Home | About | Donate

Meet Some Sanders Delegates Who Plan To Turn Anger Into Positive Action

Meet Some Sanders Delegates Who Plan To Turn Anger Into Positive Action

Isaiah Poole

Luz Sosa came to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia as a disappointed Bernie Sanders delegate. But she is leaving fired up to take on big political fights in her home town of Milwaukee.

“This election was never about Bernie Sanders. These elections were about issues the American people care about,” such as “families struggling to put food on the table,” said Sosa, who is Latino outreach organizer for Citizen Action Wisconsin and an economics professor at Milwaukee Area Technical College.

Talk about what you can do to keep the Revolution alive on my site www.totheleftoftheweb.org, and then take what you can into your community and work like hell for the people.

If we hit the corporatists with a one-two punch, from within the Party and outside the Party, we may finally put them on the defensive. I still have my doubts about reforming the Party, but the chance will certainly be there if(when?) Hillary loses in Nov. A Progressive Party and a peoples' Democratic Party, working together, along with a rejuvenated Green Party, could accomplish great things. There are people of principle already in the Party. They need our support as much as all the independent progressives do. Don't give up on them simply because they have a D in front of their name.

FYI I tried the link but it says the page can't be displayed three times.

I miss-typed the link! Yikes! It's fixed now. I usually click on it after I post to make sure it works!

"The soul of the Democratic Party is up for grabs" ????

Whatever "soul" the Party had was sold off when the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) was formed in 1985 and turned the Party into a billion dollar organization. There is no "soul" to be "up for grabs" in 2016. To regain any resemblance of a "soul" the Party would need to voluntarily jettison 90% of its revenue, something no billion dollar organization has ever done.

The Green Party is an international party. 10% of Germany's Bundestag are Greens. Ditch the domestic red and blue anachronisms and vote for a party that has global worth...vote Green.

seriously. god, I dislike CAF.

this made me laugh, too. if anything the lesson was completely the opposite, which I'm sure the operatives working at CAF are well aware of.

If people learned nothing else from this debacle, it's that the sul of the party is absolutely not up for grabs.

White noise machine and suddenly reserved seats to exclude Sanders delegates:

https://www.facebook.com/edenmcfadden9/videos/10153603623782077/

Finally some good news today.

i applaud all those delegates who come away from the convention ready to work for progressive change, for the movement for economic, social, and political transformation.

It's not about parties any more, but about principles and policies.

That is what it should have always been about. I hope we can remember this going forward.

She can prevent Clinton from winning? and we get who for President. Trump, and that is a good move? Not in my world.

You forget the near 60% of voters who don't want Trump or Clinton. A vote for either one almost assures us that 'your' world as well as ours, will no longer exist. I'm one of that 60% and I have kids and grandkids who will have to live in that future. Jill Stein is the safest bet we 'all' have. Republicans, Independents and Democrats, all voters need to realize the power of their vote. Trump and Clinton don't deserve it, nor have earned it. Vote to save this Nation and it's citizens future, not out of fear of the other. United we stand, divided we fall. Stand up for your country, your family and neighbors. Four or even Eight years of Stein will be better than Four weeks of Trump or Clinton. We need a pause from the powers that are controlling "our' government and the Two Parties that worship their donors and their cash. We can defeat Trump/Clinton if we stand together as One. What has your Party done to represent you?

“The soul of the Democratic Party is up for grabs,” said George Goehl, co-director of People’ Action ...

If anything, I believe the way the Convention was run, shows that this is not true at all. Oh, there was opposition, but it was trampled, and made no inroads, that will have permanence.

Poole patronizes Sanders' delegates here in a way that is insulting and misleading, apparently deliberately so.

He implies that only a few delegates walked or protested. That's false and probably an outright lie.

He implies that such actions are not positive. Care to defend the proposition?

He omits the fact, now otherwise out front and admitted, that the Clinton camp defrauded the electorate and stole the nomination. On what grounds may this be considered irrelevant to what a positive action might be for a Sanders delegate denied Democratic process?

Poole is also an author who wrote a few months ago that the African American demographic should not be criticised for voting for Clinton. At the time, the omission of why they should or should not vote for Clinton seemed unimportant in the light of apparent confusion over whether the demographic should be allowed an opinion. Now that Poole shows so little understanding or empathy for a substantial group of people who have just been so directly defrauded and robbed of democratic process, it appears to be part of more dangerous a pattern.

First Poole would claim that the political choice of a demographic is not to be criticised. And surely there has been no end of injustices perpetrated against black people. That does not mean that the general demographic or any other is always correct about its political choices, and it does not mean that these should not be discussed as such.

And in this situation, there certainly ought to be the freedom to criticise a candidate. Yet here Poole makes an ad hominem attack: petty, indirect, and evasive. I suppose he does indeed have a right to an opinion, though it might be better to have expressed it directly. Either way, did he really not come here to do better, initially?

Senator Sanders will not receive the Presidential nomination, however that is only half the battle.The other half is to revolutionise Congress. Bernie should extend his influence to getting Congressmen of integrity elected.

The political powers of both parties have yet to acknowledge or recognise the fundamental ethic behind the popularity of both Sanders and Trump: the American people are simply tired of Politics as Usual. To not extend The Revolution into Congressional races would be to miss a rare opportunity to clean up Congres.

The reason we Sanders Revolutionaries could have a real effect on Congressional election outcomes is that most elections are decided by a few percentage points and a concerted vote by a relative few can decide the contest. Considering the number of votes, both Democrat and Republican, Bernie got in the primaries; he has an extremely powerful tool at his disposal; upwards of 20%-25% of the electorate. The problem is which candidates to focus on.

On his web page Bernie could have his recommendations for each Congressional seat up for grabs this election season. Imagine a spreadsheet type page: One would click on one’s State then any of the Candidates. The spreadsheet columns would have Bernie's’ recommendation and the candidate's’ position on the critical issues etc.. Whatever variation on this theme is fine; the point being that it focuses Bernie’s revolution on Congress, which is actually more critical to effecting change than is the Presidency.

Whether the subject is the 1%, and their unfair share of the national wealth, inaction on Climate Change, True Election Reform (TEF) or other critical issues we will not get action until Special Interest Influence is removed from Congress. Only the Voters can change the mentality of Congress. Congress writes the election laws and only our elected representatives can change them. Hence the primary criterion on Bernie’s spreadsheet would be: “does this candidate believe in True Election Reform”?.

As an Independent Bernie can ignore partisan politics and make the Congressional Candidate's attitude and commitment to TEF the criterion for his recommendation. This is nothing more than the candidates foregoing an action that in most Democracies is illegal. Under more moral standards 90+% of the members of the US Senate and House of Representative would be in jail.

This is rare opportunity to actually make our votes meaningful. I hope Senator Sanders will stay with the program and make it happen.

Hear, Hear!