Home | About | Donate

Memory, Fire and Hope: Five Lessons from Standing Rock

Memory, Fire and Hope: Five Lessons from Standing Rock

Alnoor Ladha

"The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting." —Milan Kundera, The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

Keep expanding the demonstration in DC !

I must remember to love unconditionally

From the Ashes comes Standing Rock East, battling Northern Pass/Hydro Quebec, Little Black Snake!: * citizenuntiedblog.wordpress.com — Citizens Un-tied

We can't create the world we want

Until we live it in the world we don't

The ideas in this article may well be pointing us in the right direction for where we want to go but it is a bit short in the analysis of where we are coming from. That late-stage capitalism is the enemy isn't the real issue, it's the end of a path started long before the development of capitalism and if the roots aren't recognized and addressed then we may fall short in our remedy. We are living in a paternalistc death cult that goes back a very long time probably back to when humans took that wrong turn and developed agriculture. The consequences of that are still with us and it's hard to believe a long-term solution can arise without coming to grips with how we got on this road in the first place.

Some encouragement, some course-corrections from the comments responding to this article. I read it the day it appeared, and posted it at FB. Few commented there. One, maybe two, had any idea what this writer is offering! Such is the state of the movement's left side now. The ferment is encouraging; the absence of vision clarity is daunting.

We shall over come. I have the faith, though, I admit, the allies are spread out and still flailing about as much as if not more than organizing with allies. Allies are difficult to find unless we are looking for spiritual allies, moral allies, cooperative allies, generous, and forgiving and caring and determined to welcome course correction at every step lest we all fail.

Be well, Mr. Alnoor Ladha. The clouds are billowing. Darkening in places. Breezes blowing here and there. How shall we ride this storm through to...? For it is ecological, political, spiritual, not necessarily in this order.