Home | About | Donate

Medical Experts Speak Out as Trump Doubles Down on False Claim That Children Are 'Virtually Immune' to Covid-19

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/06/medical-experts-speak-out-trump-doubles-down-false-claim-children-are-virtually

3 Likes

From the Atlantic:

Immunology Is Where Intuition Goes to Die

Which is too bad because we really need to understand how the immune system reacts to the coronavirus.

~https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/08/covid-19-immunity-is-the-pandemics-central-mystery/614956/

One death every 80 seconds: The grim new toll of COVID-19 in America

“It will go away like things go away," President Trump claimed. Joe Biden says Trump is living in a world of delusion.

~https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-death-every-80-seconds-grim-new-toll-covid-19-n1235890

8 Likes

When one wakes up one usually finds what is going on in Trump world to be simply overwhelming, amazing, and exhausting. It is as if the United States, that alleged greatest country in the world, has retreated back to the Dark Ages in order to escape from the Age of Enlightenment. Science, it appears, has no place in the Trump administration where the nation’s leader dubiously proclaims once again that the coronavirus will “go away” while, as expected, offering no evidence to back up his claim. In other countries presidents and prime ministers behave intelligently and logically when they defer to medical experts when it comes to talking about the pandemic. But not here as Trump’s ego will not permit doctors and scientists to speak as Trump must, for some reason, show people that he, apparently as a “very stable genius”, is somehow smarter than those erudite individuals. And what is just as astounding is that about 35 to 40 percent of the people in this country are more willing to trust this demagogue than the people who have spent decades in the field of science and medicine.

“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world … would do this, it would change the Earth.”- William Faulkner

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.”-George Bernard Shaw-Irish playwright

5 Likes

He has already thrown our parents and grandparents under the economic bus, now he is trying to throw are children and grandchildren under the economic bus.

3 Likes

And he won’t like this:

~https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/aug/05/facebook-donald-trump-post-removed-covid-19

1 Like

Ever since Saint Ron ascended the throne in 1981 I have observed the GOP serially demonstrating that they eat their own children…figuratively and metaphorically, that is.

Recent Trump statements confirm that my observations have fallen short as the GOP ACTUALLY eats its own children…and ours.

2 Likes

Superb summary of immunity issues from Ed Yong of The Atlantic, thanks! From his conclusion:

What will determine our future with the virus is how long protective immunity lasts. For severe coronaviruses like MERS and the original SARS, it persists for at least a couple of years. For the milder coronaviruses that cause common colds, it disappears within a year. It’s reasonable to guess that the duration of immunity against SARS-CoV-2 lies within those extremes, and that it would vary a lot, much like everything else about this virus.

Yong astutely makes the point that allowing the outbreak to romp so widely greatly increases the likelihood of weird things happening: “When there are almost 5 million confirmed cases, something that occurs just 0.1 percent of the time will still affect 5,000 people.”

1 Like

Thanks Giovanna for your links, and thank you @Aleph_Null for your summary of The Atlantic article.

We have decided to have our son (15 going on sixteen) do grade 11 online this Fall. The Alberta gov’t here is Conservative, and has no grasp of the situation. Luckily, we’ve followed Dr. Bonnie Henry and the NDP in British Columbia for the most part, and so we are not out of control - yet ~

I suppose everyone has their own means of coping with this nightmare, which continues to gather speed. For myself, I am looking at the many vacations I spent in Hawaii beginning in July 1980 - just lucky was I beyond belief.

But like Turtle might say in the surf classic “The North Shore” (Netflix),

these days - “Not”.

Our governor wants to open schools in communities where under 1 in 1000 students has the novel coronavirus.

Now, what do you think is going to happen inside high schools with 1000 students?

It almost doesn’t matter which state’s governor just said that. She’s a Democrat.

The story with kids transmitting the disease is nuanced. First graders seem to have some partial immunity but not complete immunity by a long shot. Older students transmit the disease with about the same transmission rate as adults.

They’re mostly eating their own elders, at least this time.

Eating their own children? That’s “Drill Baby Drill.” Let’s get our pandemics straight.

Donny dolt strikes again.

1 Like

Hi nineteen50:
Yes Trump appears to Iike pitching peopIe under any kind of economic bus. Ironic too, that his son’s school has opted for online onIy----- I wonder if Trump even knows that?

3 Likes