia was forever gone.

"Because, at the end of the day, humanitarian war just isn’t humanly possible." Great words and article Belén Fernández. Thanks.

Here is an interview with president Assad of Syria. He probably wishes he had been nicer to the 99% and less supportive of 1% corruption enforced by police brutality. Even so. Reality now is; there are a bunch of US armed foreign moderates hiding among the citizenry and they won't let the people leave the war zone. The mostly foreign moderates would not leave after being guaranteed safe passage by the UN. Aleppo is close to the Turkish border and where the foreign moderates came from. The moderates only made it into a portion of Aleppo, closest to Turkey.

http://theduran.com/must-see-assad-interview-syrian-president-debunks-barrel-bombs-and-boy-in-aleppo-white-helmet-hoax/

The no-fly zone in Iraq seemed to make sense because Saddam did not have the latest anti-aircraft defenses or fighter planes and taking out the Iraqi defenses was fairly straightforward. But it looks impossible in Syria. Russia has equipped Syria with modern anti-aircraft defenses and Russia is flying its planes over Syria. I think if Hillary Clinton is the next president she will give up this idea when faced with the reality of the situation.

Here's HC's chance to stardom and ego fulfillment! At long last! http://www.opednews.com/Quicklink/Cold-war-redux-Russia-unv-in-General_News-Cold-War_Cold-War-II_Russia_Russia-And-China-161026-103.html

A catastrophe of contrived conscience

Here are some other articles from The Duran:

theduran.com/author/alex

It's a right-wing site, so I know a lot of the "progressives" here will like it, but don't be fooled that this is objective in any way, unless you also think that James O'Keefe is objective.

What's this about that "poor" "innocent" Slobodan Milosevic? CD hosts a variety of opinion pieces and maybe this was meant ironically, as in "innocent - not".
But I still remember how he started the Kosovo conflict, with a reckless appeal to Serb nationalism, a highly emotive speech declaring "This land is your land! And no-one is going to take it away from you!"
Till then Yugoslav politicians had - mostly - tried their best to avoid this sort of rhetoric.
When I was there as a student in the 1950s, all the schools taught children Esperanto, as state policy, and I was told this was because of the history of wartime atrocities and the fear that this might poison the future. It seems Esperanto - a shared language - is ineffective against divisive, nationalistic rhetoric.
No, Milosovec knew what he was doing: pouring petrol onto a forest fire is hardly likely to put it out. And I don't think even his supporters would say he was just stupid and naive, or utterly insane, so couldn't have foreseen how dangerous his words and policies were.
All politicians need to be held responsible for the consequences of their rhetoric.
And the majority of the world - the have nots - need to remember Marx's point: the working class has no country to defend.
Let Bill Gates, the Koch brothers, the Rockefellers, the Warren Buffetts, and even the Trumps etc - let them do the fighting since they do have something worth defending, they do have possessions, oil fields etc, of huge value.
But for most of us, it's pretty obvious the Pentagon's programs are not there to defend our mortgaged homes or secondhand cars, just as these endless costly wars are fought for control over far more important issues than our paltry possessions.
Remember, whichever side wins a war, the workers don't end up owning those oil fields or diamond mines etc.
In short the so-called 'national interest' - draped in patriotic flaggery - is just an ideological way of dividing us, as Milosevic used Serbian nationalism to divide 'Yugoslavs' into fiercely hostile groups, spoiling for war.

Good article.

It is worth noting as well that these are the same media outlets that took instructions from Wasserman-Schultz throughout the primaries.

We are in for a Clinton presidency, which will mean sharp escalations in violence, and more of the sharp crimp on reporting that we have seen around the pipeline protests, with the multi-decade sentences for journalism.

It is also something of a final end to the Democratic Party as a lesser-evil electoral option: these are not socially concerned liberals but international military-and-finance warmongers and corporatists.

"As she marches toward the US presidency, Hillary Clinton has stepped up her promotion of the idea that a no-fly zone in Syria could “save lives” and “hasten the end of the conflict” that has devastated that country since 2011."

The puppet masters have spoken, Hillary jumps to assure them that as a humanitarian she will do their bidding, and the MSM shills pour out their approval! Everyone else is outraged , right?! I fear not - anything Hillary does is okay with her supporters as they march in lock-step behind her - probably won't even phase them. Hope the generals at least have the sense God gave a goose since their Queen does not. She will have Russia to blame for reacting after we "accidentally shoot down a Russian plane."

Who is innocent of the destruction of Yugoslavia? http://www.defenddemocracy.press/death-milosevic-nato-responsibility/

"Humanitarian War" is a complete oxymoron. This inhuman war and its tragedies must end.

I fully agree. I wish Belen would be represented much more in the media-she is on the ball, truthful, clear and compassionate. Thanks.

CharSkel seems not to have noticed that after all the years of demonization, trial and death of Milosevic, FINALLY it has been shown that he was NOT guilty as charged, and the "West" was wrong again, just like now.

Russia has been Syria's ally for decades. Assad requested support to fend off US-backed militants aka terrorists.

Hillary's grand plan is and has always been regime change.