Home | About | Donate

Meet Ava: The Chicken I Risked My Freedom For

Meet Ava: The Chicken I Risked My Freedom For

Eva Hamer

This past summer, I entered a place most Americans - especially those in urban areas - can barely even fathom: a place that sounds innocent, but when you step foot in it, you realize it’s one of the darkest places on the planet. I entered a modern farm.

Thank you Eva and Ava--and Mia--for opening our eyes and hearts a little more to the truth of our eating system. Each one of us has the power to make a profound difference for other creatures far weaker and more vulnerable than ourselves, vulnerable to living and dying in a misery that is not necessary and should not be normal. Go vegan: for health, for strength, for longevity, for humanity, for kindness and compassion, and for the planet. Or just go vegan one day a week, start with that!

https://www.carnism.org

Thank you for risking your freedom to tell the story of the darkness & hell that is animal agriculture. This makes me hopeful that one day we will be able to save them all. Keep going! Animal's lives are their right!

Thank you Ava to you and all those who speak on behalf of those who do not have a voice.

It is unfathomable to me how anyone can reconcile or deny this needless suffering imposed . . and . . . yes . . sanctioned by humans on our fellow creatures of this earth.

Bravo to "DxE [and others] who uses open rescue, disruptive protests, and community building to denormalize violence against animals."

This isn't farming and it gives farming, "real" farming, an undeserved stigma. This factory/corporate farming; genocidal meat production. How about this: quit eating so much meat and demanding it so cheap. Real farming cannot satisfy or compete with gluttonous demand. Stop buying factory farmed meat. It's that simple.

I forgot the most important thing: start treating animals better than humans. We are all Gaia's creatures and "animals" are really the best of the bunch.

Perhaps the Humane Society should speak with Ms. Hamer before declaring "victories" in changing the practices of Walmart and their avaricious ilk (http://www.commondreams.org/views/2017/01/27/big-ag-cover-will-factory-farming-finally-stop-its-culture-abuse).

I have a little flock of chickens. Some of my older gals, we call them the grannies are over 10 years old. They live what feels like a joyful life of treats, a cozy coop and a safe fenced yard so they can exercise and catch bugs.

They are beautiful intelligent creatures that enjoy life, have relationships and feelings as we do. We haven't eaten meat for most of our adult lives. Not really necessary with all the other healthy choices on the planet. And eating those beings that depend on you and trust you is beyond my comprehension anyway.

These weren't cheap eggs- they were priced at a premium for being cage free despite the cages. "Factory farming" is the norm, and even in relatively good conditions animal agriculture is exploitation for the benefit of humans, not for taking care of animals as in a farm sanctuary. There is no humane way to kill someone who does not want to die.

To Common Dreams' editors: While I appreciate you sharing this story, you are wasting your time appealing to the so-called "progressives" who frequent your website. After reading CD for years, I can predict with great certainty the number of comments posted on stories such as this. As I'm writing this, there have been 9 replies. That is about the usual number for a story like this - a handful. The vast majority of your readers don't have any qualms about supporting the torture and murder of other species or about eating the bodies of those tortured and murdered souls. Their "progressivism" is reserved for humans only, not for other species. They speak out against racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but have no room in their "progressive" agenda to fight against speciesism, because they themselves are speciesists. Maybe someday they'll wake up and recognize that all species deserve a life free from torture and murder, but I'm not holding my breath. But thanks anyway, Common Dreams.

Yes, holding one's breath awaiting an end to this curious lapse in moral sympathy would be unwise. But I do hope CD continues to include pieces that challenge speciesism.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, AnneFaith. Just check the Common Dreams article a couple of years ago by Chris Hedges -- Choose Life - April 20, 2015 -- about animal agriculture and going vegan. The comments on that article were so telling of how progressives don't want hear about animal abuse. They want to keep going to their "stop the drones chicken barbecues and pig roasts". It's unbelievably hypocritical of the left to leave animals off of their compassion list.
Thanks for pointing this out, AnneFaith!

Ms Hamer, I think you are mistaken when you suggest that an egg every 30 hours is ten times the normal rate. An egg every 30 hours means 5.6 eggs a week. In my limited experience (a close friend and my son) uncaged, naturally raised chickens lay 3-5 eggs a week, not one egg every ten days, as your statement implies.