Home | About | Donate

Meet Boris, the UK’s Climate-Denying New Prime Minister & "Donald Trump of Britain"

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/26/meet-boris-uks-climate-denying-new-prime-minister-donald-trump-britain

A must read, imo !

How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship by Ece Temelkuran (2019)

I’m half way thru this book, an intellectual reading an intellectual.

Learning ~ Big Time. Ece is a reporter from the old school, hard-bitten, been everywhere, seen everything, but she is cracker jack smart and honest - and secular - with a perspective only a European from Turkey could bring to the scene.

Preliminary thoughts:

The Middle Class is despised by both the elite power brokers and the Populists.

There is a developing natural tie between the Populists and the Elite - they need each other - nothing more - and nothing less. Necessity is fundamentally important.

The Middle Class are the great mediocre - neither ruthless enough nor gifted with Theodore Roosevelt’s ‘money touch’ to make it to the Elite, and positively scared stiff of working with their hands - getting them dirty.

The Middle Class is thus expendable - both from the perspective of the Elites and the Populists.

More later ~

PS:

• It is not thought possible to rationalize with the Populists ~
  • Class structure, read INEQUALITY - as spoken about by Per Molander 's “The Anatomy of Inequality” and Thomas Piketty’s “Capitalism in the Twenty-Furst Century” both come to the same conclusion - inequality is structural and bound to recur, again and again.
  • Difficult to change the structure, n’est pa?

Oh sigh, a really BIG and sad sigh.
I looked at BBC news today and the first question Boris put out to the public was…should we have a dog in the PM’s residence? I don’t think the cat will send for that, Boris. Sadly Boris, you are that dog ---- as Britain sinks into troubled waters with with no bridge in sight on which to escape. : (